JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Looking for GI Joe fans for new TV show  (Read 13232 times)

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Looking for GI Joe fans for new TV show
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 05:34:44 PM »

Jennifer.  I think every collector or hobbyist likes to share their joy, they are just wary of becoming the butt of someone's joke.

I am not sure where you are in your research, but I think it is important to recognize that the phenomenon of GI Joe did not really start with a show or movie as did the whole Star Wars or Star Trek excitement.  It was a toy first.  The character driven element of the toy and comics thanks to Larry Hama helped bring it to a broader depth that helped give it its appeal.  In my opinion the cartoon was an OK bonus and not necessarily the driver.  I have met a few people that the cartoon got them hooked, but there was 2 or 3 years with minimal cartoons where the toy was still quite popular.

I am glad to see that your perspective on the project appears to be balanced, however your comment on the retraction makes me think you have not been at this very long.  Retractions are a very rare item in any media business.  I have not seen anything anyone has said even being close to warranting a retraction.  There are some very valid concerns based on available information.  This places the onus on you to deliver on your word.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 05:43:33 PM »

Considering TVtropolis is one of the few stations I actually watch on a daily basis, I will watch the show and make a further assessment from there.  The 7 PM time slot explains why Due South got bumped to 6 PM.

Now back to watching Married With Children.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »

Quote from: ""Tattoo Shane""
I don't have TVTropolis so i'm afraid i won't be able to check out the show

Well I do (Hogan Knows Best!).
And I'll watch it tomorrow as well (Better be something I know of!) ;-)

- Mike

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:15 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
Quote from: ""Tattoo Shane""
I don't have TVTropolis so i'm afraid i won't be able to check out the show

Well I do (Hogan Knows Best!).
And I'll watch it tomorrow as well (Better be something I know of!) ;-)

- Mike

See, i watch TV for a living so the last thing i want to do is come home and watch it here. ;)
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »

Well Sid, I hope you watched it.... get ready to retract!  ;-)

Thank god it was something I enjoy (Dukes Of Hazzard).
I found they presented the people just fine.

If my Joe Collection were larger, I'd say 'sign me up' to Jennifer in a second.

They showcased two people - both with a replica General Lee, both die hards with massive collections. They both seemed to know their stuff, and both seem to have a solid head on their shoulders.

One was a 'family man'. He had 2 kids, a wife, and a barn that he's slowing turning into a 'museum' of sorts. (Actually missed what it's going to be).

The other was an engaged fella and his fiance met WHILE he was being the collector and already had the car done. So (like my wife), she knows what she's getting into. ;-)

They both ended up at Dukes Fest. Over 50,000 people show up for it yearly (I've known about this event for years!), and the show even showed the cool aspects of the event (and some of the people that 'dressed up' or 'face painted' nothing really different than Trek, Joe, or Star Wars conventions.

It was a good show.... but I couldn't help thinking while watching it that I have a TON of contacts of people that would be perfect for this show. From Joe, Star Wars, Megos, My Little Ponies, Transformers, Wrestling, and old stuff like Tin toys and cast iron banks.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a few of them on there one day...... actually, I'll be more surpised if I DON'T see them on there!
;-)

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of the show. I'll watch it again for sure.
Mike

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 08:36:41 PM »

Shane, your not missing much with Hogan's show.  I suspect this so called reality show to be scripted.  Hogan is chronic BSer in life.

As for Fanatics, I watched the same episode as Mike did with the Dukes of Hazard collectors.  I found the show to be very entertaining, probably because I viewed it through the eyes of a collector.  The guys on the show are no different than other collectors I have come across i.e. normal.  

Mike, as for the barn, the guy wanted to put his collection in there and have bascially dio set ups of the real life vehicles, including having stuff for sale.  So it sounded like a museum to me.

SID

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://neoengel.com
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »

Well Sid, I hope you watched it.... get ready to retract!  ;-)

I have no intention to retract.  If the show itself is fine, cool, whatever.

I'm would never consider signing up due to my original concerns plus the unprofessionalism of them in the first place to allow the original write up to be typed up, let alone made public.
Sid, host of the Snake-Eyes Tribute site
www.neoengel.com/snakeeyes

Sid\'s Snake-Eyes Costumes

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:31:15 AM »

So wait? You didn't even watch it?

Sorry Sid, but you can't make a decision about something based on something you read on another site.

People change, companies change. It's life.
If you don't give people the chance to change things, then you're technically being no better than they were in the first place.

I gave it a chance. I enjoyed it - alot.
Pete gave it a chance - he enjoyed it.

Seriously, PLEASE watch it next week - it's only 30 minutes of your life man!! ;-)

Many times tyhings on paper differ from the final product. In this case, the final product WAS different (in a good way) than it was 'on paper'.

I dunno... I really thought you would of watched it - you know?... "Gather the intel" type of thing. ;-)
Mike

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:29 PM »

is it on any other network than  the one mentioned earlier?

I wouldn't mind catching this  show.
Zinthos.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
i agree
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »

i caught an epsiiode of it that showed some die hard convention goin' star trek fans, and they were presented as normal healthy hobbyists.  it was a fun, entertaining look at star trek fans, that was actually more fairly presented than the movie "trekkies".  i

f they take this kind of approach with other fans (and mike and pete's posts make me think they have), then i don't think there is any great concern.  

granted, the original press release was whacked, but as a writer, i have had to revise many things before the final version is airworthy....

like mike said...it's 30 minutes, and at least then you'll be able to make an informed opinion.  

just hope they have a joe show coming up soon.....
Wherever you go, there you are.

SID

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://neoengel.com
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

So wait? You didn't even watch it?

Sorry Sid, but you can't make a decision about something based on something you read on another site.

Seriously, PLEASE watch it next week - it's only 30 minutes of your life man!! ;-)

2 things,

1, I don't have cable, nor intend to get it.  If someone can shuttle an episode or two over I'll watch it.

2.  I didn't just read the information on another site, the info came directly from a friend of mine who works on the legal department for conventions, writing up contracts/dealing directly with celebs... I absolutely trust her integrity.
Sid, host of the Snake-Eyes Tribute site
www.neoengel.com/snakeeyes

Sid\'s Snake-Eyes Costumes

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for GI Joe fans for new TV show
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 12:02:50 AM »

Anybody catch the Transformer one on Tuesday?  They had footage from the 2006 Botcon.

And any word on the couple of guys here that expressed interest in doing the GI JOE one?