JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Shiver auction,...so it begins...  (Read 13369 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Shiver auction,...so it begins...
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"
Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
I highly doubt is was the same person auctioning the Shiver figure and the free table early raid. There were there just to get the Shiver figure....at 9 AM.
Simply pathetic. 

No, no!  There were three of us who were early and helped set-up and stuff (all arriving separately) and we would have received 22-24.  The last few Shiver recipients would've been people who showed up right before the opening.  I won't speculate who that would be, but Latinjoe22 and I were amongst the earlybirds (was it that early  :) ) and we were all there in the true spirit of things! 

I just heard 9 AM from some other guys there.  So don't shoot me.   And I don't know if their was a logical order in which figures 20 to 30 were sold.  Consiering you were in the line, you would have a better idea who was 4 people over from you.   

As for collectors getting a hand on stuff intended for kids first...I saw this first hand with the parachute drop at NO.  Some collectors were going nuts getting the parachute figure (like the one freebie from the box set was enough ::)), which left most of the kids out in the cold.  I tried to get one for a kid but failed.  But some of the parents their were royally pissed based on the actions of these guys. 

Next year, I should have some figures from the freebie table as I am gutting out my army builders from my collection that have no accessories.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

viperlord

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »

I bought a case of $2 Dollar General Joes for the freebie table.  A solid case, army builders and all.  I was HOPING that some of the kids I knew would be wandering around would get some.  Instead they were gone before the meet officially opened, which was a major bummer for me :(

The last 2 figures left in the box WERE scooped up by a couple of kids which makes me feel somewhat better, but I wish that some consideration had been shown on the rest.  Besides the fact that they're, y'know KIDS and should be given extra special care, if we don't get them interested in toys then the hobby we all love ends with us.  Which is a pretty grim fate.

Needless to say, as much as I love the free table I'll be going a different way next year to get figures into the hands of the kids for whom they were intended.  I'll find something else for the free table.
Me too!

Redskull

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »

im still amazed there was a box of figures at the freebie table. I totally missed this. ???
If only you could see the world the way I see it, if only you could see the world through my eyes.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:14 AM »

I think the best solution for this is the free table should not be started until everyone that was in the lineup outside came in. I know I briefly saw a case of figures on the table when I popped in to ask Mike if he wanted me to wait in line or start helping with the customs table as I was one of the volunteers for that and the wrestling. I had no issues with waiting in line outside so to make it fair for everyone I went back out and waited in line. It was a sad sight to see the table had already been pillaged before everyone who was standing in line had been ransacked.

I also agree that dealers should not be picking thru the free table, or at least not have first crack at it. If people are there to sell then please don't be taking the free stuff from the people who are paying a door cover charge. That's not fair.

As for the Shiver auction, I'm glad Mike was able to put a lid on this auction but it's really going to be hard to prevent this in the future. I think we need to look at the positive side this and that is a lot of us got the figure and will cherish it for many many years and fondly remember this past years meet and that's what counts. This past year was the best one for me so far.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 09:08:37 AM »

Let me say this, and hopefully it will be the end of the 'Shiver Auction' stuff... until someone else posts one.

The 'Seller' for this specific one is someone I know.
He was a customer of mine and he's actually a great guy - regardless what you all may think of him.

His son is into G.I. Joe - that's why he was there. He bought the figure becuase it was the last one available, and he knows about Black Ice and what it went for. He didn't know what his plans were for it when he bought it. I may of done the same thing - bought an exclusive just because it was the last one. Who here can say they wouldn't of done the same thing?

He listed it on ebay moreso to see what type of interest it would garner - he's STILL getting emails from people on it. He never wanted to piss anyone off, or cause such an uproar online.

BUT. It was his, and I told him flat out that it's his to do with what he wants.
I also told him I had no qualms about 'asking' him not to sell it.

He decided to give it back to me (I refunded his money). Personally, I think he gave it back because we're friends and it 'kinda' puts me in a bad position. We all know one figure is held back for ebay. This is done to promote the next years meet, and to gain some funds for door prizes and such.  With someone else posting a Shiver online, the 'first' one may go for more than 'ours' will.  The thing is, I wouldn't want someone to just buy the first one that shows up online 'because it's online'. When I list the #30 Shiver figure on ebay, the buyer is going to also get a few other items with it - that they would no doubt enjoy having just as much as Shiver himself.

So really, anyone that does buy a Shiver figure NOT from me on ebay or otherwise - will be missing out on something. ;-)

Scalpers can't be stopped - and the more popular the Joe Meet becomes, the more these guys are going to come out and try to get more than one.

I know of one guy that got two at the meet because he brought his friend. Why does he need two? Who knows. But he has them, and if one of them ends up on ebay - then so be it. It's his right to sell his own items - we don't have to like it, but it's true.

The thing I don't get is WHY people that make no attempt to attend want one of these figures anyway? It's supposed to be a momento of the days events and you attending.

Not another figure in your collection so you can be a 'completist'. A completist of what? A bootleg Joe Custom? Where does it end?

Hoepfully this ends the bashing and such. The guy never intended to piss people off, and the mere fact that he drove to my front door to give it back more than supports that.
Mike

viperlord

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »

What REALLY gets me is this: Black Ice went for $350.  For that kind of money you could drive up from most anywhere, PICK UP the figure in person, get to meet some really great Joe fans in the process, and have a really good time.

Even my flight didn't cost much more than that.  Last year I got the Joe Meet figure plus a 3 day vacation for about $50 more than Black Ice alone sold for.  This year I had to buy a passport so about $150 more.  But I got a lifetime of memories that will make me smile whenever I think about them.  I think I got the better deal there :wink:
Me too!

dryhawk37

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »

Actually I bought the Black Ice figure last year for 350.00 and let me tell you, that doesnt even come CLOSE to a ticket to Canada from San Diego.....

I looked into coming this year but work wouldnt allow it and the plane ticket alone was close to 800.00....
I was thinking of bidding on the Shiver (and emailed the seller) but will wait for # 30 to hit ebay so that the money spent goes towards next years show. Im not just a crazy completist but these figures are very cool and seem like great characters that Cobra has for their arctic unit (which is why I wanted them in the first place). I dont want people thinking the wrong thing here. I know they are customs and have no intention on getting them to re-sell. They will be part of my collection for years and years, just dont have the time and money to fly to Canada to pick them up is all  :wink:

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »

Drew, I fly out western Canada for work.  But the office pays for it.  So I know how much a ticket costs and I don't blame you for not coming, considering you have to keep your funds ready to get the remaining remaining Funskool figures you need. 

Once the Shiver Mike has goes on ebay, I will email you about it (just like Black Ice last year). 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Redskull

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »

On a unrelated note, I finally got my custom Black Ice done.  ;D

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1351 ... cksxv9.jpg

Now Shiver wont feel so lonely.
If only you could see the world the way I see it, if only you could see the world through my eyes.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »

It kind of looks like Black Ice has pigtails...
Updated!

Redskull

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"

It kind of looks like Black Ice has pigtails...

oh yeah thats his back pack, not the exact one, because I dont have it, buts its close enough.