JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: AFA Auctions  (Read 10490 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »

Quote from: ""AlleyViper""
I've got nothing MOC and like it that way.   :)

The thing that gets me, is that people still actually have these toys that are unopened from 20 years ago.  How the hell does that happen??

Uh, maybe I can help a bit with that. About 10 years ago when I worked at a comic store I came across another store that had bought inventory from another failed business. The had a bunch toys like Rambo, Silver Hawks, Transformers and G.I.Joe.
At this point I wasn't a die hard collector of G.I.Joe. I had been collecting since 82, but I wouldn't freak out over the Joes. I collected everything, but nothing die hard. Anyhow, this store had a bunch of Tomax Xamot packs, I bought 5, a lowlight figure and a Zandar figure. I sold the Zandar figure at the comic shop I worked at and I think I kept the Lowlight. The Tomax and Xamot I've trade, sold and gave away one but still have 1 set MOC on my way.
They also had a terror dome MIB which I passed on (still kicking myself) and a Mauler MIB, which is still part of my collection as well as a bunch of other stuff.
There is a sad ending to this story, my first room mate I told about the store. I didn't realize at the time what an A$$ he was, I gave him one of the Tomax Xamot sets and told him where I got them from. He went to the store and cleared them out of everything cool including all those MIB Galvatron figures. Nothing left for me.
Anyhow, that's how I've got older figures still MIB and MOC that did not come from ebay. I only started collecting moc during the Battle Corps area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
AFA Auctions
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
This what I don't get and I will use Firefly

I got a mint one years ago for 30 US.  So your telling me that the cardboard is worth 3,670.00.  Hogwash.  I bet somebody is running up those auctions on purpose.

the carboard backer is worth that much!??????

..and I just found all those backer cards in the back!? There's a freaking Firefly in it! Woo hoo!!

Ok.. I'll give you guys a deal on it first..... $500.00 - Canadian! That's a steal!
:lol:

Stupid ebay.
MIke

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

$500, Mike you're a pal! but to take it at that price would make me feel like I'm robbing you. I couldnt do that my friend.
Say no to AFA.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
AFA Auctions
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:26 PM »

No really.... :shifty:

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »

You're too kind.   I couldnt sleep knowing that I paid $500 for a piece of cardboard worth thousands. i couldnt order from you without been eaten by guilt!  :lol:
Say no to AFA.

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »

Sure, I know that comic book stores have MOC Joe figures.  But its the fact that someone 20 years ago didn't open their Firefly, or CC or whoever.  Or did someone know what these figures would be worth one day if they didn't open them?  Since I was just a kid when these figures were out, there was no way that me, or most likely any other kid would leave a figure unopened.  :shifty:
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Tattoo Shane

• View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
AFA Auctions
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2004, 12:53:45 AM »

There is a guy here in town who back in the 80s picked up scads of MOC SW figs when places were blowing them out for 99 cents a pop. At one time he had over 1000 and his since sold most of them off at a slight profit. ;) I've picked up a number of goodies from him over the years and luckily for me, he also bought up quite a few MOC Joe figs as well which i also bought a few years back. So, the point of all that was to say that yes, there were people back in the day buying stuff up and saving it for just such an occasion.
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 11:02:10 AM »

Quote from: ""Tattoo Shane""
I've got some CHERRY CHERRY Cdn carded figs from 84/85 and even i, the mad hater of haters of AFA have been thinking about grading them all, replacing them with non-graded figs and getting a house. ;) The only thing stopping me is that they're Cdn and even though they're rarer, they probably won't go for as much...that and i'd have a hard time replacing nice Cdn examples.

You would think dead mint Canadian carded items are more rare than US releases as there was less of collector base up here than in the USA when it came to buying Joes in the 1980s. But they suffer from the that mentality if it's not American it's crap. Only O Pee Chee hockey cards don't suffer that.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Tattoo Shane

• View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
AFA Auctions
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 11:29:13 AM »

Sad but true Pete. Star Wars figures are often viewed in that light as well but with the plethora of uniquely Canadian vintage SW out there, it kind of opened the eyes of the world market a bit and even the common Cdn stuff seems to garner the same, if not slightly lower prices than the US versions.

I think tho, on a whole, early Cdn Joe figures are a lot harder to find than many ESB and later SW figs. In my 13+ years of collecting, i've seen VERY few Cdn Joe figures come up for sale locally...
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »

Holy sh*t  :shock:

5,200.00 for Cobra Commander.

Money to burn I guess.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »

Zoinks. Makes me wonder what I would get for my Cobra Commander from China that's on a pretty decent card. I know it's not worth even one tenth of that sucker, but if someone offered me one tenth I'd sell it.
I have a convention to save up for and all.  :shifty:

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
AFA Auctions
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2004, 09:56:31 PM »

Alright, I'll admit it. I wanted to see how much this would go for so I posted an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3180653534

I've got some other stuff up right now that I've had in the attic but honestly nothing rare. Maybe I'll get some spending money for the convention or even better, help pay for the air line tickets.  :shifty: