JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ever been embarrassed by your hobby?  (Read 4698 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Ever been embarrassed by your hobby?
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »

Considering that most of you folks on here are guys who grew up with GI Joe from the 80s and still collect them in adulthood...do any of you ever get embarrassed by your hobby?  You know, funny looks from a hot girl or a MILF while you walked out of the toy aisle with an armload of Joes?

Usually I could give half a crap about what anyone else things about me or my hobby, but I do remember one embarrassing incident.  I live in an apartment complex, and the mailboxes are really small.  If UPS/FedEx/the Post Office brings you a package, they will leave a note in your mailbox and leave the package in the office.

I got one of the notes one day, which meant that my mail-away Docs were here!  Excited, I took the slip into the office.  The girl at the desk, probably by design, was incredibly smoking hot and I had chatted her up a few times.  So she opens the closet to get my Docs, and comes out with the bright white mailer boxes with the GI Joe logo emblazoned across them.  She didn't say anything or even give me a funny look, but I was still kinda embarrassed. 

"Real, real smooth," I thought to myself.  I mean, what was I gonna say, "So, when you get off you wanna come play with my Doc?"  Might get arrested for that one...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Ever been embarrassed by your hobby?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »

Well, I wasn't running around telling everyone at High School that I was still running out to get Joes each weekend at age 15, if that's what you mean.

Being the kind of nerd that wouldn't attract hot chicks anyway, I don't really care at all if they give me weird looks. I stare at their boobs and butts and that's no more rude than them giving the fat nerd dirty looks for cherry picking toys at Wal-mart. It's an agreement I have with the hot women of the world. I ogle them, and they can't make me feel bad about being a nerd.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:54:12 AM »

not embarrassed but more heckled, but that's by my wife mostly. Even then she begrudges me the space more then anything although she really doesn't understand the 30 year old having toys. I used to have some friends who thought it was weird but then I just told them to think of my toys as they do their sports cards. That's usually all I need to say.

Its funny because my one buddy wanted to see my toys and then told me he thought he still had an original Optimus Prime and Megatron at his parents house, we checked it out he still had them in their boxes (they were opened) but rarely played with. He told me he transformed them each like once or twice then put them back in their box and just had them on a shelf. I'm still trying to get him to sell them to me.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »

When I was a tween / teen then yeah, I felt sorta goofy buying toys. I use to say "this is for my little brother, etc...". Then I got into punk rock and just plain old stopped caring what people thought. Nothing like I dude with spiked wrist bands running half way up his left arm, a skater cut that had grown so long it was about 2 feet long, heavy chain for a belt (stole it from a picnic table), Czechoslovakia combat boots (Docs were to main stream for me), and a painted up leather coat standing next to your five year old as you look for the newest version of Cobra Commander.  ;D
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Recon

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://authorianoneill.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:25:30 AM »

No. I collect other things and when I'm out looking to pick up the latest I make sure that if ever there's a kid around, he or she gets a full look at all the toys. Especially if they talk about how much they want to play with whatever they're looking for. Kids should open their toys and play with them instead of treating them like investments.

Cheers,
Ian
 :P

BludChylde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »

Embarrassed? Why. It's my hobby, so what if its toys. Heck I even still play with them at the age of 30. My inner child still knows how to have fun, why should I care if others don't like it.

Most of my family hates that I'm a toy [s:196dtzey]collector[/s:196dtzey] enthusiast.

Besides, the best part is when I'm able to go on a toy run with my girlfriend. Its fun watching the looks on another toy guy's face when not only am I there with a beautiful woman, but she is also actively trying to find items I need.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
When I was a tween / teen then yeah, I felt sorta goofy buying toys. I use to say "this is for my little brother, etc...". Then I got into punk rock and just plain old stopped caring what people thought. Nothing like I dude with spiked wrist bands running half way up his left arm, a skater cut that had grown so long it was about 2 feet long, heavy chain for a belt (stole it from a picnic table), Czechoslovakia combat boots (Docs were to main stream for me), and a painted up leather coat standing next to your five year old as you look for the newest version of Cobra Commander.  ;D

do you have any before and after shots?  :)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »

I have never once been ashamed or scared to admit that I collect, and like toys.

If you feel the need to hide it, then you're in the wrong hobby.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

Quote from: "B"
Quote from: "morgardee"

do you have any before and after shots?  :)

Pretty much the only time I had my picture taken was when I was on stage and you won't see half that stuff on me when I'm under the microwave lights (the lights on the stage are freaking hot). This is about the only pic I have without doing a gig from that time in my life:

This is a more recent pic, from a few years ago at a Circle Jerks gig.

Now that I've slapped my mug all over this thread, anyone else want to jump in here?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
I have never once been ashamed or scared to admit that I collect, and like toys.

AMEN!

Why should validation from someone else justify or diminish participation in something you enjoy?

Its like saying I need your permission to live my life.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:52:13 PM by ARROW »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »

Hey Morgardee how often do you still play?  In the Band I mean. :wink:

The only time I'm embarrassed is when my friends want to play with my stuff.  I'm embarrassed for them not me because I'm comfortable with my inner child.
My favourite part of collecting is when my nephew (any kid for that matter) comes to look and play with my stuff.  I'm flattered when my neighbour tells other people, especially kids, about my collection and asks me to show it to them.

Don't be ashamed, embrace your hobby, the girls will come later.  My wife doesn't understand it, my father-in law makes jokes but I enjoy it and the people involved in the hobby like you guys, that's all that matters.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Recon

• View Profile
    • http://authorianoneill.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"

Well said, Mike.

Cheers,
Ian