JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2011 JoeCon  (Read 15861 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 JoeCon
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
The collectors club has announced their new project:

http://generalsjoes.com/2011/04/02/my-t ... scription/

I'm thinking it will be at least $240-$300 for the 6 month/13 figures

If this keeps up with all the cool Joe stuff coming out I'm going to have to ask for a raise.

Yikes!   I like the idea, but my wallet will have second thoughts...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

They updated the GIJOECON.COM site with pics from the Con...

http://www.gijoecon.com/fl2011/con11virtual.cfm
Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »

My question is:  What if they make figures for one month I don't want?

sell them on eBay for a ridiculous mark-up, of course!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »

That's easy.  You'll have to buy it anyway if you want the 13th.   You could always sell of the ones you don't want.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »

My impressions:
I like the new figures shown, but found it interesting that no new vehicles were shown ( Crimson HISS is just a repaint).

Most intriguing figure: The Data-Viper. For me, this spells it all out. I like it when Hasbro takes some chances with a design, goes a little over the top and does something different. I've read elsewhere a number of voices that dislike the figure.....and it puzzles the heck out of me. I personally don't want more of the same, I want something DIFFERENT, that expands the concept and builds upon things. The Data-Viper is the kind of design scheme that shows what Hasbro designers can do--and I applaud that.

I love the trend of more accessories for the figures--if they can fit them all on the figure-great. If they cannot, no big deal---its all about giving the figure options. With the first couple of waves of POC, I bought doubles of some characters--simply because the added accessories made for compellingly different looks. That and if one is into kit-bashing/swap-bashing new figures, the added bits really help make a all-new character stand out. It helps fuel the imagination, and gets one into interacting with the toys more.
To me THAT pluses the hobby.

But I think this is just a taste of the stuff in the pipeline and SDCC and Fall Toy Fair will reveal more.
I can't wait.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 02:38:48 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"

That's easy.  You'll have to buy it anyway if you want the 13th.   You could always sell of the ones you don't want.

And I sure the 13th fig will be the must have of the lot.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
Most intriguing figure: The Data-Viper. For me, this spells it all out. I like it when Hasbro takes some chances with a design, goes a little over the top and does something different. I've read elsewhere a number of voices that dislike the figure.....and it puzzles the heck out of me. I personally don't want more of the same, I want something DIFFERENT, that expands the concept and builds upon things. The Data-Viper is the kind of design scheme that shows what Hasbro designers can do--and I applaud that.
I agree, they should be doing new things. I'm not sure if I like the data-viper, just because I don't get what all his stuff is. If it's got some logical or cool purpose, then I'm probably sold on him. I think he looks kinda cool. But they do need to continue with anniversary style figures like Lifeline and Sci-Fi and getting to guys like Kwinn. I've been waiting almost 30 years for that figure!

So overall it looks like a nice mix. Some new modernized figures, some renegades and some anniversary.

I love the trend of more accessories for the figures--if they can fit them all on the figure-great. If they cannot, no big deal---its all about giving the figure options. With the first couple of waves of POC, I bought doubles of some characters--simply because the added accessories made for compellingly different looks. That and if one is into kit-bashing/swap-bashing new figures, the added bits really help make a all-new character stand out. It helps fuel the imagination, and gets one into interacting with the toys more.
The gear is one of the best things in this line. I've never understood the logic of needing all of it to fit on a figure at once. I don't wear everything from my closet at once! So, yeah, more gear, more options, more fun!! Kwinn comes with some awsome gear! It all comes back to Kwinn for me. :)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I agree, they should be doing new things. I'm not sure if I like the data-viper, just because I don't get what all his stuff is. If it's got some logical or cool purpose, then I'm probably sold on him. I think he looks kinda cool. But they do need to continue with anniversary style figures like Lifeline and Sci-Fi and getting to guys like Kwinn. I've been waiting almost 30 years for that figure!

So overall it looks like a nice mix. Some new modernized figures, some renegades and some anniversary.

The gear is one of the best things in this line. I've never understood the logic of needing all of it to fit on a figure at once. I don't wear everything from my closet at once! So, yeah, more gear, more options, more fun!! Kwinn comes with some awsome gear! It all comes back to Kwinn for me. :)

Kwinn was produced in 2004

http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/trackerkwinn.shtml
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:10:58 PM by Realboss »

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:15:00 PM by turner »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Sorry to hear the crap you went through Turner.  It was just another typical cash grab for MC as far as I'm concerned.  They tout about making it fair for collectors to get the exclusives and then turn around and intentionally introduce the golden ticket for exclusive buying rights where you can get up to three times the amount of exclusives before anyone else has a chance.  Of coarse people are going to load up on figures to sell when they just spent $500 for the privilege.  I guarantee in 95% of the cases they weren't buying them for their friends and MC knew full well this would happen.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

That sucks, Turner!  I hope you still had a good time otherwise?  If the only good thing about the JoeCon is the exclusives, I will pass and only go to the CJC, where the Con Set is Great, but it not the only thing there to see and do...
Lurking

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »

Quote from: "turner"
Well guys, I made it to the con and got in line for general admission yesterday an hour and a half early.  Got inside and every single exclusive was sold out.  The vendors and the scalpers had bought them up with their golden ticket and then turned right around and sold them at the same con for twice the price.  And worse, I only saw one paradrop viper and about two of everything else.  Saw one con set for 449, the paradrop for 45, two two packs for 90 each, and the stinger and moccasin for crazy money, and a few dial tones for 200.  My first experience with master collector has not been a positive one.  What kind of bull is it to lower the number of con sets and start that golden ticket rip off so that somebody has to take off five days of their life just to have the privilege of paying a ridiculous price for bagged figures?

Welcome to the MC business model.  It rewards people willing to shellout the big bucks early.  However to be fair every big con has the same dealer problem.  Look at SDCC, they have the same problem every year with dealers and lines for exclusives.

I'm not trying argue with you Turner, I enjoyed talking with you in line last year at the CJC, but to be fair again MC has been using this model for 10 years so no one should be surprised by the results anymore.  Yes you can be upset, but you shouldn't be surprised.