JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Star Wars Batllefront 2 on the X box review  (Read 2603 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Batllefront 2 on the X box review
« on: January 04, 2006, 04:49:46 PM »

I picked up this game from Walmart on Boxing day for $38.xx and dang is it fun. For anyone who has played SW BF 1, this game plays a bit different but as you get use to the way it's played it's more and more addictive.

The biggest difference for me is the story mode at the start of the game, Rise of the Empire. Sure you can do a quick battle or conquer the galaxy (which is also very different, more on that later) but the story mode for the 501st, a clone troopers story basically really helps you get into the spirit of the empire. The way is unfolds shows you why the 501st think that they are on the right side, and not evil villains. It is limited in that you only play this part of the game as a clone/storm trooper from the 501st and some of the levels like the last one are a down right pain in the butt, yet it's worth it. Along with the standard first person missions you also get to do space battles, which at first are a royal pain trying to understand what you need to do (get 180 points by destroying marked areas on the opposing command ships AND small ships), or you can skip the whole space battle if you want. Glad they gave me the option to skip space fights at first as I just wanted to shoot people.

The space battles I just mentioned are a big pain to figure out at first. I have blown up all the shields, life support, command bridges, etc on the opposing command ships and not known why I would then be flying around not knowing what to do. You have to keep fighting, shooting the smaller spacecraft that I was ignoring at first and score e 180 points. Trust me, I cussed out the game a couple of times not knowing this. Still, once you know that it then becomes fun.

The Conquer the Galaxy (CG) is nice. It's almost like risk in the fact that you have to move you ship around space and conquer enemy planets and if you ship crosses path with your opponents path, you have a space battle. This is the best time to use the bonus of "auto turrets". In order to explain the rest of the CG part of the game I need to mention the bonuses you purchase.

As the game goes on, win or loose a fight, you'll get credits. With these credits you can push down R1 and recruit new classes for your team as you only start off with the generic soldiers or whichever side your on. So you buy the sniper, rebel smuggler, bazooka dude, etc... If you press down L1 you purchase things like Auto turrets (you always want at least one of these), leader bonus, great pistol damage, etc...

If you win your fight you get more credit then if you loose and right now I have to say that Darth Maul has never been as cool as he is when you get to play as him. Unfortunately to play Maul you have to be using what I think it's the worst of the 4 factions, the CIS and those robots really do suck, but Maul makes up for it. There were levels that I played where I was the last guy alive for my team and had to sneak around and kill off 25 of the computers guys but I came back to the same level with Darth Maul and beat the whole thing in 3 minutes. When you throw his light saber you'll hit who you were aiming for, but if any of his friends happen to walk in the path of your light saber on it's way back you take them out as well.

The down side with CG is the fact the map when you pick the next spot to move in the galaxy is zoomed in so tight you can't see the other side of the galaxy and therefore which way to go. This is easy to correct as you select a direction and then the map zooms out. It does give you the option to cancel that choice and move somewhere else if you need to. Still, if the map zoomed out in the first place this would be needed.

Anyhow, long review but it's a damn good game. If you liked the first one then after about an hour with this one you'll love it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Star Wars Batllefront 2 on the X box review
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:11:59 PM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
The space battles I just mentioned are a big pain to figure out at first. I have blown up all the shields, life support, command bridges, etc on the opposing command ships and not known why I would then be flying around not knowing what to do. You have to keep fighting, shooting the smaller spacecraft that I was ignoring at first and score e 180 points. Trust me, I cussed out the game a couple of times not knowing this. Still, once you know that it then becomes fun.

You're doing it the HARD way.

Fly into the hanger bay of your enemy - jump out, and blow up things inside!

You can disable the sheilds with 4 bombs, Life support with 3, Weapons with 3, and something else with 2.

Then, go back to the hanger bay and use one of THEIR ships to do the rest outside.

The Tie-Bomber and Y-Wing are the best.
;-)
Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »