JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures  (Read 19694 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »

TNI has hi-rez pics up of everything shown to date.

There's some disappointments: notably the vehicle drivers and their articulation.

They appear to have very little. If the vehicle figures accurately reflect the final production design, they will be let-downs.

On the VEHICLE drivers:
-Std. Ball/socket head
-Pin shoulders.
-NO elbow joints.
-NO wrist joints
-Possible pin waist joint.
-T-crotch hips.
-NO knee joints.
-Possible ankle joints.

That's it.
Note: the motorcycle drivers might have more, because they need to fit on the bikes, but the other vehicle drivers have what is described above.
This is a matter that someone attending ToyFair should press home with Hasbro--asking if indeed these are the POAs for the vehicle drivers. Nothing can be done about adding POAs at this point.....these toys are in factory and being made now for delivery dates when the movie comes out. Its too late to add to them. But at least we can know what is going to be the case with them beforehand.

For me, the single figures are what I'll be going for. The vehicle are all passes, as almost all the ROC vehicles were--and even those I bought on discount.
Mind you, there's still 14 more items left to be revealed..........so, maybe something left will have some sparkle for me.
I was looking forward to a couple of the vehicles until you pointed out the articulation.  If Hasbro farming out the vehicles drivers to Mattel? 
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

The 14 more are probably standard release, but I don't think we will see any store exclusives until Toyfair.  That is when we should see some stuff not directly from the movie.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

TNI has hi-rez pics up of everything shown to date.

There's some disappointments: notably the vehicle drivers and their articulation.

They appear to have very little. If the vehicle figures accurately reflect the final production design, they will be let-downs.

On the VEHICLE drivers:
-Std. Ball/socket head
-Pin shoulders.
-NO elbow joints.
-NO wrist joints
-Possible pin waist joint.
-T-crotch hips.
-NO knee joints.
-Possible ankle joints.

That's it.
Note: the motorcycle drivers might have more, because they need to fit on the bikes, but the other vehicle drivers have what is described above.
This is a matter that someone attending ToyFair should press home with Hasbro--asking if indeed these are the POAs for the vehicle drivers. Nothing can be done about adding POAs at this point.....these toys are in factory and being made now for delivery dates when the movie comes out. Its too late to add to them. But at least we can know what is going to be the case with them beforehand.

For me, the single figures are what I'll be going for. The vehicle are all passes, as almost all the ROC vehicles were--and even those I bought on discount.
Mind you, there's still 14 more items left to be revealed..........so, maybe something left will have some sparkle for me.
I was looking forward to a couple of the vehicles until you pointed out the articulation.  If Hasbro farming out the vehicles drivers to Mattel?

The driver with the  new VAMP would be an awesome figure---IF he had added articulation. He's got a detailed modern-design that would be ideal for a stand-alone figure.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »

The 14 more are probably standard release, but I don't think we will see any store exclusives until Toyfair.  That is when we should see some stuff not directly from the movie.
Toyfair is next week, that is why we are seeing what we are seeing right now. Previews always start around this time.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »

A nice looking figure without any joints.  WTF Hasbro.  This isn't Mattel. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

I don't even know where to start.

I will buy the figures. I will buy the VAMP. I will buy the Hiss Tanks (if I can get the SDCC for retail).

The rest I will pass on until I see it on clearance sale and I usually buy everything.

Let me try to intimate the Rock for a moment here: "FINALLY, HASBRO HAS BROUGHT BACK G.I.JOE TO MAIN STREAM ATTENTION". And they are following up the toy line (you know, the thing it's based on) and showing up with G.I.Joe Extreme?

I agree with Pete and would give him a timbit right now if I wasn't out of 'em. WTF Hasbro.

Seriously, 5 points of articulation on vehicle drivers, NOW? When people are going to be looking at you more now then they have since the mid 80's? I don't get it.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »

the idea i saw advanced on Serpentor's Lair was that these a pre-production protos and the actual toys may well have more articulation.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

Seriously, 5 points of articulation on vehicle drivers, NOW? When people are going to be looking at you more now then they have since the mid 80's? I don't get it.

To be fair, the articulation schemes on the vehicle driver figures were locked in some time ago--well before the trailers were released and the excitement ignited for this movie.
Hasbro had to make a judgement call and decide how to play this toy line before they had any clue as to how this film would be initially received, so they clearly decided to "play it safe" by spending less. It cannot be changed at this point in time, I think......and there's marketing data for other well-received movie toy-lines that did soft business ( Captain America, Thor) that would advise caution.

Its puzzling/confusing to me why they are going with new-sculpts, but less POAs for the vehicle drivers. If costs are a concern here, then why not Frankenstein the new driver characters out of older tooling and just add new heads?? They'd keep the POAs that make the figures appealing, give us new characters with minimal parts and save $$$ in the process. IF.........IF the POAs are the new routine for drivers, then are they serious about re-using these new tools for figures again down the road--because that will make their bigger price-point items (the vehicles) a lot LESS appealing.
And I don't get why POC was loaded with POAs out the yin yang, and suddenly Retaliation product takes considerable hits on the POAs.
Retaliation is going to see wider exposure regardless, than POC did--this was a given even before the trailers came out, so why ratchet articulation down?

On the vehicles.......its happening again, really. ROC was marketed very timidly with regards to vehicles. We are getting the same thing this time around too, but even more so. Most of the vehicles have been seen before, and most of those seen one form in the last 2 years besides.
At least there's no Mole-pods this time......
Sure, they are modding old tooling again---which is fine, and they are using GOOD items to base these new toys off of...........I'm okay with that. But the old arguments made back with ROC resurface--there's no guts to this toy line, there's no back-bone.
Despite some really nice single-pack figures the whole Retaliation line is half-assed.

Maybe Wave 2 or later stuff will pick up the slack.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:32:16 PM by ARROW »

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »

If they are reusing vehicle molds and going for a more realistic look for it, then why not pull out the Vamp (v1) again. Sure it's been used a lot but changing the colours and giving us a new weapon attachment on the back goes a long way. Maybe well see a Walmart or Target exclusive with that.

Hopefully Joe 2 will be a decent hit and they will be able to push a lot of toys for the movie release AND another big push when the DVD comes out. I suspect the DVD will be out for November, giving Hasbro another wave to push in time for Christmas 2012.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »

If they are reusing vehicle molds and going for a more realistic look for it, then why not pull out the Vamp (v1) again. Sure it's been used a lot but changing the colours and giving us a new weapon attachment on the back goes a long way. Maybe well see a Walmart or Target exclusive with that.

Hopefully Joe 2 will be a decent hit and they will be able to push a lot of toys for the movie release AND another big push when the DVD comes out. I suspect the DVD will be out for November, giving Hasbro another wave to push in time for Christmas 2012.

IMO, the new VAMP mold is a good one. Its a welcome re-hash, I feel. The Awestriker is very stale though.
I would have thought that the brand would have re-purposed some of the Captain America vehicles as GIJOE vehicles, because, by golly, they'd be perfect for Joes. I do think the vehicle selection this time around is stronger, but vehicles used to be the thrust of what GIJOE was--and that has turned around to the figures being the main thing.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »

I like the VAMP and the Ghost Hawk II.  I would agree the AWE is stale - but it has been stale for quite a while.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

Lots of new pics!

http://www.gijoeclub.com/toyfair12/toyfair12preview.cfm

I really want the John MaClane, Rock and NYCC exclusive Lady Jaye.  The grey ninja is great too.  The others are kinda meh.

daaaamn I want that Shockwave Hiss, that mini Soundwave is just too cool.

and there WILL be a retail release of Jinx.  And it will be an EASY repaint to a red clad Jinx custom for all
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"