JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Stephen Sommers Will Not Direct G.I. Joe 2  (Read 18608 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Sommers Will Not Direct G.I. Joe 2
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
if indiana jones had stayed home in Raiders, everything would've played out the same. the Nazis would've still got the necklace, still found the map room, still found the Ark and still got melted.

....... I never thought of it that way before.

I guess the only thing that really happened was Indy re-connected with Marion and end up getting her pregnant with "Mutt" Williams and we didn't even find out about that until the 4th movie.

Still, very valid point and something I never thought about before. I guess Sundance gets a timbit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »

if indiana jones had stayed home in Raiders, everything would've played out the same. the Nazis would've still got the necklace, still found the map room, still found the Ark and still got melted.
The Ark was a McGuffin.
The story was more about Indy's journey through searching for the Ark, and his reconnection with Marion.
The culmination of that journey was in Indy's choice between destroying the Ark or also seeing what was inside of it.

Like Belloq, he too could not resist the mystery, even though it meant surrendering both himself and Marion to the Nazis and whatever fate they had in store.
Now, the Ark was a manifestation of the Will of God, and of course it was practically a given that it would choose the side of good.
Being a Divine object, it could also be said that it saw fit that Good would triumph over Evil no matter what either side did.
( Its why it would not allow itself to be abused by the Nazi's, but would allow itself to be sealed up again and stored away by the Americans. At least they understood there were some things that Mankind were not meant to know....)

The lure of the mystery was always going to be Indy's downfall, and it was the source of his constant dire plights, but his good sense ( usually at the last moment) wins out and saves him.
In the Last Crusade this is apparent as he tries to reach for the Grail, the lure of it enthralling him. Its only the steadiness of his father telling him to forgo the Grail at that penultimate moment does Indy realize the futility of dealing with the Supernatural will.
Its a lesson he struggles with in Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade.

So while the outcome of bringing the Ark back into the world, was more or less a given--Indy's journey through these adventures was not.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

i can't take credit for the idea, i saw it on another forum and had teh self-same holy $4!t! moment...

it's probably a cracked.com article too... like they did one about 'movies where the villains are right all along.'
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »

i can't take credit for the idea, i saw it on another forum and had teh self-same holy $4!t! moment...

it's probably a cracked.com article too... like they did one about 'movies where the villains are right all along.'
I want to read that! Got a link?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

Quote from: "Stratos"
Quote from: "pdaat"
The movie was fine for what it was, but I think the new writers are a plus.  I also think losing the director is a plus.

It was still better than TF2.

Amen to that! TF2, the Star Wars prequels, Indy 4, and Spidey 3... the greatest cinematic disappointments of this geek's life.

You need to add Wolverine Origins to your list. Also Batman Forever and Batman and Robin (which I have deemed worst movie of all time).

I didn't hate the Star Wars Prequels (maybe Phantom Menace). Indy 4 had some good moments but I wont add it to my collection.

Arashikage Ninja #333

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »

I wasn't oiverly impressed with the first movie and knew the fanboys would not be happy just off the prior screenshots of the maiking and such.  So when I went in to see it I threw all expectations of what it would be out the window and still was not overly impressed.

They had so much material to work with and why they went the way they did is beyond me but ws expected since happens alot when movies come out.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »

Here is an update to the movie....
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/bleedthefreak/news/?a=29403

Channing Tatum Updates The Status On The G.I. Joe Sequel
Channing Tatum who portrayed Duke in G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra updates its sequel and the little solid progress it has made other then having a script

Channig Tatum was the actor who portrayed Duke in the 2009 movie G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra (or for denial purposes a character named Duke in a film that just happens to be titled G.I. Joe). G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra barely scrapped through the box offices and had to rely on Blu-Ray and DVD sales just to make its remaining budget back.

So what happened with the flop that was G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra? Why it is getting a sequel, written by the impressive duo behind Zombieland and Deadpool, Rhett Rheese and Paul Wernick.

Now the film's star Channing Tatum offered an update on the progress of the sequel to COLLIDER:

"From everything I’ve heard, there’s a script. They’re trying to figure out something going on behind the scenes with the director. They keep everything pretty close to the chest with those big movies but I do know there’s a script.

"I have not read it yet. I’m about to start lighting a fire under those guys’ feet to give it to me because I’m dying to know. I know it’s substantial. It’s definitely different from what I hear."

All we know about a sequel to G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra other than its writing team is that the cast that includes Channing Tatum, Dennis Quaid, Ray Park, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Sienna Miller, Marlon Wayans and Rachel Nichols are expected to return.
Lurking

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 12:48:17 PM »

cool, thanx for posting  the update!  I liked the first one when i saw it in the theatre.  but i have to admit i have watched it a few times now at home and it is easy to see how people do not like it.  hoping the next one is much better!
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »

I hope so too... either way most of us WILL see it regardless and most WILL buy the DVDBlu-Ray when it comes out!
Lurking

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »

Thx for the news!

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I hope so too... either way most of us WILL see it regardless and most WILL buy the DVDBlu-Ray when it comes out!

Speak for yourself.  :lol:  That movie will never see my DVD shelf and I only paid once to see it, other times it was free.

Honestly, at this point I would rather they just reboot and start over, but at least the writers were a step in the right direction.