JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Any weird shipping stories?  (Read 5913 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Any weird shipping stories?
« on: May 08, 2004, 08:19:17 PM »

I will start off

A package I sent to Argentina for a trade was finally picked up by the guy I was trading with.  It took 10 freaking weeks.  Apparently, their customs had the package for 4 weeks.  :shock:  I can't figure that one out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 01:10:47 AM »

I had a similar situation occur a few months back when i sent a package to Brazil...it was a BIG box so i opted to send it surface which was supposed to take 6 weeks. About 12 weeks later the package FINALLY arrived. Both the guy i was trading with and myself were getting pretty concerned but everything showed up in perfect shape!

As far as other weird stories go, i once had a UK seller send me a puzzle i won wrapped only in wallpaper! No outer box or anything and when i called him on it, he totally thought he was in the right! I was pissed at that one.....

I'm sure i've got more than that but after 13 years, it's a little hard to keep track of them all....i do know that i've been waiting on a package from Toronto for almost two weeks now and i'm pretty choked at good o'l Canada post for that.  :evil:
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 11:32:24 AM »

The box I sent to Argentina was sent air mail (2 weeks turn around). The seller told me to get it registered before hand but Canada Post wouldn't do it.   I paid 35 to get the stupid box shipped and took my chances.  The notion of buying to Knight of the Zodiac figures again didn't sit well with me.  So I am glad he got the package.

And on a side note, I just don't get Canada Post.  It's cheaper to ship to Europe, USA or South America than to B.C. or Alberta (for the same package).  Prices for shipping have gone up to high and thus another reason why I don't care to facilitate trades any more. It's not worth it on my end any more.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »

The only  shipping story  I have   is    a box that  I got from  Texas.   Usually  airmail  from Texas  takes  like   up to two weeks?  
Not in this case.
The box  was mailed on the day  that  I was told   and i  didn't get the danged thing  for  6 weeks.     I have shipped parcels faster to  BC   than this one took ,  the  danged thing  sat  some where  ( either at customs .. and I  didn't get dinged  either... or   at  the distibution hub  )    

Everything arrived safely    but the  amount of time it took to get here  was  just unreal .

Pete   I also  agree that the shipping costs   to mail within the country  have become rediculous,  it's getting to the point that  I'd rather ship the stuff   out of the country  rather than  within    allthough   my VentureOne card  has helped me save   some shipping costs   on all packages I  send   in Canada  or  by Expedited to the states ( overseas etc)   its still  a ton of money .
Zinthos.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 05:38:20 PM »

Quote from: "Tattoo Shane"

As far as other weird stories go, i once had a UK seller send me a puzzle i won wrapped only in wallpaper! No outer box or anything and when i called him on it, he totally thought he was in the right! I was pissed at that one.....quote]

Before I knew about smalljoes or any other online vendor I placed an order from some online store in India. Some place called something like "Hypabizzare" or something strange like that. To test the waters I just order a Fang and Bomb disposal unit. Imaging my surprise when it showed up in a burlap bag sealed with a wax seal :shock: .
I wanted the vehicles to be MIB box but the box wasn't so mint anymore. You live, ya learn!
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Collectorman

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 12:33:24 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
And on a side note, I just don't get Canada Post.  It's cheaper to ship to Europe, USA or South America than to B.C. or Alberta (for the same package).

I found this out rather quick a few weeks ago. I started posting some comics on Ebay to thin out my collection. After shipping a few things to Calgary, I raised my shipping for US buyers. Then I mailed a package of the same weight to Florida and it was cheaper ( :shock:  :shock:  :shock: )?

I'm starting to believe that the Yanks have a postal system so good, it absorbs the cost of bringing in packages from other countries.

The only really weird story I have is when Scrap-Iron for Joecustoms sent me a package with a MOC MOTU Buzz-Off and Merman repaint inside. It took 10 weeks to arrive, and when it did, the box was ripped open and burnt. I asked the post office guy (who I chew out quite a bit) what the fuck had happened and he gave me some story about a forklift bursting into flames at a distribution center and my package must have felt the heat.

The figures were still MOC though.
UCK!

AlleyViper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 02:48:36 PM »

Burnt??  That's crazy.  I once had a package come from Germany that had the paper inside of it wet, but nothing burnt.  Were the MOTU figures burnt as well?

The longest I had to wait for a package was about 2 and a half months.  I needed, of all things, a Chia pet, for Christmas and since they are not available in Canada (surprise surprise) I had a friend in the US get me one.  It arrived at the end of January, a bit late for Christmas.

One thing that I wish Canada Post would pick up from the USPS is the Saturday delivery.  I hate waiting for packages.  Plus I can't stand it when there is a long weekend and the mail delivery takes longer.   :evil:
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Madman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 10:20:28 PM »

I've had a few things happen. One time I had customs tag me but they put the wrong address on the label. The package got returned saying no address existed even though the right address was on the other side of the box. I got them to pay out since I had to have my parcel shipped again. On another occasion I made a trade with a member of another board. He told me he shipped my stuff and just a under a month later it arrived. It was held up all that time at customs for some reason. One time on ebay a seller accidently shipped me an item twice. He later told me it was his fault and to keep them both.

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 10:25:30 PM »

B.C.

B.C.

Who do you trade with out there....!!!!????

Darn shipping costs more than the items we have traded sometimes eh???...lol!!!

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 12:49:53 AM »

Hmmm  I  dunno...  ou may  Know him ...... :D
Zinthos.

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 10:36:24 PM »

It took me a while to think about it...I bought an Air Viper from MC for $20+US. A week later, I got a box that could fit a Thunderclap, and I paid $15 CAN for customs. Of course, the box was filled with pure bubble wrap and at the bottom was my Air Viper with his parachute in a ziplock bag. I would have expected a jerk off Ebay to do this to me.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 08:46:58 AM »

Hey Loop, if you contact MC when placing an order and ask them to declare lowest possible value/ send as a gift they will. I did this once and they told me not a problem but I just had to remind them every time I place an order. I suppose you could request the figure be sent in a smaller box or padded envelope. It would also save them money. Give it a try next time.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.