JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe 2 to be released on June 29, 2012  (Read 19849 times)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe 2 to be released on August 10, 2012
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
The cartoon was aimed for kids.  Hence, it should be hokey as it's a glorified commercial to sell toys.  You think if the cartoon in the 1980s was made like Resolute we would even be talking Joe today?  I highly doubt it.
I watched the Mass Device series yesterday and that stuff is still awesome in my book.
Action, adventure and funny one-liners.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Say no to AFA.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

I am not sad that they are going to cut out some of the characters from the new movie (ie: Heavy Duty, Breaker, Ripcord and Scarlett - General Hawk still needs to be in the movie, if not Quaid, then somebody).

It is also easy to explain that Cobra Commander, Destro and Baroness won't be in the movie, they are still in the detention center on the Flagg. 

The new movie needs a villain and I would like to see Serpentor or the Crimson Twins.  Serpentor doesn't have to be a clone.  You could use the same character from IDW's Cobra comic.

The movie will probably show a smaller team (possibly 6 team members) since there isn't a Cobra threat anymore. I hope they introduce some new characters like Gung Ho, Wild Bill, Stalker and Lady Jaye.

I am just excited to see a new G.I. Joe movie.  Rise of Cobra wasn't the best movie ever, but I love it.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »

I think the biggest most important question hasn't been answered (or even asked)

Will Brendan Fraser be returning?

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »

Quote from: "Jon S."

I think the biggest most important question hasn't been answered (or even asked)

Will Brendan Fraser be returning?

Nope, he is out too!
Lurking

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »

It's interesting how all of the actors trash the movie now, but they sure as heck don't complain about the paycheck.  Stick it in your grandma Sienna and learn how to act first then you can come to me and complain about a movie you were in being bad.  Look at yourself first.

The only people who I think were cast properly in the first place were Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Heavy Duty, Zartan, and Hawk (and Dennis Quad was a last minute because his son talked him into it) and I'm on the fence with Destro.  I always thought the person playing Destro should be tall and stocky.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »

It's interesting how all of the actors trash the movie now, but they sure as heck don't complain about the paycheck.  Stick it in your grandma Sienna and learn how to act first then you can come to me and complain about a movie you were in being bad.  Look at yourself first.

Do you  realize how out of place that sentiment is? Do you love every day at work? If you do, hey that's great, but its sure not universal.

I've worked on a lot of shitty cartoons in my time, but some of them are favourites of people ( kids, adults, whoever) that watch them.
However that simple fact doesn't make the cartoons any less shitty. I'd be dishonest if I played up the turds just because someone else likes them. They are still turds. I know the kind of sentiment Miller speaks of very well.
I don't complain about the pay-cheques either, by the way.

Let's face it, sometimes at the end of the day this stuff is just a job that people do for pay and little else. Yeah, it "means something" to the fans, but THAT is all in the fan's head. For those that do it professionally, this stuff isn't always the kind of thing they are fans of, or even like, and YES they are just there to do the job they are asked to do and to collect a pay-cheque.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »

what pisses me off is when they say 'oh it was a great experience' or 'oh, i was a fan as a kid' and THEN turn around and trash it when it doesn't do well.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
what pisses me off is when they say 'oh it was a great experience' or 'oh, i was a fan as a kid' and THEN turn around and trash it when it doesn't do well.

You make it sound like you weren't expecting to hear doubletalk out of Hollywood.

Megan Fox did the exact same thing with Transformers.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »

my optimism keeps getting the better of me.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
It's interesting how all of the actors trash the movie now, but they sure as heck don't complain about the paycheck.  Stick it in your grandma Sienna and learn how to act first then you can come to me and complain about a movie you were in being bad.  Look at yourself first.

Do you  realize how out of place that sentiment is? Do you love every day at work? If you do, hey that's great, but its sure not universal.

I've worked on a lot of shitty cartoons in my time, but some of them are favourites of people ( kids, adults, whoever) that watch them.
However that simple fact doesn't make the cartoons any less shitty. I'd be dishonest if I played up the turds just because someone else likes them. They are still turds. I know the kind of sentiment Miller speaks of very well.

Let's face it, sometimes at the end of the day this stuff is just a job that people do for pay and little else. Yeah, it "means something" to the fans, but THAT is all in the fan's head. For those that do it professionally, this stuff isn't always the kind of thing they are fans of, or even like, and YES they are just there to do the job they are asked to do and to collect a pay-cheque.

The difference here is;   I don't go around to the media and publicly trash a multi-million dollar property after being handed a large six figure paycheck and I doubt you have ever done the same.  Complaining to friends and co workers is one thing.  It's not to the extreme as Charlie Sheen but to me that is just as unprofessional and in poor taste. In my opinion that can not be excused my friends.  Hollywood's biggest problem is these actors feel they are entitled to say what they please because they hit it big.
That doesn't fly with me.  

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
Quote from: "ARROW"
It's interesting how all of the actors trash the movie now, but they sure as heck don't complain about the paycheck.  Stick it in your grandma Sienna and learn how to act first then you can come to me and complain about a movie you were in being bad.  Look at yourself first.

Do you  realize how out of place that sentiment is? Do you love every day at work? If you do, hey that's great, but its sure not universal.

The difference here is;   I don't go around to the media and publicly trash a multi-million dollar property after being handed a large six figure paycheck and I doubt you have ever done the same.  Complaining to friends and co workers is one thing.  It's not to the extreme as Charlie Sheen but to me that is just as unprofessional and in poor taste. In my opinion that can not be excused my friends.  Hollywood's biggest problem is these actors feel they are entitled to say what they please because they hit it big.
That doesn't fly with me.  

So its just a matter of scale?? What's the difference then? 6 figure income means anything different from a 4-figure income?
Crap is crap, and denying that is absurd.
Because one is paid to do something doesn't mean they divest themselves of an opinion, public or private. The profession is to do the work to meet the needs of the product or the client..........not to cheerlead it when it doesn't really deserve it.  Oh, sure, sometimes one is paid to cheerlead as well, to sell the darn thing--but to cheerlead it forever?  Nah, the payout only goes so far and then, imo, the personal opinions can kick back into play. An actor's profession is to play the part of a role, and when that role is done to move on and play another different part. If/when they are cut loose from obligations to continue the part, then sure--they can speak their mind.

If they have done their job, made their client/employer happy, then that is all that really matters. What the audience thinks isn't relevant.

Couple of years ago, I was discussing cartoons with a store owner I know, and I mentioned that I had worked on Yvon of the Yukon. As I said that, a lady came out from behind some of the racks in the store and proceeded to rant and berate me for working on this "insulting and horrible" cartoon. She just wouldn't let up.
I let her go at it, let hre rant until she was finished and then calmly told her that it was just a job I was hired to do, and that her reaction was all out of proportion to what the thing was, and what my involvement in it was. That and if she didn't like it, or did not like the work done on it, there was NOTHING stopping her from changing the channel and watching something else.

That is the gist of it.
The folks that make this stuff are NOT beholden to the audience in ANY WAY. Believing that they are is a bizarre myth that a lot of fans and audiences seem to perpetuate. The actors do not have to be likeable or even personable off-camera--or even like the show they are on because they are just hired to play a part--and the audience isn't the one signing the cheque.
The only thing Sienna Miller is "guilty" of is having an opinion that fans don't think she should have, but its one she is perfectly entitled to have.

Oh, and I have gone around and trashed multi-million dollar properties--and I'll do it right now. I just finished storyboard work on Speed Racer: the Next Generation. This thing is the biggest piece of monkey dung I have worked on in a long time. Go check it out on Youtube--its there. Its a FLASH animate cartoon, with wretched CGI--this thing is just awful. Reason: it done on the cheap. Yeah.....a 6 million dollar budget for the 26 episode season and its done like utter manure.
Part of the problem is that there's greedy fingers pinching dollars all along the way on this thing--so much so that by the time the money trickles down to the production level, the pay-outs are dismal. They have to get some incompetent hack shop in India to animate this garbage because they cannot (or refuse to afford) anything better.
In a word, this stiff is pap. That is ALL it is. Its nothing special.........its riding the coattails of the movie and cashing in on a brand name.
There is NOTHING about this cartoon that will set the world on fire.
And so much so that some of the investors in the show figured they could play Bollywood mogul--until it came time to actually invest money into the production.

Then they balked.
It was fun playing bigshot, I'm sure..until it came time to put their money where their mouth is

Preproduction on the show was supposed to have been finished 4 months ago--but that came to a screeching halt when these Indian "investors" refused to cough up their obligated cash injections to keep the production going. I was unpaid for 4 months and withheld my last few storyboards until I got assurances from the production that I would be paid--and every other storyboard artists on the project did the same.
Apparently its all been sorted out and production has resumed as we speak.

Now, that might sound like a bitter rant, it might sound inprofessional........but its not. THAT is business as usual, in one of many variations on a theme that plague the animation business. It happens......not all the time, not even often........but it happens.
Its the reality behind the fantasy of the making of cartoons--something that a LOT of viewers think are just some innocent little things.

Ho, far from it.

Their misperception doesn't hide the fact that crap is crap. Some kids might LOVE Speed Racer the Next Generation. It might ignite the fire in their souls, fuel their imagination......but that is on them. I've shared this snippet to justify the opinion I have of this specific example, and to give insight into WHY such opinions come about.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:29:54 PM by ARROW »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »

:spidey:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:39:34 PM by Realboss »