JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: CanJoeCon Travel Questions  (Read 3259 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
CanJoeCon Travel Questions
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »

I started doing research for a possible trip to the CanJoeCon.  After looking at flights, for some ridiculous reason it's less than half the cost to fly from Corpus Christi to Buffalo than it is to fly from CC to Toronto.  I was thinking of flying to Buffalo, renting a car, and driving to Toronto.  Advice, guys?  It's nearly $700 to fly from CC to Toronto, but only $320 to fly from CC to Buffalo, and even less if I depart from Houston (I have family and friends there I could stay with who would take me to & pick me up from the airport).  If I leave from Houston, it's only $215 to Buffalo, but still almost $600 to Toronto.  I just wonder how much of a pain it is to get back and forth across the border so forth so on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: CanJoeCon Travel Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

With a passport, it shouldn't be a problem.  Buffalo isn't too busy as I recall.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »

The reason why the flight to Toronto is expensive is the Greater Toronto Airports Authority or basically the dolts that run the airport.  They have high landing fees and other BS fees that they charge airliners.

I was in Buffalo three weeks ago.  The airport isn't far from the border.  If you have a passport, you are laughing.  There is some other ID you can use but a passport is the way to go.  No problems with it.

Canada Customs will ask you the purpose of the visit, the number of days staying, and whether if you have any alcohol and cigarettes.  Have your passport ready before you approach the customs agent.  No need to BS them.  

If you hit the Canadian border on a Friday or Saturday, you will cross the border fairly quick.  My best and worst times for crossing the border is 10 minutes and 1.5 hours, respectively.  Coming back to the USA is always quicker.    

Here is some info to help you out:

http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscrossi ... r_tips.htm

If you need any other help, fire away.  And I mean that figuratively.  Keep your real firearms at home or you will have a problem at the border.  
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:42:20 AM »

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Yes I have my passport.  I renewed it a couple years ago bc my Mom made me.  "Moooom I don't WANNA go mess with that.  Besides, when am I gonna ever leave the country again anyway?" Thanks Mom! ;D
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »

When I fly I always fly out of Buffalo because it's cheaper.  My wife and I can travel to Florida for $200 for the both of us out of Buffalo.  I can't even visit my brother in Moncton  NB because it would cost $800 to fly out of Hamilton. 
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »

Great info guys, I had also checked the rates and was wondering about a cheaper solution.  Any tips on hotel savings?  Would it be cheaper to stay in Buffalo on the night I fly in, or go on into toronto with the convention deal price?

Royal Guard

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »

Have they anounced the dates for the show.  I have family in PA and would drive their. 

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

It's at the top of this page (the entire Canadian JoeCon Message board section, actually), and at www.canadianjoecon.com - FULL info should be posted within the hour.