JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: RIT Dye demo?  (Read 2307 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
RIT Dye demo?
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:08:41 AM »

There's been a lot of talk of RIT dyeing GI Joes as a fast and effective base-coating technique. Raptor's been practicing the technique and showing off his results. I know it takes a pot of simmering water to do, but is there anyway we hook-up a backyard-burner or something and have a demo of this technique at the Con?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
RIT Dye demo?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 11:11:47 AM »

I'm up for seeing great sculpted, badly-coloured joes in decent colours, if it's possible to hook-up a backburner in the hall.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
RIT Dye demo?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »

JoeCanuck the cooking show?  :shock:

Actually it's a potentially messy, long and boring process to watch. Definately bad TV unless we can get Page Davis in to do it.

You take 1/2 packet of dye, put it in a pot. Pour in an inch and a half water, bring to a simmer. Ad a few of your favourite neon colored joes and simmer (not boil) for about 30 min to an hour and a half at lowest heat. Check frequently, stir frequently, and rinse with cold water in a strainer when done. Wipe down with an old (but clean) sweatsock.  

You'd need a hotplate, a good stainless steel sink and an hour of more or less direct attention to do it. I usually watch TV while doing it, and that's actually screwed me up once.

I'm going to bring some examples of dyed joes, but it's really that easy. If you can make soup, you can dye joes. Just be careful and clean up after yourself.  

- Raptor
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"