JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures  (Read 19915 times)

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: First look at G.I. Joe Retaliation figures
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »

Guys, not pissed off with anyone at all as I respect your different point of views. But by saying that we'd pick up the figures we like (or even don't like) when they do end up on clearance, aren't we talking as if the toyline was doomed even before the general public had a chance to judge for themselves?
My comment on waiting for clearance is more a comment on the inevitability of most movie toy lines ending up on clearance these days. That, and my level of interest in collecting is reflected in the amount I'm willing to pay right now. I just don't want to spend $10 on GI Joe figures right now. The only thing that gets me to change that are figures like the recent lifeline, sci-fi etc. and some of the PoC figures that I never thought I'd buy, but were amazing and sucked me in. Not much here is going to do that from these pictures.

From what I understand hasbro will be scaling back for this movie, so i don't actually expect nearly the glut we had before. Chances are I will likely have to pay at least sale price for a couple figures if they hook me when i see them in person.

I do hope the movie is good, does well, and the toy line does well, as that usually means more support for the parts of the line that interest me. That's why i like the success of the clone wars, even if i find the show to be of little interest to me. It helps keep star wars as a viable product at retail. A successful joe movie means more chances for figures like Kwinn getting released. :)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »

Darth, I know you're cool and I eccho your enthusiasm, but what I said is a response to not only your comment but the fact that I find it represents in general what alot of people here and outside the boards have expressed, in most cases, out of genuine disappointment or disillusion with the Joe franchise.

It still doesn't change the fact that there are individuals out there that wish all the worst to their favorite toyline just to satisfy their individualistic interests. And this is not only true with Gi joe but with everything. It's like wishing to find today a 50$ bill on the streets, but forgetting all at the same time that in order for that to happen, someone must lose it in order to suit that other person's happiness. Okay, that may be too drastic of an example, but it follows the same principle, just not on the same scale and context.
2 + 2 = 22

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »

Guys, not pissed off with anyone at all as I respect your different point of views. But by saying that we'd pick up the figures we like (or even don't like) when they do end up on clearance, aren't we talking as if the toyline was doomed even before the general public had a chance to judge for themselves? I'm not talking about wishful thinking here, but maybe, maybe we should save the "victory" dance until and if it actually happens? Don't want to disappoint most of you, but I'm actually hoping that not much will end up on clearance, and that kids and parents will go crazy for the Rock and want to follow his adventures as Roadblock, in plastic form or another. I'm also hoping that the Bruce Willis / Die Hard fan base will be looking for their part of the action. I'm also hoping that fans of martial arts movies will find a common point of interest with the director's take on the Ninja theme. I'm also hoping that the fans of the cancelled Wonderwoman TV pilot will be looking forward to see a Lady Jaye in action.

And for those of you who don't know, I don't collect modern era figures but I did pick up most of the first ROC figures when they first arrived in stores mainly because I actually liked the movie and felt that the movie was actually a celebration in itself. Anyways, just my 2 cents and I just wanted to deliver some positivity and the counterweight to some of the comments I'm reading here.
Well said LatinJoe!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »

I never wait for clearance both because it does the hobby no good and because I've missed out on too many good things when I decided to wait for clearance in the past.

That being said I have no problem with loading up on clearance Joes when they do come along.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

Of course with what i just said being said, there's not a whole lot of this movie line coming out that I see myself jumping at, so clearance may indeed be one thing that drives my purchasing on this line.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »

I am glad I gave up being figure completest a few years ago.  Most of this product does nothing for me.  The figure I really want is a SDCC exclusive.  Go figure.   

Go Leafs Go - just end '67

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »

On a side note, I am very much looking forward to the 5POA drivers, as these will go down with me as a tribute to Action Force. If any of you's don't want' em, then you now know one guy who does  ;)
2 + 2 = 22

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

If people don't like them, they can also just put them up on the freebie table next convention.  Hopefully make some kids (and LJoe) happy!
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »

If people don't like them, they can also just put them up on the freebie table next convention.  Hopefully make some kids (and LJoe) happy!

Thanks Neo: +1 Timbit for thinking of me (when I get new Timbits to give away that is, I think I'm out of them)!
2 + 2 = 22

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »

Darth, I know you're cool and I eccho your enthusiasm, but what I said is a response to not only your comment but the fact that I find it represents in general what alot of people here and outside the boards have expressed, in most cases, out of genuine disappointment or disillusion with the Joe franchise.
Yeah, there's a lot of negativity in general in the online communities for pretty much any line. I follow fairly closely GI Joe, Masters of the Universe and Star Wars (well, SW very closely), and it amazes me how strongly people react to things and how much hate there can be. Nothing wrong with expressing disappintment and frustration (I hate exclusives afterall!!), but it has to be done within reason and preferably constructively. So yeah, hoping a line you supposedly love fails is counter-productive.

I never wait for clearance both because it does the hobby no good and because I've missed out on too many good things when I decided to wait for clearance in the past.
That being said I have no problem with loading up on clearance Joes when they do come along.
Good points. If you like it, buy it when you see it (assuming it's within your budget)! Waiting for clearance can bite you. But I do vote with my wallet. If I really like something I buy it on the spot and hope I can get my receipt adjusted during a sale. But if I'm luke warm, I'll wait. Or I'll skip it if I don't like it. I don't believe in blindly supporting the line, but yeah, if you like it, buy it!

I am glad I gave up being figure completest a few years ago.  Most of this product does nothing for me.  The figure I really want is a SDCC exclusive.  Go figure.
Yup, giving up the completist mentality (illness ;) ) is quite liberating! I did the same a few years back with star wars, and I now enjoy everything I buy and don't fret over stuff I don't like! My wallet likes me more. :)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »

I think I might need to follow suit on that if I buy them locally. If I buy cases from Hal then I guess I'm still being a completest. The SDCC stuff I'm sure I'll get a red Jinx at least. Not sure if I'll have any luck getting the white one.

I sort of want that funskool colour BAT. It's just so goofy it's cool.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

I sort of want that funskool colour BAT. It's just so goofy it's cool.

+1 for giving the goofy looking BAT some great love  :)
2 + 2 = 22