JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Batman fans here?  (Read 4972 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Batman fans here?
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »

I recently bought and read:

BATMAN: The Dark Night returns
KINGDOM COME
JUSTICE
SUPERMAN: Red Sun

I'm not a huge fan of the regular Batman comic books, but I do find it very fascinating when DC is able to come up with a fresh and unique story that takes place in an alternate universe. Batman is probably the most interesting aspect of it to my eyes, no matter how the settings change. I've been dying to get a story called Red Rain where Batman hunts down Dracula and decides to pay the ultimate price in order to defeat him and his forces by acquiring the supernatural powers of a creature of the night, but alas I found out that it's been out of print for sometime now. Is there anyone who has read it and can tell me if the hardcopy of the two part story is really worth picking up? Also, if anyone has an extra copy of it they'd be willing to part with, I'm all in!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Batman fans here?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »

I'm rereading the Hush tpb.
I love the original Batman adventures. I have the 4 first volumes and they're great.
Say no to AFA.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »

Batman Hush, drawn by Jim Lee if I'm correct. How did you find the story in it if I may ask? I don't even know what it's about and to be truthful I think I avoided that one because I'm not a big fan of Jim Lee's art (I never liked mainstream art from his glorious times when everyone wanted to draw like JL). I preferred other artists like Mark Texeira, Miller, Blevins (I was a fan of the very shortlived "Sleepwalker") etc.
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »

I will check out my Comic store about Red Rain for you.  Hey Burg since you work in Toronto's Bigest Comic Store do you have Batman Red Rain in the store?
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »

Hush was fine.

The best Bat-book on the shelf is easily the Grant Morrison "Batman and Robin" series.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »

Batman hunts down Dracula and decides to pay the ultimate price in order to defeat him and his forces by acquiring the supernatural powers of a creature of the night
That is so very not what actually happens in the book. It's more of a "Dracula turns out not to be all that fearful and just wants to go around killing randomly, some random girl vampire slowly turns Batman into a part-vampire while he's asleep, and then Dracula kills her and Batman kills Dracula after he drains him of all his blood and turns him into a full vampire".
It's actually even worse than it sounds.

If you want a good Batman/Dracula tale, The Batman vs. Dracula is the way to go, if you can find it on DVD.

And if you're interested in other good Batman tales... I'm always partial to the Batman: The Man Who Laughs trade paperback. And Superman: Speeding Bullets.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
That is so very not what actually happens in the book. It's more of a "Dracula turns out not to be all that fearful and just wants to go around killing randomly, some random girl vampire slowly turns Batman into a part-vampire while he's asleep, and then Dracula kills her and Batman kills Dracula after he drains him of all his blood and turns him into a full vampire".
It's actually even worse than it sounds.

I don't know if to thank you Jay. The summary is something I saw somewhere on the back of one of the tradepaperback editions a long time ago as so it could be that my memory was flawed, and your argument should've stopped by warning me of what not to expect in terms of basic storyline. Instead, you dropped some main story elements, hence probably spoiling some of the expectations for me and only succeeded in making your opinion sound subjective for now, and not a valid critic point of view. It's that bad? Now because of your critics I do want to find that out for myself  :P! Good thing I'm in a nasty good mood today. I know I should've asked to mark "SPOILERS", so next time please be a bit more considerate if you're going to give out story elements by letting me know before I keep reading.

Batman/Dracula on DVD?

I feel like having a Timbit...  ::)
2 + 2 = 22

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
I don't know if to thank you Jay. The summary is something I saw somewhere on the back of one of the tradepaperback editions a long time ago as so it could be that my memory was flawed, and your argument should've stopped by warning me of what not to expect in terms of basic storyline. Instead, you dropped some main story elements, hence probably spoiling some of the expectations for me and only succeeded in making your opinion sound subjective for now, and not a valid critic point of view. It's that bad? Now because of your critics I do want to find that out for myself  :P! Good thing I'm in a nasty good mood today. I know I should've asked to mark "SPOILERS", so next time please be a bit more considerate if you're going to give out story elements by letting me know before I keep reading.
I'm sorry...

You're not the only one who's been in a nasty mood...

Batman/Dracula on DVD?
Yes. It is awesome, Teletoon played it a few years back. I was never much a fan of The Batman but damn that movie was great!

[/quote]

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »

Hey LJ,

The Batman Vampire trilogy was re-released in one trade paperback a couple years ago, for what Amazon is selling it for it is easily worth getting (although you may have to wait for it to come in from their distributor).

http://www.amazon.ca/Tales-Multiverse-Batman-Vampire-Doug-Moench/dp/1401215653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282036686&sr=1-1

It has Red Rain and its two sequels, Bloodstorm and Crimson Mist.

While I never really got into the Elseworlds stuff, I always liked "Gotham By Gaslight", which features a Victorian era Batman vs. Jack the Ripper. It might just be because Mike Mignola drew it and I've always enjoyed his work. It also holds the distinction of being the first Elseworlds story and is available for cheap at most comic stores I frequent so it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »

Heard good things about Gotham by Gaslight.

And technically, Kingdom Come is Elseworlds, and I can't recommend that enough.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
I don't know if to thank you Jay. The summary is something I saw somewhere on the back of one of the tradepaperback editions a long time ago as so it could be that my memory was flawed, and your argument should've stopped by warning me of what not to expect in terms of basic storyline. Instead, you dropped some main story elements, hence probably spoiling some of the expectations for me and only succeeded in making your opinion sound subjective for now, and not a valid critic point of view. It's that bad? Now because of your critics I do want to find that out for myself  :P! Good thing I'm in a nasty good mood today. I know I should've asked to mark "SPOILERS", so next time please be a bit more considerate if you're going to give out story elements by letting me know before I keep reading.
I'm sorry...

Batman/Dracula on DVD?
Yes. It is awesome, Teletoon played it a few years back. I was never much a fan of The Batman but damn that movie was great!

[/quote]
It was a made for TV film that came out as part of "The Batman" series that was on a few years ago.  You can borrow it if you want LJ.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »

I'm sorry...

Apologies accepted and looks like I'll be returning you a Timbit afterall  :). "Nasty good mood" as in terrific mood, that's what I meant  :) . Not plain nasty as in bad mood.

I believe you when you say it's great. I will take your advice and Pdaat's offer to watch it when I get the chance. I'll probably end up buying it. I love Dracula/vampire stories and a little bit because of that, a somewhat big fan of the Castlevania video game franchise. Thanks again guys for making me discover something good to look forward to.
2 + 2 = 22