JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: MC Cobra's Most Wanted: Mercenaries - Cobra Mortal confirmed  (Read 11519 times)

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
MC Cobra's Most Wanted: Mercenaries - Cobra Mortal confirmed
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 10:41:30 PM »

That pic you posted doesn't work, Pete...

I'll say, the idea to use Mortal was good, although his functions don't match the original Argentina character (who was Artillery and something else)... I just wish they had used some better parts than just a direct repaint of 97 Snake-Eyes...  :|
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

Picture fixed, including yours which was changed by MC as they altered the accessories.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 02:28:30 AM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
Picture fixed, including yours which was changed by MC as they altered the accessories.

Thanks.

That new weapon is an improvement... but... the text clearly says this figure will have hard forearms like any figure made before 1997. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that they got the brilliant idea to give Mortal a new sculpt sniper rifle with a handle too thick to be held by old sculpt hard plastic hands. I dinno how they pulled it off for the pic, but I suspect some broken thumbs on this figure thanks to the rifle.

Personally, while I like the fact that he has a color scheme now... I still hate the scrawny mold and the bad, bad waist... So I'm thinking I'll just skip this year's set (which is a shame, because if the final figure had been good, this would've been the first con set I would've wanted since Undercover Jinx.) and if I ever want a Mortal real bad, I can just make one with the help of red dye and ChromeTechUSA.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »

Actually Jin, I've spec-ed out creating a mortal, and it'll run you about 15 US just for the chromed parts, not including the cost of the figure or shipping both ways. The most challenging part would be deconstructing and reconstructing the arm for the chroming process. You would also lose the mobility in the arm, and have to replace it with a bigger rivet, and you'd have to go with straight arms unless you know of a way to deconstruct and reconstruct swivel arms.  That's some complicated tech.

The red dye would be difficult if not impossible on a black figure and almost every mold of that type has been cast in black - Unless maybe you can get Pete to donate his white snake eyes for it. ;-)

You'd also have to get a good red paint to stick to the chrome. That's going to be a cast iron bitch, because the chrome doesn't take paint well. I know it was a pain in the ass for MC, because they even make mention of the fact in the announcement.

So if you can buy the figure for less than $35 you're ahead of the game, and get the swivel arm articulation to boot. I will consider chometeching a 82 waist for him if he won't stand straight (the fact that he's posed on a stand suggests that...) but replicating the paint for even the belt would be a pain.

It's going to be a bitch tracking this one down. I can even see some folks spending coin to army build these guys, because it would be such a novelty.

-   :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 09:13:21 AM »

Hey Pete, the reason the weapons are grey and not black is MC group wants thier weapos to stand out from the rest of your Joe weapons. That was actually brought up over at the MC board.

Hey Raps, keep us posted if you go thru with the Chrometech thing. I might do that as well. I've been wanting to give that a test.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
Hey Raps, keep us posted if you go thru with the Chrometech thing. I might do that as well. I've been wanting to give that a test.

I got quotations. He hates doing small scale joe stuff. He's also not fond of Canadians. He will only take Certified Cheques or Money Orders, which add about 7$ to the cost for me. He's also unsure of the shipping costs, so he'd prefer that I send him one cheque for the work, then one for the shipping home.

I asked him for a set of quotes. he quoted me an average of $3 a part (Mostly heads), as opposed to the $2 a part he quoted to Nova (From Joe Customs) for silver and $3 for gold.

I have a fairly large project, and I really can't afford to lose the parts that I've collected to do it, so I'm hoping that an alternative shows up. If not, I'm likely going to send the parts to an american, and pay to have all the shipping done through them.  The cost of doing this puts the project on the backburner for the time being.  :-(

I'm not giving up on it, but I need to save up the spending money to do the project correctly, and there are so many other things that I am interested in getting right now.

-  :chicken:

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »

I should contact them myself and get a price quote as well. If that's the case and it's that expensive then can I add on to your order and help with the costs of money orders, etc...?

Pretty sure I want to try the Comic Destro head, origanl 13 waist and maybe a comic Snake Eyes to make a new spin on De Aco some time. No stealing my De Aco idea either.  :shifty:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »

I contact this guy last year to get my Mortal redone.  I wasn't comfortable in the end in the sending parts. The though of replacing vintage parts (incase something went wrong) scared me off.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
Hey Pete, the reason the weapons are grey and not black is MC group wants thier weapos to stand out from the rest of your Joe weapons. That was actually brought up over at the MC board.

They better change their stance on this.  Most people hate this colour.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 02:26:25 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
The red dye would be difficult if not impossible on a black figure and almost every mold of that type has been cast in black - Unless maybe you can get Pete to donate his white snake eyes for it. ;-)

So if you can buy the figure for less than $35 you're ahead of the game, and get the swivel arm articulation to boot. I will consider chometeching a 82 waist for him if he won't stand straight (the fact that he's posed on a stand suggests that...) but replicating the paint for even the belt would be a pain.

I never said I was going to use an 83 Snake-Eyes. That'd be dumb. I'm thinking of using post-85 parts to make him fit in with the rest of my collection. The parts I'm thinking of using are mostly white, so the red dye would work just fine. As for the chroming, well... you got me.

But the point is, if I just want an 83 Snake-Eyes in chrome, I'd just buy the MC figure. What I want is something different. Something a bit more original and less dated. I bet if Plastirama had access to more than just 82 figures, they'd have made Cobra Mortal with better parts.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Mor, I have had the DeAco together since the last Joe meet. I'll use the original head though, since I have a straight armed body. I want to put one together that even Pete can't tell from the original... ;-)

I have no problem throwing a few parts into what I am sending along to share the costs. I have someone in mind to help me with it. It'll have to wait a month or so until my hobby account recovers from the joe meet and the Marauder release 2 weapons.

If you want to get in contact with him, call the number on the site, it will reach him in his shed. ;-) There realy isn't a good time to call, but I kept getting the guy's son, who assured me that Dad would call back. He didn't or didn't get the message.

Pete, Did you need some particular parts re-chromed? I'm sure that I have similar parts that I can send in so that you wouldn't have to send the rarer ones.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 04:31:46 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
Pete, Did you need some particular parts re-chromed? I'm sure that I have similar parts that I can send in so that you wouldn't have to send the rarer ones.

Mortal parts and a De Aco head.  And you can see why I didn't want to lose the parts. I have a spare Mexican Snake Eyes figure I could use instead.