JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Target In Canada  (Read 12855 times)

Chinooked Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »

Posted this on joesightings.com
I heard over the radio this morning that Target is looking at acquiring Zellers in Canada. which is the sister company of Husdons bay company. They want to compete with the walmarts in the Canadian division. which could mean that we could see another spot to search for joes. WOO HOO!!!! :D . Just thought I would let others know and share the joy!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
y army\'s bigger than your army!
just kiddin!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Target In Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 12:42:17 PM »

That would suck.

First it was Woolco (become Walmart)
Then Consumers Distributing (Just died and closed up)
Then Robinsons (Also died and closed up)
Now Zellers (Rumoured to be Target)

Our Canadian stores are dying.
Mike

Chinooked Canuck

• View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 01:59:52 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
That would suck.

Mike

They have been dying for a long time, I agree with you on that. All Im saying is that finally another compeditor to walmart, They have been been getting greedy and too powerfull, With Target as a real compeditor, we are likely to see real price drops to compete with them. that's all Im saying.And another location to search for joes. everybody should be excited about that.
Who know's, Maby target will do things that are different with regards to some of the problems that walmart has been having, such as figure swapping, waves not going to all of the stores(including vehicals).
just kiddin!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 02:30:56 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
That would suck.

Mike

Holy crap... I forgot all about Robinsons!

At any rate, I have to agree with Mike here. As much as it would be cool to see Target in Canada selling Joes, seeing Zellers cease to exist takes us on step closer to being just another state.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:08:18 PM »

Sigh....I am sick of watching American companies taking over up here. But If Target takes over, kept the Zellers name. I doubt that will happen.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 10:18:44 PM »

I have seen Target Transport trucks for the last 4 or 5 years all over the 401 - they must pick up from a distributer in Canada?  Maybe Maple Syrup?

On a different note - Target and Zellers have carried very similar "store" brands for years - I think the clothing line is called Cherokee, why I know this is beyond me!

I love Canada, but I envy American consumerism.

Crankcase

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 05:37:17 AM »

Quote from: ""akpayne""
I have seen Target Transport trucks for the last 4 or 5 years all over the 401 - they must pick up from a distributer in Canada?  Maybe Maple Syrup?

On a different note - Target and Zellers have carried very similar "store" brands for years - I think the clothing line is called Cherokee, why I know this is beyond me!

I love Canada, but I envy American consumerism.

Target trucking is different.....They haul for anybody....

I hope Target doesn't take over Zellers..what will happen to all the ClubZ points?????

I wouldn't mind Target coming up here though...

gsmiley007

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 02:45:26 PM »

There are no longer club z points, but hbc rewards now. Just as long as the bay doesn't go out of business, we're ok.
Looking for
NF Charbroil Accessories
Starduster Figure
Hard Top with Mic
Heavy Metal Mic

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 05:52:57 PM »

I've been saying for a while now that Target should buy Zellers.  I can't imagine how well Zellers and the Bay does against Walmart, but I doubt it is very well.  In Calgary, Walmarts are all almost madhouses, filled with people at all hours of the day.  The busiest Walmart in Western Canada is in Calgary and its always a frigging gong show.  Drive to the nearest Zellers or Bay store and they are empty.  Plus there are so many malls with a Zellers in one end and a Bay in the other, there is little or business going on.

Target does business like Walmart, cheap, cheap, cheap all the time.  Give Walmart some real competition and give the consumers some of the super big sales that I've only heard about and dreamed about.  

Sure, its sad that Canadian retailers are getting over-ran by American retailers, but its the same thing in the NHL.  All the money is in the US, and its become too hard for Canadian companies/teams to compete.
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 05:58:24 PM »

As much as it sucks to lose Canadian companies to American ones Zellers is a worthless piece of c*ap IMO.  They have barely any staff, the palce is a mess, the stuf fin their flyers  is never on the shelves. The Zellers nearest to my house still has wave ONE yes ONE from 2002, without ORINGS on the shelf because people swaped the army builder for other figures adn they still sit there.

Zellers is useless, not price competitive and i welcome target to take them over.
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers

Chinooked Canuck

• View Profile
Target in Canada.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 08:53:26 AM »

As much as I like Canadian companys in Canada, Zellers cannot compete with the likes of walmart, im sorry but those are the facts. they tried in the last couple of years to compete locally with walmarts, but to no avail.

Take a good look around, you think that we are one step closer to becoming a state(U.S.A).Well your about 5 years too late, pretty much everytihing we see is Americanized. I dont like it, but that is the way it is!
just kiddin!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Target In Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 02:30:43 PM »

Spend some time in the hospital and then try to say that. I was sitting with an American couple at the convention and they were telling my wife and I how it costs them $800.00 a month for their family medical package.

Sure I also have a medical plan I put in for at work, but that costs me just over $100.00 a month and I could have 25 kids and it would still be just over $100.00.

Are we similar to the U.S.? Sure, we have a lot in common but there is still enough difference for other cultures to recognize the difference without having to wear the Canadian flag somewhere on yourself.

2 years ago in Jamaica, standing in line for my food I leaned over and told someone their food was ready. The Jamaican girl/cook behind the counter and said something along the lines of "Thank you. That was nice of you. Are you Canadian?"

As for the whole Target thing, in my area I can think of 4 different Zellers so I wouldn't mind if one of them was sold off to become a Target. I'd like to see some of those exclusives up here.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.