JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Skystrikers...  (Read 12857 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Skystrikers...
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »

Here's the way to do it (THIS WEEK ONLY)

It's buy 1 get one 50% off all action figures. So get the SkyFighter, and then pick something else you want up (at an equal or lesser value) and that item will be 50% off at checkout.

Then use this:

http://zellersfacebook.ca/admin/app/webroot/files/pdf/4eced7c21fcb4/week44_red_PDFCoupon.pdf

And get a $10 discount on your purchase.

Good deal to get an item at 50% off and then get an extra $10 off to boot.
I was just going to say that!

None at Zellers Masonville in London.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

I'm happy with the deal I got from Hal. I ordered 2 Sky Strikers for $70, added them with an order of mid sized vehicles and got free shipping. Cost me $35 each, taxes and shipping included and I was able to support a friends personal small business.  ;)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

Winners at Pharmacy and Eglinton had 4 on the shelf.  $29.99 each, but I forgot to check which version it was (Skystriker or Skyfighter)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

Winners at Pharmacy and Eglinton had 4 on the shelf.  $29.99 each, but I forgot to check which version it was (Skystriker or Skyfighter)

I knew it was only a matter of time. Thanks for the update. Timbit given.  ;)

TheCheznit8

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

Cool, thats good news.  Im going to have to try and find one. Thanks for the headsup :)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

I also saw the Sky Strikers at Winners for $29.99.

I predict the VAMP 2 and that black jet thing (forget it's name right now) will show up soon. Maybe the Crimson Hiss as well.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »

Damn, Winners has them too... I guess that will seal the fate of large vehicles for GI Joe.   Funny how Star Wars gets everything and people are still buying whatever Hasbro slaps a Star Wars sticker on. 
Lurking

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

Joe is not very popular with kids you know.. no cartoon on TV doesn't help.. Retaliation has to be good, very good! Watching the cartoon in the 80's was the main reason why I was interested in the figures.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

Damn, Winners has them too... I guess that will seal the fate of large vehicles for GI Joe.   Funny how Star Wars gets everything and people are still buying whatever Hasbro slaps a Star Wars sticker on.
Star Wars just reaches across a larger demographic than GIJOE does, despite having many of the same literal themes. The cultural climate of the 80's is gone now, has evolved into very different sensibilities.

Joe is not very popular with kids you know.. no cartoon on TV doesn't help.. Retaliation has to be good, very good! Watching the cartoon in the 80's was the main reason why I was interested in the figures.
In my opinion, retaliation won't make any difference. In addition to public apathy about GIJOE, retailers are also skittish about the property. NOTHING in the past 20 years has altered that for the better, and given the box office for the first movie, there SHOULD have been some kind of sea-change in terms of sales on the product. Well, there clearly wasn't. Its not the 1980's anymore.....and there's nothing around to turn the tide in favour of GIJOE. Its a niche brand now, with a niche demographic.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »

Star Wars just reaches across a larger demographic than GIJOE does, despite having many of the same literal themes. The cultural climate of the 80's is gone now, has evolved into very different sensibilities.

In my opinion, retaliation won't make any difference. In addition to public apathy about GIJOE, retailers are also skittish about the property. NOTHING in the past 20 years has altered that for the better, and given the box office for the first movie, there SHOULD have been some kind of sea-change in terms of sales on the product. Well, there clearly wasn't. Its not the 1980's anymore.....and there's nothing around to turn the tide in favour of GIJOE. Its a niche brand now, with a niche demographic.

Yep, sadly I have to agree with your statements arrow.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

Yep, sadly I have to agree with your statements arrow.

There is one thing I think that would help, a cartoon done like it was in the 80's. Exact same style, same corny jokes, some voice actors (for those that are alive and willing to work). Give it a 8:30 am time slot on a network everyone has on Saturday morning and maybe then it would make a come back. The recent cartoons have tried to make G.I.Joe too serious and feel more like we, the adult collectors were the target audience.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

There is one thing I think that would help, a cartoon done like it was in the 80's. Exact same style, same corny jokes, some voice actors (for those that are alive and willing to work). Give it a 8:30 am time slot on a network everyone has on Saturday morning and maybe then it would make a come back. The recent cartoons have tried to make G.I.Joe too serious and feel more like we, the adult collectors were the target audience.

Sounds good on principle, but there is a problem:

There's already just such a cartoon--the original Sunbow stuff.

Its re-run in many time-slots over many different channels......and I understand its not all that well-rated.
The kid audience today can view it anytime they want, but that is the problem- they aren't watching it in the numbers the producers want.

New episodes cost 10+ times the cost of just re-running old episodes......there's no financial reason to do new material of the same stroke if it will not gain an audience any better than the old stuff it would parrot.
That is why they make new cartoons with very different themes--they want them to be their own animals, and to be very different from the originals.
The interest in re-hashing the original material just isn't there. Hasbro has taken similar stabs at this, with the same idea before. Valour vs Venom was very lighthearted in approach, and much of the repartee between characters in Sigma Six and Renegades was also similar.

The unfortunate thing about the Sunbow material is that its very dated now. It really does come across as trite, even hokey. The cartoon that everyone seemed to applaud was Resolute, but Hasbro balked at the mature theme it had because that is not what they see GIJOE as being aimed at. THAT is the crux of the property: its got a multiple identity disorder. There's the interpretation from the toys, then the cartoons, then the comics, then the movie(s)--and they are all somewhat different.
Because the audience is so fickle and the interest SO niche-level, they continue to play ALL of those interpretations to make sales........and hope they don't work to cross-purposes against each other. GIJOE sells enough/ has JUST enough interest to keep it going......but not enough interest to make it as profitable as Hasbro would like for one of its house brands. That's the eternal frustration in this. Hasbro expects more from it, the fans expect more from it, but the demographic base that MAKES it more isn't there, and frankly isn't all that interested in it.

The old argument remains; a light-saber is just waaaay more engaging than a SCAR rifle, and always will be.