JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Resolute/RoC JOE CANUCK!!!!!  (Read 3072 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Resolute/RoC JOE CANUCK!!!!!
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:56:36 AM »

I know that I've mentioned this before and one of these guys died on the operating table due to a bad paint choice.  Well here it is, finished...my custom Resolute/RoC JOE CANUCK. 

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Customs/

Joe Canuck (v3  ;D) is a straight repaint of the 2009 Rise of Cobra Toys R Us exclusive Firefly figure.

To create him, I first washed the TRU Firefly down with Parr Painter's Clean.  I HIGHLY recommend this product to customizers.  It's got larger grained grit than many grit soaps, which will not only etch the product but will also remove any unwanted paint apps.  Within 15 seconds of rubbing the vest, the silver Cobra sigil was completely gone.  He then got two good coats of Testors Model Masters Acrylic Primer.  His main body color is TMM Acrylic Gloss White, his satchel is TMM Acrylic Light Gray, the accents are TMM Acrylic Gunship Gray, and further accents are TMM Acrylic Gloss Black & Silver.  To paint the goggles, I did a custom mix of the TMM Gloss White & TMM French Blue until I was satisfied with the color.  The radio is from Extreme Conditions Arctic Tele-Viper, and the gun is a Marauder modular.

It took me approximately a week to complete the figure.  This is my VERY FIRST custom, and to say that I'm pleased with the results would be a vast understatement.  I've never considered myself much of an artist but this figure turned out pretty damned good, I think. 

Sorry about the semi-cruddy pics.  I'm even less of a photgrapher than I am an artist.

Let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Resolute/RoC JOE CANUCK!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:10 AM »

looks good to me. Nice work.

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »

He looks awesome!! Nicely done. I hope you're going to make others, you seem to have a knack for it.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »

It's a great base, but Joe Canuck usually has brown highlights. So it still works but it makes it harder to see the intended character.
Updated!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
It's a great base, but Joe Canuck usually has brown highlights. So it still works but it makes it harder to see the intended character.

I went with the dark gray to take JC to the next level.  I was originally gonna do the accents in light gray but I didn't feel it had enough contrast.  I thought about the browns but I couldn't find one I liked, plus I felt that doing all the webgear around his legs would be too much brown & look crappy.  I gave him the radio bc 1. It's made to go in the backpack & 2.  JC would probably need it out there in the Great White North to send coordinates back to Joe HQ when he finally locates those pesky Snow Serpents.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

Good update on him, looks very good.  Its ok that you didnt go brown straps, it is an ROC update afterall rather then an ode to the original.  I think he needs a Cap though, he still sort of looks like an arctic Firefly to me.  But still a really good custom especially for your first!
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
I think he needs a Cap though, he still sort of looks like an arctic Firefly to me.  But still a really good custom especially for your first!

I appreciate your comments, especially as you seem to be the reigning king of 25th update JoeCanuck figs. 

I too kind of wish for a cap but I don't think that I would be a very good sculptor.  Ideas, anyone? 

Next up...Snowbank.  I'm debating another straight repaint OR actually trying to take some figs apart this time.  Suggestions?
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »

sculpting does take practice, I suck at it big time.  What you might be able to do is do some surgery on ROC Shipwreck and see if you can get his cap off an dremel it, Im not sure if it would fit on the head though.  As for straight repaint or coming up with a recipe of different parts, Id suggest different parts just to get practice, its actually very very easy for the legs, head and lower arms and hands to come off.  Torso Cracking is a bit harder, and I personally stay away from it, but all the other peices come apart very easy.  And if you dont like how it looks you can always unswap the parts anyways.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:09:27 PM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"