JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Do collectors hate 12" Joes?  (Read 8043 times)

Recon

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://authorianoneill.blogspot.com/
Do collectors hate 12" Joes?
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »

I was on her a while back and there were a few people who trashed the 12" figures of old and new. Do collectors hate the 12" G.I. Joe? If you do, why?

Cheers,
Ian
 :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Do collectors hate 12" Joes?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »

I don't think they do... I know I don't collect 12" figures - but I so think they're incredibly cool... and if not for the 12" figures, we may not of gotten the 3 3/4" figures. :-)

I think this is is looked at as a 3 3/4" type of site : meaning this site is suited to 3 3/4" figures only. Not true, we just haven't had enough 12" figure collectors come to the board and discuss the 12" line yet.  Heck, we have people that love Sigma 6 on here.... and some that like Sgt. Savage. How messed is that? ;-) (kidding).

So if you want to talk 12" joes, go ahead! We don't hate you guys... we just find you odd for playing with dolls. ;-) (kidding again!)

- Mike

Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

Thanks Mike. Not that it worried me or anything. I just see this split where the two types of collectors take sides and it's sad - we're all in the same boat so, why sink it.

Oh, and that Snowbank figure is one of the best Joes in any size I've ever seen.

Cheers,
Ian

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »

I go both ways  ;D which at some point gets hard on the wallet and the storage space.

What I hate is what's Hasbro is doing with the 12" figures today.
I know its more cost effective, but molded shirts wont bring back the 12" format to its former glory.
It looks like Hasbro doesn't care to compete with all the 1/6 collectible figures that are out there so they do basic products that tend to warm the pegs.

I understand that they want to focus on the RAH universe since its rich in characters instead of a lonely WWII soldier or a small team of nameless adventurers which is sad.

I still believe that the Adventure team has a lot of potential.
Say no to AFA.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »

I don't collect them, personally.

Wouldn't say I hate them, though - that would imply a feeling one way or the other.  I'm impartial, to the 12" line.

Reason I don't collect them?  I guess I just don't have the room to display them, and they seem bulkier than the smaller figures.  Plus, it's easier to pass the small figures off as action figures...  the 'footers kind of blur the line between action figure and Barbie, to me  :shifty:

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

Yes, yes I hate them! :)

.... just kidding.  The scale isn't the problem for me, it's the lame figures that Hasbro has been putting out in that line.  I picked up the first wave of movie based figures and they really do nothing for me.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »

Hey Recon.  I personally collect 12" Joes and am stoked about beginning to collect the SideShow 12".  I have the new Adventure Team Joes from Walmart as well as some of the Hall of Fame,  military style Joes and a few BBI and knck offs to boot.  Mind you my primary collection does consist of 3 3/4 figures and I collected S6 figures as well.
 Not everyone is into 12" each to their own but I would love to see a 12" post from time to time.  I also know of a fellow out London way who sets up mock battles with his 12"
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

I've only ever had 3 3/4. This is my gi joe. I know of no-one when I was a kid who had 12" joes. So I really have no connection with them.

Recon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »

I'm not sure why we need to pass anything off as action figures or dolls or whatever you want to call them Canuklehead. Can't we just enjoy what we like to collect?

B has a point. I grew up with the 12" Joe so it has meaning to me where I had nothing to do with 3-3/4" Joe. Even so, I don't take shots at people who collect them or dismiss people for collecting them. It's what they love and who am I to judge.

All that sounds pretty cool RealBoss. Sad part is I'm just thinking of getting involved in collecting. I may be focusing on the 12" but there are certainly some of the smaller guys I'd like to pick up. That Snowbank figure is really cool. Hey, does the guy out in London take photos of those mock battles? I'd like to see them.

Cheers,
Ian

Canuklehead

• View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »

Quote from: "Recon"
I'm not sure why we need to pass anything off as action figures or dolls or whatever you want to call them Canuklehead. Can't we just enjoy what we like to collect?

My post was a little tongue-in-cheek...  I don't actually try to validate my hobbies to people that question them.  I likes what I likes.  I expect other people to be the same...  which is why I prefaced that with my saying I'm impartial to the 12" line. 

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »

I've always collected both scales.

I have over 400 12" figures, from various brands, and a rowing number from the smaller scale ( 25th Ann. and movie) I had hundreds of RAH figures at one time, and several dozen different vehicles.

The 12" scale has a LOT going for it, and the length and breadth of the offerings in that scale trump the 4" scale stuff by a huge margin.
IMO, if you are serious about collectibles, and serious about military themed figures, then the 12" scale stuff is the way to go.

But to be candid, I do not see the split in ranks that people talk about. The 12" on-line circles that I have frequented for over a decade and a bit have seldom, if ever discussed anything negative about the 4" scale.  Aside from stating preferences, there's no slamming of the smaller scale stuff on the forums I know of.

There has been the reverse over the years however, collectors from the smaller scale lambasting the 12" stuff. I chalk it up to either immaturity or felling threatened in some way by the other stuff.

yuena007

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • For Special Services
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:39 AM »

My first GI JOE was the 12' GI JOE Action Sailor back in 1967. I too enjoy both scales 1:6 (12 inch) and the 3 & 3/4 or 4 inch. It is very obvious that both scales have very serious dedicated followers. I too have belonged to both on-line groups and have found that the 1:6 scale collectors have nothing but good comments for all smaller scale GI JOE collectibles, and that it is only recently that small scale collectors are attacking the 1:6 scale collectors.  It is a mystery to me, because like the old TV commercial used to say.... Only GI JOE is GI JOE.   You know what I mean!
Alllen Yuen