JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: elbow cracks  (Read 2007 times)

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
elbow cracks
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »

it's pretty common knowledge that vintage Joes can suffer from busted crotches and broken thumbs.  One thing that I don't see discussed often (if at all) is the little cracks that sometimes happen on the elbow joint of Joes (the thin plastic that surrounds the metal pin).  I've never seen this damage lead to a lower arm falling off.  But I do wonder if that's possible.  Some of my old Joes have the tiny crack in the elbow and I'm wondering if I should never ben their arm again just to be safe.  Any thoughts?  Also, what causes this damage?  Has the plastic shrunk a very small amount over 20 years, causing stress at that point?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
elbow cracks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »

Generally this doesn't have much affect on the playability of the figure. I have a lot of figures that have elbow cracks, and none are particularly fragile.

I know that some years are more succeptable than others, and it certainly brings down the value of the figure to collectors, but it's unlikely to cause full breakage with out really rough play/impact. I'd not put him in the parachute pack and throw him off the balcony, but bending the arm should be fine.

-   :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
elbow cracks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »

Figures from 1988 and 1989 typically have this problem.  Just the type of plastic used.   The arm won't fall off.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
elbow cracks
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »

Charbroil, PP Tele Viper, & Voltar all are real bad for this, I still need a PP Tele to have the complete set mint, but I have given up as I never seem to find one without a crack in one or both elbows..............