JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2011 JoeCon  (Read 15845 times)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 JoeCon
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

It's a shame they don't use the CJC model and only allow a limited number of exclusives for dealers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »

Sounds like a raw deal. Sorry to hear your experience isn't what you'd hoped, Turner.

As for their business model...just because it has a precedent, doesn't mean it's a good strategy.
Sounds like they disappointed a customer and this thread has turned off a lot of others, I'm sure...
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "turner"
Well guys, I made it to the con and got in line for general admission yesterday an hour and a half early.  Got inside and every single exclusive was sold out.  The vendors and the scalpers had bought them up with their golden ticket and then turned right around and sold them at the same con for twice the price.  And worse, I only saw one paradrop viper and about two of everything else.  Saw one con set for 449, the paradrop for 45, two two packs for 90 each, and the stinger and moccasin for crazy money, and a few dial tones for 200.  My first experience with master collector has not been a positive one.  What kind of bull is it to lower the number of con sets and start that golden ticket rip off so that somebody has to take off five days of their life just to have the privilege of paying a ridiculous price for bagged figures?

According to them, it's "our" collectors club.  It has and continues to be a load of bullshit.  What you went through is a prime example.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »

Let me add that with you guys I felt like I was part of the "family" and everybody was nice to us, thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:16:13 PM by turner »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »

This just shows the difference between running a business and putting on a convention for the love of the hobby.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

Really to be far they should withhold a large percentage of the souvenirs for when the convention officially starts on Friday or not even offer early purchases.   It's suppose to be a club not a for profit business.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »

Imagine if the CJC was 2-3 days... I wonder if we would have the same problems?  
Lurking

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
Kwinn was produced in 2004
http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/trackerkwinn.shtml
Yup, and I have 2 of them. But this is the first one in his summer duds. :) It's still pretty remarkable how few figures he's gotten over the years. A winter one would be nice in the 25th style of figure as well.

As for the Con and the exclusives (can't speak to the con itself, never been to the US one), it's a tough situation. I actually hate exclusives because of these situations. I mean, really, what's the point of producing something in such low numbers that 99% of collectors will never have the figure, or they'll have to pay through the nose for it. Yes, I realize this statement isn't really in favour of the CanJoeCon stuff either, but it's just my personal opinion on exclusives, nothing against the fine folks who run the Cons. I suspect that no matter what anyone who organizes a con does, short of really mass producing the items, there will be a scalper problem. It happens with the CanJoeCon stuff too, it's just not as blatent and immidiate as seeing the items scalped in the room 10 minutes later. And if the organizers up production numbers too much, then they're stuck with inventory and perhaps a loss. It's gotta be a tough balance, but I do think they could up production a fair bit without that happening.

My biggest problem is if the crazy exclusives are part of a set that I collect at retail and then I will not be able to complete my set for a reasonable price.
That Dial Tone figure bugs me, because it probably means Hasbro won't make a 25th style dial tone for at least a long time. Which is a bummer. Yes I could join the club and get him, but I see no real benefit from the club beyond that exclusive, so I'd essentially be paying $50 or whatever for one figure. But oh well, c'est la vie.
To end this post on a high note:

[font=Verdana:2uzfegrj]Yay Kwinn![/font:2uzfegrj]

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »

I've got a billion things to say on many different topics but my time is short.

All in all, I understand why everything was done the way it was. I use to be a loyal fan of the MC club and became jadded to them after a while but at the end of the day I see thier point of view on most things.

One thing I didn't like was I brought down my Natalie Pool from last years set that had 2 right thighs on her. I tried to exchange her and they said "No, we are only doing that for the current year but try at the Lets make a Deal table and you might find one".

So I went to that table. I was working with Karmakura from Joe Customs (Super nice guy, 100% had my back). I didn't see her and we were front row center. I do a list later when I get back of what I did score (8 12' figure, 25 random pieces of clothing, 3 heads, some boots and odd thing, all new = $60  ;D ;D ;D :timbits:)

Anyhow, about 3:00 same day I was looking at a box of 1 billion purple Hydrofoil engine covers and some walks out from that back and throws 2 Natalie figures in the box in front of me. "Uhhhh, I want to exchange a defective figure of her from last year and I was told it was done for the current year only. Sooo, I'll give you a buck for that one with the broken arm?"

Sold.

Got my figure fixed and now how some rare custom fodder pieces.

Back to the con itself.

Mickey Mouse Cobra Commander is awesome. Pics don't do him justice. Way better then Dial Tone IMO.

The vehicles are sold wins. They even explained the number stamp on the topm of the Stingers. Something about BA standing for "Black Adam" and the numbers are from an old cop show that is a call for back up.

New figures like Airtight are as good as Lowlight when it comes to detail.

Heck, I got to watch the main sculpter sculpt at the show. He was behind a clear cube and just talked to me while working. Sort of wish I had my tape recored or even Black Berry with me. That would have made for a great Joe Canuck article.

The Crimson Hiss looked good. I like my Chrome one better.

I kept yelling "Chrome it" at both Hasbro and MC round tables.

MC group as a new project in the works. It's not set in stone yet but this is what they want to do starting THIS summer. They want to do something like the Marty group where you get 2 figures mailed to you every month for six months. They will be cared just like Dial Tone are are trying to keep the price the same area (so probabaly $50 a month plus shipping). If you joing from the start then at the end of 6 months there will be a bonus 13th figure. Only way to get #13 is if you stay with them from the start. They are being smart about it and going after cancelled figures from Hasbro like Quarrel and the white Nano Bat with clear green arms. Those would be the first two figures and they showed us the mock ups. They looked great.

I'm sure there is more but I gotta go for now.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

Skystriker retailing at 29.99 surprised me, I was thinking it would be way higher considering the roc prices (rhino, night raven, even the mid sized vehicles were 25).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:53:01 AM by turner »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
Quote from: "Realboss"
My question is:  What if they make figures for one month I don't want?

sell them on eBay for a ridiculous mark-up, of course!

The problem with selling them is if they aren't priced reasonably they may not sell.  Considering it would cost $25 a figure plus $21 for shipping even split if the two figures do ship together so $10 and hoping there isn't any customs tax.  After packaging and fees $40 would be the cheapest for one figure not including shipping to the buyer.

I guess it all depends if I'm willing to pay $35 or more for one figure myself.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Imagine if the CJC was 2-3 days... I wonder if we would have the same problems?  

It's a safe bet that the CJC will never be 2 full days or more