JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Black Ice is gonna be copied  (Read 9045 times)

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Re: Black Ice is gonna be copied
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:51:13 PM »

Unsurprisingly, Alyosha replied saying that he'd only do it if it was profitable.
The man's definitely a prick.  >:(

I know Bekker is a lot more respectful to the hobby and to the people involved, so I'd expect his reply to be better.

And Ryan, if he does go through with this, I'm going to the Joe Con and putting my foot in his face a couple of times before litterally stuffing his foot in his mouth, no matter how many broken body parts it'll take.

PS: Why didn't anyone tell me the JoeCanuck boards were back up?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:27:13 PM »

I'd just like to throw something else out there from everyone.

What Alyosha does with his store is done entirely independantly from Bekker and his crew at the main store.
So when you're referring to the stuff like the 1995 figures and the lack of creativity (trust me guys, the main store is PLENTY CREATIVE, just look at their swords and headsculpts), refer to Alyosha and not to GoodToGo in general.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I've dealt many times with the main GTG store and he's even called me up once to ask my opinions on some upcoming projects, so I have tremendous respect for him and what he does with his store.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
What Alyosha does with his store is done entirely independantly from Bekker and his crew at the main store.
So when you're referring to the stuff like the 1995 figures and the lack of creativity (trust me guys, the main store is PLENTY CREATIVE, just look at their swords and headsculpts), refer to Alyosha and not to GoodToGo in general.

Aly is on the G2G site, his stuff is sold through that site - therefore what Aly does in my opinion reflects upon the G2G site.

Let's say JoeCanuck.com had a store. Now lets say I allowed Aly to sell his stuff on here.
If someone has a problem with his service or items, or how he does things - that would reflect on the rest of the JoeCanuck store.

Giving Aly his own section on the G2G site is like giving him a partnership - regardless how big or small. What Aly does - WILL reflect on G2G in my opinion. Bekker can stop him - threaten to take away his 'corner'. It's simple logic.

As for Aly's post:
I will say were this figure to be reproduced it would be no different than say the De Simone Race Car Driver Ace or Police Officer Starduster.  Casts of a fan made figure are just that, casts of a fan made figure.  Like I said, if someone were to do one of mine, I'd be pissed, but would have no room to gripe about it.

He's sorta right (yes I said that), the parts used for Black Ice ARE all Hasbro parts. I had no right to use them - but I did. If Aly did one of Joe Canuck - then Loop could raise hell since it was HIS sculpt. If Aly has any merits or respect for the hobby, then he wouldn't do the Joe Canuck figure right?

I dunno.

Would it suck if he did it - yes.
Can we stop him? No.

What we can do is stop him from using the art, and the name of the figure. He did say he gives credit for other people ideas - let's see if he sends a link to JoeCanuck.com when he makes his 'new style' version.... we all know it's gonna happen sooner or later.

I just wish he'd leave other peoples work alone and make more of his own items. He comes up with some pretty cool stuff on his own - he doesn't need to make money off other peoples ideas. That's unethical and if his moral compass tells him otherwise - then we need to buy him a new compass for Christmas.

Oh, and Jay. We didn't tell you because we didn't tell anyone!
I actually think I sent out a mailer from the site..... if your email addy is correct then you should of gotten it. The main board was updated - does no one read it?
Mike
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:11:19 PM by Anonymous »

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 11:56:41 PM »

Like I said, Bekker's reply would be a lot better than Alyosha's, and it was. He pretty much said that he wouldn't do a Black Ice reproduction or update without first getting Mike's permission.

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »

GTG isn't doing the figure and wasn't intending to, and Alyosha doesn't even get the appeal of it, so Black Ice is safe!   8)

I'm not even sure why that idiot posted it as a suggestion for Aly to cast in the first place... the only old sculpt stuff the man deals with is the P95 stuff and that's just lame IMO.  And yeah, reflective of GTG as a whole technically, Aly is still his own thing over there so if the dude wanted BI ripped off by GTG, he should have posted in the main board's suggestion thread.  But since nobody that would support that endeavor seems to GET IT and the mystique of all the great that IS Black Ice, I'm happy GTG ain't touchin' it now. 

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 11:43:11 AM »

Where do I stand on this? If someone wants to clone a Sub Viper head and A vapor torso, go to it. Seriously, cast it, it's how they were made in the first place.

But it won't be Black Ice. It won't be the same painting, it won't be the same artwork, and it won't be the same filecard. Black Ice isn't the figure, it's the concept and the intelectual creation attached to the figure. It's the press and the hype, and the limitedness.

If you want to make one for yourself, do it. If you try to sell it as an unnamed figure, I guess that's your right. But if you try to make money off the Black Ice name, you'd better have Mike's permission and be sending him a cheque.

I'm a little conflicted on this. Buying casted parts is in the same legal grey area as downloading music. If you're downloading it for personal enjoyment, and not massive quantities of it, that's a moral leap that most people are willing to make. But if you are downloading it to burn copies to sell to other people, you've crossed a line. That may not be other people's etical standard, but it one that I'm generally ok with when it comes to toys.

I've done several customs of foreign figures. Am I screwing hasbro or Joe Fans by making a knock off Marujo? I honestly don't know. But in this case, I'm ok with the casting so long as people don't try to financially benefit from Mike's intelectual property.

Mind you if they were selling the parts in a complete state, dyed to match and painted, I'd have a bigger problem with it. And if they ever copied Joe Canuck's head I'd be livid.

Also, I hate to say it but I have to agree with Jin. We shouldn't bash G2G for this. They didn't actually *do* anything, and I sincerely doubt that they would. I have every confidence that Bekker would *not* let anything like this happen. 

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 02:37:07 PM »

Quote from: "Raptor"
Also, I hate to say it but I have to agree with Jin.
Why do people ALWAYS say that?

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »

You know, I remember the first time that Mike mentioned the name Black Ice. He asked me if it sounded silly. He almost didn't go with the name, I remember it being one of 3 that he considered.

Reminds me of this guy who was pitching a new show to Fox Kids. The woman wanted something out of the box. He showed it to her, but made her promise not to laugh, because everyone had told him that it was awful, and had laughed.

The show was the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. 

And it seems that Black Ice turned out to be the "perfect storm" of an original character.

Who knew.

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 03:22:59 PM »

Careful guys!
By posting here, you might be banned from shopping at Alyosha's section of the store! :lol:

He sent me a PM on GTG basically insulting me and warning me never to post in his section again (with an implied "or else") and he said he didn't want my business.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »

Yeah, he sent me some holy-than thou PM as well.
Mr. ego is my new name for him - which is a shame since he came across as a nice guy on the G2G board.

Wolf? Sheep? Clothing?

*shrug*

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »

Quote from: "BHT"
Yeah, he sent me some holy-than thou PM as well.
Mr. ego is my new name for him - which is a shame since he came across as a nice guy on the G2G board.

Wolf? Sheep? Clothing?

*shrug*
I'd think so.
He came across rather nicely to me on the Joecustoms board, but then something didn't go his way and he flipped out, turned into a major asshole and got banned. Then he burned his bridge by insulting beav and demanding all the customs he'd submitted be removed from the site.
Then on the GTG boards again, he seemed rather nice, but then all of a sudden he was all "Screw integrity and collector courtesy, I'll copy Black Ice if it can give me MONEY!"... And then when people reacted negatively to his behavior, he decided to ban us for life from his store ala Comic Book Guy.  :-X

Doesn't really matter to me, I never planned on shopping at his section anyway.  :lol: His stuff is overpriced and I hear the quality and service isn't as good as what Bekker and Master Gunzz do.

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 09:59:04 PM »

Mike couldn't be more right with his new name for  Aly.      The  guy wouldn't even  part  with a friggen painted custom of Sgt Slaughter  for the sarge himself ... "well this one isn't for sale  but  I have  a kit I could sel him".... geeze. 

Actually I don't think Mr ego  is the right  name... i have a few others  but I think the filter would burn out if I used them.

he's only in it for the $$$$   

my 2 cents 

Zinthos.