JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: I need help to store away my Joes  (Read 7475 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
I need help to store away my Joes
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »

Hi all,

For a long time I've been happy to display Joes at my home but because this will no longer be possible (until we get a big enough house that is), I am now storing them all away.

I had them individually bagged for a while now and they're all in a big rubber bin. I'd say 85-90% of my figures are complete, the rest are missing a few accessories or in some cases their filecard.

I used to have the filecards stored in a small index box. I just had the idea of pulling each figure out and pairing it with its filecard before putting them back in the box.

My idea is I'd want to catalog every single item I own as well as quantities and complete/incomplete status.

I ask for advice on storing Joes away, expecially to those that had to deal with the same situation. I know that maintaining an excel list is probably a good idea if one has multiples of one figure. If you have other good ideas such as ways of coupling filecards with the figures, and protecting both at the same time, do let me know I'm opened to suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

-LJ22
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
Re: I need help to store away my Joes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »

Be careful about putting Joes in a bag with their filecard.  That could lead to the filecards getting scratched or dug up by the figure.  That's happened to me before. >:(
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »

Like he said ^^ I'm not sure it is a good idea to put the filecard into the same bag of the fig. Your previous system (index box) looks like a better long term solution.

As for storing them away... I can rent you a part of my basement...  :wink:

Martin

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
Like he said ^^ I'm not sure it is a good idea to put the filecard into the same bag of the fig. Your previous system (index box) looks like a better long term solution.

As for storing them away... I can rent you a part of my basement...  :wink:

Martin

I guess "Good business is where you find it"  :)

As for your comments about not inserting the filecard and the figure in the same bag, thanks guys. I also had that same bad feeling about it so after bagging about a good 50 of them (that took 2 hours at least), I stopped, took a distance, asked myself what I was doing and decided to start this thread.

But I'm now back at the beginning of my problems, and I'd like the guys who have dealt with the same situation to give me their feedback, that could help.

Snakes, Martin, If you'd dealt before with the same situation, your further imput's always welcome.

EDIT: Per instance, how did you deal with it on your side in the end, that's my real question?
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »

I haven't done any kind of serious storing, so I can't really help you, but I'm thinking of going to "figure in bag with his gear" route.  I've read that some bags might lead to discolouration over time, but I don't know if that's true or not.  Might have something to do with the acidity, like how comic and card bags/sheets say they're "acid-free."  I'm really not sure.  Sorry, man. :-[
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

Here's my situation: I have roughly over 600 loose figures (I know I had about a little over 600 back in 2004). And about 300 filecards. I don't consider a figure to be complete if it doesn't have a filecard, as long as it has all accessories.

If I put the figures in bags, I was thinking maybe like Martin said to keep the filecards in an index box or folder. And create and excel file put all the figure names by year in a similar fashion as on YOJOE, insert quantities, and a place where I can update the complete/incomplete status of the figure and specify what it's missing. It would have to be something that I can print and carry around with me.
I think it's the simplest and most logical way.

For now, I think I'm going to seperate the figures in two bins: one for the complete and another for the incomplete. When I get a chance at classifying them, I'll do it. This is going to take forever, but maybe that's part of the fun of it. What do you guys think of this quick draft?
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »

I only have about 200 figures that are loose and I keep them in the Ziploc Snack bags.  I put a post-it note inside the bag to say what is missing other wise it is complete.  I have to figure something out with the file cards now, do you keep the international file cards with the english ones or keep them separate?
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I only have about 200 figures that are loose and I keep them in the Ziploc Snack bags.  I put a post-it note inside the bag to say what is missing other wise it is complete.  I have to figure something out with the file cards now, do you keep the international file cards with the english ones or keep them separate?

I put a post-it note inside the bag to say what is missing other wise it is complete.

That's simple, I never thought of doing that. I will do that, thanks Bandanov.

I have to figure something out with the file cards now, do you keep the international file cards with the english ones or keep them separate?

For now all my filecards are mixed up. I will place them by year. I don't even have any international filecards that are cut out except for the easier to find that are still mint on card: the chinese and indian cards.
2 + 2 = 22

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »

33 years old and not able to find a storing solution by himself..  :lol: the storage question is probably the most important thing when you collect!

Here's my solution:
1. Figures are in 3'' x 5'' mini ziploc bags
2. Another separate 3'' x 5'' mini ziploc bag for accessories (if the figure has a single pistol or an helmet only, I put it in a 2'' x 3'' bag)
3. Then I put these 2 bags in a 6'' x 7'' Ziploc bag (for the freezer, the smallest ones, they protect against light and air)
Yeah, it's a lot of plastic bags, I know.. but I don't want my figure to be in contact with their accessories..

I keep the filecards in a cardboard box for now but I think I will borrow Snakes idea and put them in smaller plastic cases (see the filecards storage thread) Btw thx to Snakes for the idea.. A binder w. plastic sleeves is a great idea too!

Well, hope that helps someone..

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
33 years old and not able to find a storing solution by himself..  :lol: the storage question is probably the most important thing when you collect!

Here's my solution:
1. Figures are in 3'' x 5'' mini ziploc bags
2. Another separate 3'' x 5'' mini ziploc bag for accessories (if the figure has a single pistol or an helmet only, I put it in a 2'' x 3'' bag)
3. Then I put these 2 bags in a 6'' x 7'' Ziploc bag (for the freezer, the smallest ones, they protect against light and air)
Yeah, it's a lot of plastic bags, I know.. but I don't want my figure to be in contact with their accessories..

I keep the filecards in a cardboard box for now but I think I will borrow Snakes idea and put them in smaller plastic cases (see the filecards storage thread) Btw thx to Snakes for the idea.. A binder w. plastic sleeves is a great idea too!

Well, hope that helps someone..

Hehe, good humour from you is never in shortage and always welcome El Shark  ;D Si Si! Yes, I'm getting old what do you want. Okay the Latin will drop the accent. At 40, I'll be asking you all how to take them out of their little plastic prisons  :P

I think I'll go with the one ziplock bag for the figure and the accessories idea for now. Otherwise it'll a load of plastic bags like you said. I don't mind the figure swimming with its other toys but if I see that's not the best, I have your advice to lean on.
2 + 2 = 22

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »

Here's an exemple of my master list.. it's an Excel file with all my haves..
I think it's probably the BEST thing to do when you collect..

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
Here's an exemple of my master list.. it's an Excel file with all my haves..
I think it's probably the BEST thing to do when you collect..

That is AWESOME. What does "M-A" stand for?
2 + 2 = 22