JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures  (Read 19696 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-02-01/GI-Joe-Retaliation-movie-toys/52918456/1

Much better then the first movie. I could army build those Cobra troopers and even the Jo troopers.

The only lemon of the group is Zartan.

Also, it looks like that cool Storm Shadow everyone's being talking about has been re-used as the red ninja. The movie Storm Shadow is very cool.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »

Road Block doesn't really look much like classic. It would have been easy for them to throw on the camo sleeveless shirt but still, not a bad looking figure. I imagine well see a bunch of versions of Roadblock but I like the body on this one. It had great custom potential. 

Cobra Commander looks way better then the first movie figure. I can easily add this version next to my other Cobra Commander figures. It's like classic Cobra Commander and th armour Cobra Commander mixed together.

I really like the Cobra Trooper. Sure he's got that baby blue look going but the mold itself looks really good and I hope to see several straight re-paints of this guy. Give me a desert version of him and I'd be in heaven. I'm sure we'll see him in black but honestly I'm getting sick of seeing action figures in heavy black in my collection. between all the Snake Eyes figures, the first Joe movie and all my customs that I rit dyed black because it's so easy to do, I'm done with black for now. Back to this figure, I really dig his gear.

The Duke figure isn't really bad. I'll pick a few of this figure and ditch the head for custom fodder. The outfit has me wondering about the movie. I don't recall him looking like this in the trailer so it gives me some hope that he is still alive, and not dead like some people have speculated since he's only in the start of the trailer. Hopefully the commercial during the Super Bowl will give us a bit more insight to Duke. I think he probably just got captured or is in a coma (like the cartoon movie) and comes back for a huge fight scene at the end of the movie.

Just like the Cobra Trooper, I really dig this G.I. Joe trooper and want to see more of him. he gear looks great, the body looks like a good build and will probably make great custom fodder.

The red ninja is all sorts of bad ass. I want 5 of him. No customizing required. All around I love it.

Speaking of Ninjas, Storm Shadow looks really nice. I like the skirt look on him. Reminds me of assassins creed a bit. It's funny but I keep thinking "why do I need another Storm Shadow" but once again, this one I need.

On the other hand, I don't think I really need any more Snake Eyes figures. I don't think they can top what they've done already. This one I'll probably get but I could pass on it as well. As a figure by itself it doesn't suck, but like I already said, enough with the black outfits already. It's getting boring. At this point I think I would welcome "desert strike Snake Eyes" or something like that over another bklack outfit.

Zartan doesn't look finished. His mid section looks like it needs something on it. His weapons look weak and the body construction just doesn't fit what Zartan is suppose to be. That is not a biker or a master of disguise. That looks more like a bad power rangers villain

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

I think they are looking really good. have in hands will be a better way to tell, i also have to say i like that joe trooper!
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »

It's funny but I look at Roadblock and want to take the Rock head off and put a Build and Brawl Sgt Slaughter head on it. The funny part is that they are both wrestlers.  ;)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

Is it really a skirt on stormy or isn't he just wearing puffy pants?
Great stuff all around. if this is the first wave, then I wouldn't mind seeing theses figures flooding the pegs.
I guess my red ninja clans will have more recruits this summer. Great use of the recent SS body.
If they make a black repaint of that mold I'll scream like a little girl.
Say no to AFA.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

I am in for ALL of these. Great start to what is looking to be a very good toy year.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »

Sets my mind at ease.  Makes me want to open the Joe stuff I've gotten over the past several months.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:23 PM »

How long until they start showing up on auction sites?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »

Man, those all suck!!!

OK, ok, kidding!!!

As others have said, these look really good. 

Roadblock - Great looking figure, even though the fatigues/black tank have been done before.  Also pretty good likeness of the Rock.  I thought they weren't going with actor likenesses?

Cobra Commander - Love the helmet, and the overall figure, but I would like a closer look at the body.  Something just seems not quite fitting to me.

Cobra Trooper - Another trooper to add to the ranks.  Great look overall, but again something just looks off but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Duke - ??  Outfit, face and weapon all seem more 2000 era, than Retaliation to me.  Still the overall wave makes me give it the benefit of the doubt.

G.I. Joe Trooper - NICE!!  Another "green shirt".  Although at first glance I thought "Hey when did Master Chief join GI Joe?"  I want a better look at whatever it is he has attached to his backpack.

Red Ninja - Nice, nice, nice!  Great use of the recent Renegades SS.

Storm Shadow - Another good looking SS.  Two in a row Hasbro.  Be careful, otherwise we might not put up with "Mountain SS" or "Diner SS"  ;D

Snake Eyes - Basically repeating everything Morgardee said.

Zartan - Love the figure, but don't get if this is supposed to be a movie figure, or a "comic/cartoon" figure like they do with the Marvel movies.

Ok, c'mon Toyfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I really can't wait for this years.  However, let's get some more leaked pics, but this time VEHICLES!!!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »

they look great.  I really like CC and the new greenshirt.  Cobra Trooper is only so so to me, red ninjas and storm shadow look awesome.  Now show us Jinx and Lady Jaye!
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »

Now this is the kind of fresh awesome stuff that would make me want to celebrate joe over again. Can' wait to see what Lady Jaye, Flint and Joseph Colton will look like  :D .
2 + 2 = 22

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »

I've been really impressed with the first showing of figures.

I was thinking it about it this morning and I think these may be THE figures of the summer.

Back in 2009 when ROC was released, Transformers 2 came out at the same time.  Kids were flocking to the new releases of Bumblebee and Op Prime. 

This summer our big movies are Dark Knight Returns, Star Wars 3D, Avengers and G.I. Joe. 
-  I've seen pictures of the Dark Knight figures and I think they'll sit on the shelf like the Green Lantern figures (come on Mattel, Hasbro is leaving you in their dust). 
-  There's new Star Wars figures coming out, but they just came out with all those figures last fall, now they have new packaging.  I think they'll sit on the shelf as well.
-  The Avengers figures are coming out but I don't think they'll sell well because Thor is still warming pegs on your local toy aisle.  Heck... in some places Iron Man 2 is still available.  I can't see people jumping at the bit to buy stuff new stuff, when they didn't buy the old stuff.

The new Retaliation figures are the only thing that is going to be different on the shelf.  Most new toys coming out, were just released last year and I think kids (and collector's) are going to notice and go for the Joe.

I have even been able to convince some of my "non-Joe" friends to start buying G.I. Joe figures.  My friend got hooked on the G.I. Joe Renegades figures and now he is picking up his favourite 30th anniversary ones.  I know for sure he will be picking up all the Retaliation figures as well.

I can't wait to see some pics of the vehicles.