JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: New 7 Packs!!!!  (Read 9815 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: New 7 Packs!!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

I'll get them, but since these are BBTS exclusives they won't show up anywhere else.  Contrary to what some people think on other boards. 

BBTS took the Piranacon exclusive and it never showed up anywhere else (except comic shops at inflated prices after ordering from BBTS).

The thing is that BBTS has put the Piranacon set on sale twice in the last 3 months and they still have it for sale.  It isn't moving anymore and unfortunately the same thing will hold true for the Dreadnok/Marauder sets.  They would have to have ordered a TON!!! of product from Hasbro and that means to me they will still be available for a good while. 

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »

Just check BBTS and they have still available:
2278 Sets
1756 Dreadnoks pack
1984 Maruders pack
294 Sets with Resolute Sets

Hurry they are going fast!
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »

I'm not worried about the price on these. Almost every year I get the Master Collector sets and those cost $270 - $295 for 15 figures. With the BBTS sets you have get 14 figures for $110 after shipping. The quality on the figures looks as good as the MC stuff and unlike the MC set, you get 14 unique characters where the MC sets rely heavily on army builders.

This just shows how off the MC prices really are.

Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »

I'm not worried about the price on these. Almost every year I get the Master Collector sets and those cost $270 - $295 for 15 figures. With the BBTS sets you have get 14 figures for $110 after shipping. The quality on the figures looks as good as the MC stuff and unlike the MC set, you get 14 unique characters where the MC sets rely heavily on army builders.

As loathe as I am to defend MC, I think you are being a bit unfair Pete.

Hasbro did all the work on these sets and BBtS is just buying them ala Walmart/TRU exclusives.  MC has to do all the work and deal with a factory and all costs. They also package them into an event.  Granted that may or may not mean anything to a buyer, but it is an "extra".

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »

Hasbro did all the work on these sets and BBtS is just buying them ala Walmart/TRU exclusives.  MC has to do all the work and deal with a factory and all costs. They also package them into an event.  Granted that may or may not mean anything to a buyer, but it is an "extra".

Pete didn't say that. I did.  ;)

I don't think I'm being unfair with Fun Publishing and I have started a thread on their boards addressing this. They basically said the same thing but my point is that they are too expensive. I've told them that I think they are missing a golden opportunity right now. I think they should do a large run of a figure. Do a run of 2000 and make it's price comparable to retail (and sensible shipping). They could really use a cool one off as a great way to promote the G.I. Joe Collectors Club and loose that elitist reputation they have if they are just willing to throw out something really cool that everyone can afford.

I buy the high price items pretty much every year. Last year I was a mule for Stealth Viper, Pete the Greek and Real Boss and bought everything I was allowed to purchase when I was at the con, so I do support their efforts.  BTW, shutting my suit cases was a challenge.  :)

I want them to succeed. That's why I keep challenging them on things like shipping. I'm not screaming "Boo, they suck" and then secretly buying the stuff from Chinese bootleggers or midnight runners. 

As Keith Morris said "question authority, I'll pay the price the future belongs to me".

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »

Pete didn't say that. I did.  ;)

I don't think I'm being unfair with Fun Publishing and I have started a thread on their boards addressing this. They basically said the same thing but my point is that they are too expensive. I've told them that I think they are missing a golden opportunity right now. I think they should do a large run of a figure. Do a run of 2000 and make it's price comparable to retail (and sensible shipping). They could really use a cool one off as a great way to promote the G.I. Joe Collectors Club and loose that elitist reputation they have if they are just willing to throw out something really cool that everyone can afford.

I buy the high price items pretty much every year. Last year I was a mule for Stealth Viper, Pete the Greek and Real Boss and bought everything I was allowed to purchase when I was at the con, so I do support their efforts.  BTW, shutting my suit cases was a challenge.  :)

I want them to succeed. That's why I keep challenging them on things like shipping. I'm not screaming "Boo, they suck" and then secretly buying the stuff from Chinese bootleggers or midnight runners. 

As Keith Morris said "question authority, I'll pay the price the future belongs to me".

Oops, sorry Pete, I was on my phone when responding.  My mistake.  Apologies all around.

As to your point Morgardee, I understand the logic behind what you are saying, but time and time again fandoms have proven your point is wrong.  Sorry to be blunt, but all fandoms vastly over estimate what their buying power is, and what "EVERYONE" wants.  Look at any club exclusive, and or, store exclusive and you will see that the numbers needed to make the price point what you consider reasonable just don't work for small companies. 

Look at the BBTS Piranacon exclusive that I pointed out.  It was a reissue of a classic combiner for $60.  That is about what it would have cost at a large retailer.  It was something "EVERYONE" wanted released in the TF fandom.  There was talk of how great it was and "EVERYONE" was going to get it.  Well look at it now.  Twice in the last 3 months BBTS has had it reduced on sale and they still have stock.  The same goes for the Dreadnok and Marauder sets.  The $50 price point is not that far off of retail ($7+ without tax).  That is pretty good considering it is an exclusive to a, relatively, small outlet.  However I don't imagine BBTS will sell out of the set anytime soon.

Now take MC, and even smaller, let's say "boutique" outlet.  They make no bones about the fact that they charge more.  I don't have a membership and stopped a long time ago when they couldn't get product to "international" customers on time or at a reasonable price.  So don't take this as some grand defence of MC.  However they have done a bunch of exclusives for both TF and JOE fans and it is always hit or miss.  Yes they get some items that sell out and it seems obvious after the fact that they would, but more times than not it doesn't work that way, especially with a smaller JOE fandom.  They have a business plan that relys on small runs at higher costs, with a plan of no stock left over.  That leaves them little room for branching out from that plan, and having met Brian I get the distinct impression he has no interest in doing anything other than what he wants. 

I think, with GI JOE especially, there is too much of a wait and get it even cheaper attitude.  So much product is showing up at deeply discounted prices now, especially unreleased items, that organizations like MC just can't compete (along with other poor business practices).  So MC does what other stores do, and tries to get the "high end" shopper.  It seems to work for them since they are still in business while others (3H former TFClub organization) went out of business trying to please everyone.

However all this verbal diarrhea I just spouted boils down to this point.  I am cynical, and I still haven't seen any evidence that most fandoms don't "say" they will support something, but when it comes time to pay up those large, vociferous crowds disappear.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »

Fair points Canprime.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

Two things:  These sets may not be just an exclusive to BBTS , they may be an internet exclusive just like the previous 7 packs.  Sites in the past have toted that it was their own store exclusive when it was not.  BBTS just has pre-orders up before other sites.

Second there is a rumor the reason Hasbro went with Slaughters Marauders for the 7 pack is the Collectors club is producing the Marauders version of SGT. Slaughter as one of their figures for the subscription service after Hasbro chose not to make the figure.   
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »

Second there is a rumor the reason Hasbro went with Slaughters Marauders for the 7 pack is the Collectors club is producing the Marauders version of SGT. Slaughter as one of their figures for the subscription service after Hasbro chose not to make the figure. 
I'm leery of putting any stock in that rumour, because, iirc, Hasbro declined to regain the license for Slaughter as a character because it became too expensive.

IF that is the case, I doubt that the Club could afford same to create any iteration of the character themselves.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »

IF that is the case, I doubt that the Club could afford same to create any iteration of the character themselves.

Didn't stop Funskool from making him Sgt. Smasher; a figure that still eludes me to this day.

Go Leafs Go - just end '67

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »

Maybe the release of these 7 packs has to do with the delay of the DiC series after christmas? JUst a thought...
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: So the 7 packs are.........
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »

Cool. I like 'em!

Will we be able to get them from within Canada? I'm looking at you Hal!  ;)

Morg, I asked him to look into this. From what he was able to verify from his end, it seems that packs can only be ordered through BBTS, and nowhere else, at least for now....
2 + 2 = 22