JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: MC Cobra's Most Wanted: Mercenaries - Cobra Mortal confirmed  (Read 11521 times)

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
MC Cobra's Most Wanted: Mercenaries - Cobra Mortal confirmed
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 05:53:14 PM »

I've been wanting to send parts there as well for about a year, but never got around to doing so. There's a couple pieces I wanted to have chromed and gold plated. Now that you state his price quotes, forms of accepted payment and having to send out payment twice via MO or certified cheque, it makes it a little less attractive.

Raps what makes you think he's not fond of canadians?

As for Mortal, my opinion is that it's a cool fig for the collection and display, but serves no other purpose in the joe verse. Plus he's got hard plastic for the lower arms, which means watch out or else broken thumbs. For the price you're going to pay, you want to be really careful. It's really screaming display piece. I've got mixed feelings for this one.

I know you guys had this discussion of whether he's a robot/cyborg or not based on his FC, but I look at him, he screams robot to me. What person would be running around in that sort of costume/outfit? armor? I'm not so sure about that.

The effort was there for MC, but the execution is off. To me, just rehashing the SE mold with the roadblock waist that's been released I don't know how many times in the past 5 years is lame. I know some of you will say, it's great that we will get a mortal and otherwise would never had a chance to own one. I do agree with this argument.

However, some will argue that MC was trying to get it as close to the original as possible, that's just weak and lazy on their part. If they really wanted to do that they would have grabbed comic pack short fuse's waist and arms or anybody else's waist. The body, waist and legs just don't mesh together. MC could have used some better parts (post 85) to recreate Mortal and it would have looked a lot cooler while all of us would still have a chance to own one. I would have preferred this route and in grey instead of chrome. This way it would fit the characters filecard. If he's a sniper and an assassin, you shouldn't be able to spot him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »

Quote from: ""Madman""
Raps what makes you think he's not fond of canadians?

I talked to him on the phone. He said, "I don't usually like dealing with Canada". (meaning internationally I think, or maybe Canada in particular) He was dismissive, and affrontish, but he may just have had some bad experiences.

I know that Nova from the joe board deals with him regularly and has never had a problem, so I wouldn't class him as a bad trader or anything, he just didn't really seem interesed in my business or the additional hassle of dealing with a Canadian.

He's also primarily a hot wheels collector, so I'm not sure that he cares much for action figures in the first place.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 09:02:03 AM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
Quote from: ""Raptor""
Pete, Did you need some particular parts re-chromed? I'm sure that I have similar parts that I can send in so that you wouldn't have to send the rarer ones.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »

I have a complete Mexican Snake Eyes to use.  Croming on black plastic would be a problem as the De Aco head was black or cream coloured.

There has to be somebody in this country that can do it.

I'm doing a white one. ;-)

Well that is going to save you about 4 grand US.  And what about PDD?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:38:32 AM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 10:56:19 AM »

While I always admired the leopard print, one would be better off making this guy...

http://www.evilface.com/otherscustoms/p ... destro.htm

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 01:33:49 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
I have a complete Mexican Snake Eyes to use.  Croming on black plastic would be a problem as the De Aco head was black or cream coloured.

There has to be somebody in this country that can do it.

I'm doing a white one. ;-)

Well that is going to save you about 4 grand US.  And what about PDD?

The PDD has the base coat on it already. I have perfect front back and side shots to work from, and I've even done a paint test of the spotting pattern.

It's so damned easy to do that I can't get the motivation up to finish it. It's a 40 minute job from beginning to end, and doesn't even involve painting arms. There just isn't that much difference between it and the 97 Destro. I have no idea how these got to be so expensive considering how easy they are to duplicate. If I wanted to spend $100 on a special coating resin (instead of paint) it would be completely indistinguishable from the real thing. Makes you wonder if someone else hasn't thought of that too...

Pete: I was under the impression that black plastic chromed fine. I take it that the mexican one has a blue base color? The mexican one would certainly feel a little more like a foreign one for plastic quality. Are the heads chromed past the neck?

If I can find someone in this country to do it, I'll go for it. I think I may pick this project up again next month. I'll do some research, and if anyone is going to bot con, please take a look for someone that does that kind of work.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »

Pete: I was under the impression that black plastic chromed fine. I take it that the mexican one has a blue base color? The mexican one would certainly feel a little more like a foreign one for plastic quality. Are the heads chromed past the neck?

As for the Mexican figure, it is all molded in black.  It's pretty much like the American version.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »

The PDD has the base coat on it already. I have perfect front back and side shots to work from, and I've even done a paint test of the spotting pattern.

It's so damned easy to do that I can't get the motivation up to finish it. It's a 40 minute job from beginning to end, and doesn't even involve painting arms. There just isn't that much difference between it and the 97 Destro. I have no idea how these got to be so expensive considering how easy they are to duplicate. If I wanted to spend $100 on a special coating resin (instead of paint) it would be completely indistinguishable from the real thing. Makes you wonder if someone else hasn't thought of that too...

And this why have been gun shy to get a PDD figure.....

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 08:44:10 AM »

Pick me up a 97 Destro Pete, and I'll make you a "placeholder".