JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Would you ever buy a broken crotch Joe?  (Read 5018 times)

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Would you ever buy a broken crotch Joe?
« on: April 18, 2004, 01:05:50 PM »

This is something I have been seeing alot of lately. People advertise broken Joes...for sale or trade!!

I myself would never buy one but this must happen alot because I see it so often?and I am talking about the big guns?so 30+ dollar figures?not the regular Joes.

As an example I have seen countless UK Tiger Force Outbacks with a broken crotch!!
This figure is worth about 50 U.S. and is everywhere, so would you buy a broken crotch one for say 20 and then hunt down the crotch????

No offence to anyone who has one and is trying to trade it I am just wondering?did they buy it like that, did it come in a lot, did they have it from their childhood and since have upgraded?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 01:58:52 PM »

Well, being that my $2.00 bin is 'literally' famous worldwide, yes... I'd buy a fig with a broken crotch - and toss it in there.
Some folks may have a mint figure - missing thumbs - so the crotch is no biggie to them.....

Customs?
Replacement parts?

Who knows why folks by broken or incomplete items.
I know Ed has a bunch of incomplete and broken guys right now - and he's having a 'semi-tough' time completing them all...

It's that 'hunt' that makes you enjoy the hobby...... so who knows!?
Mike

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 02:13:26 PM »

For sure. I completed a Snake-Eyes v2 for $10 through two broken items auctions. One was a mix of Mainframe and Snake-Eyes parts that was actually kinda cool. Out-on-the-town Snakes.

There are some figures that it isn't worth it, like when it is known for broken crotches. But otherwise, it's a cheap and easy way to get harder-to-find figs.
Updated!

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 02:17:17 PM »

Well I have done this as well, there is nothing like finding a figure at the flea market for 25 cents that has a part you need...that has happened plenty of times for me.

But what about buying a figure for 20 to 30 bucks and its broken, and the mint examples sell for say 50...I have seen that...just plan weird if you ask me...lol...!!!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 02:27:04 PM »

Quote from: ""Spillspleen""
But what about buying a figure for 20 to 30 bucks and its broken, and the mint examples sell for say 50...I have seen that...just plan weird if you ask me...lol...!!!

I've done this - Seriously!
I paid $22.00 U.S. for an auction with Firefly missing his crotch.
I had one that needed a thumb, plus I had all the accessories.

For me it was a win-win.
Mike

SoundEffect

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/msfm/
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »

I have done so in the past, but I prefer unbroken figures. I'll buy a figure at a higher price even if the o-ring is missing but the parts are in good shape.

I'd rather get a broken figure or someone I've been trying with no luck to track down than not getting it at all. Then your mission is to find an unbroken one, but at least the hunt isn't as stressful because you already have one in the collection.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 07:14:03 PM »

I only get busted figures to upgrade figures I have in my collection.  I did this today at the Toronto toy show by getting a Cobra Ferret and hence I have no more figures to upgrade in terms of busted parts (minus a couple of army builders but I have enough unbroken ones).

But I only buy busted figures if they are cheap.  However, if it's a ARAH figure I need, I will only buy it unbroken. However this varies with foreign figures.  If the foreign figure is fairly common, I will not buy a busted one.  If the figure is rare or HTF, I will buy a busted figure.  I have bought busted foreign figures (not many) hoping to find another busted figure to swap parts down the road.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Techno Viper T-17

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 10:23:31 PM »

I used tobuy busted figures to add to my collection, but at the time there was no Ebay or anything like that available (I still don't use it). Of another reason is that finding figures at all in my area is pretty rare.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 09:01:59 AM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
I did this today at the Toronto toy show by getting a Cobra Ferret and hence I have no more figures to upgrade in terms of busted parts (minus a couple of army builders but I have enough unbroken ones).

So. Did you see the 'JoeCanuck.com' flyers on the table?!
Folks were picking them up - and hits have gone up on the site last night - but no new members (yet).

I left around 11am........ I got there at 8am - picked up a ton of stuff for customers want lists - and finally got to speak to 'someone' - IN PERSON.
:-)
mike

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 10:53:26 AM »

I've only gotten random broken parts in addition from trades. It was great to complete Grunt v1, Duke v1 (twice), and Snowjob v1 through these trades when I started off with only a limb or so for each figure.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 05:22:25 PM »

only when I need to upgrade figures (better insigna, accessories, etc) that I have or if the broken figures is cheap.
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 10:43:58 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
So. Did you see the 'JoeCanuck.com' flyers on the table?!
Folks were picking them up - and hits have gone up on the site last night - but no new members (yet).

I left around 11am........ I got there at 8am - picked up a ton of stuff for customers want lists - and finally got to speak to 'someone' - IN PERSON.
:-)
mike

I never look at the flyer table. Smart move.  

I know who you met as he told me when I paid a visit  to his table.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67