JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hasbro Answers our Fall 2009 Questions!  (Read 5251 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Hasbro Answers our Fall 2009 Questions!
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »

Joecanuck Asked:

Q1) Is there any way to let collectors know what upcoming waves have been ordered with trilingual packaging sooner so we don't have to run across the border, ask American friends for favours, or order these toys from online stores as soon as a wave of figures is released in the US?

Hasbro Answered:

A1) On the 3.75? product, Canada is committed to all the waves of the figures
and vehicles for 2009.  Because of the language adaptation process, there
can be a slight lag time behind the U.S. in terms of when it first hits
shelves.

Joecancuk Asked:

Q2) Considering the success and the buzz of the "Cobra Island" 7-packs (along with the fact that a few of the figures from those packs have already been repainted in the ROC line) what are the chances of a once-or-twice a year seven pack (could still be labeled as ROC product) with more classic characters in their classic colors?

Hasbro Answered:

A2) This is something that we can look into for the future.  For 2010 the pack will be Resolute themed because that is what fans have been asking for.

Joecancuk Asked:

Q3) Why has Hasbro mainly focused on offering exclusive items online, instead of bringing back one of Hasbro's earlier mail order ideas: The catalog insert with each product package like they did 20 years ago so that kids and collectors can redeem points for products. It could also be a great way for Hasbro to offer again 25th anniversary items that many collectors have missed out on. But mainly, it's the experience of going to the post office that really matters, mailing away your points and waiting with genuine excitement for the reward to arrive in the mailbox....

Hasbro Answered:

A3) Look for a new exclusive mail away figure in 2010!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
Re: Hasbro Answers our Fall 2009 Questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »

My take on it.

1) So they acknowledge there's an issue, which is good, but their answer sounds like "STFU and wait, hosers!"
2) Good stuff.  Here's hoping I can actually get my hands on that pack without having to get it online or pay too much at a convention/specialty store.
3) Too bad that "Cobra Commander" looks like fail.  ...but if I meet the redemption requirements, I might as well get it, and keep it boxed for later!
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »

The answer to #2 is interesting.
I wonder who'll be in it. Roadblock, Destro and Baroness are no-brainers, but beyond that?
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »

1) I don't think they answered the question directly. Their answer is not something we don't know already unfortunetaly. I wish their answer would've been "Yes, we will communicate tentative Canadian release dates on your online Joe communities" or at least something to look forward like that. But their answer is very diplomatic and doesn't make me believe Hasbro will take the initiave to let us know but to wait....

2) I'm not a big buyer of Resolute but I know a lot of collectors are, and I'm happy that Hasbro is promising this 7pack to them for 2010 if that's what fans really asked for.

3)This question had a "Why" and even a "What" if I remember correctly. They're not really answering the question and they're more like saying "look over there, it's a Dodo bird". Sorry, while the news is very good indeed, I didn't get carried away with the answer as Hasbro could've at least explained why their company stayed away from the mail-away catalog concept ( which is not the same concept or is not limited to offering exclusives by the way ). They're obviously not bringing back the catalog concept. I wish many of you knew what it was like to open up a package and unfold the little paper and find out you could order amongst a few figures or accessory sets you missed out on, but maybe that the Joe fans are not interested in this anymore. Too bad I couldn't hear Hasbro say it if it's really their position.

Question #2 had the best answer in my opinion.
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »

Quote from: "Jay"
I wonder who'll be in it. Roadblock, Destro and Baroness are no-brainers, but beyond that?
Scarlett and Snake-Eyes have their own figures.  And they'd probably through the Commander and Duke in there, too.

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
I wish many of you knew what it was like to open up a package and unfold the little paper and find out you could order amongst a few figures or accessory sets you missed out on, but maybe that the Joe fans are not interested in this anymore.
Well, with the internet and sites like eBay, people don't really need to worry about missing out on stuff [not exactly, but you know what I mean].

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:17:10 AM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Scarlett and Snake-Eyes have their own figures.  And they'd probably through the Commander and Duke in there, too.
Yeah but Snake-Eyes's Resolute figure is already coming out, unmodified, as "City Strike Snake-Eyes".
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:18:11 AM »

Yeah but Snake-Eyes's Resolute figure is already coming out, unmodified, as "City Strike Snake-Eyes".
They can always do something different for the box set, like release him in black instead of in grey-blue! :wink:

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »

Well, with the internet and sites like eBay, people don't really need to worry about missing out on stuff [not exactly, but you know what I mean].

Yeah but it's funny that I still hear people complaining of having to go on Ebay, because when items are not reoffered and they become hard to find, you will wish that you didn't have to turn to Ebay for that figure that will cost you an arm and leg. Then again, there's always fantastic sites like Joecanuck that offer alternatives that will save you limbs and money :wink:.
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »

Yeah but it's funny that I still hear people complaining of having to go on Ebay, because when items are not reoffered and they become hard to find, you will wish that you didn't have to turn to Ebay for that figure that will cost you an arm and leg. Then again, there's always fantastic sites like Joecanuck that offer alternatives that will save you limbs and money :wink:.
I completely agree! [puts holographic Cobra Commander and Zarana on MANTA and makes them surf around desktop]

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

1) I don't think they answered the question directly. Their answer is not something we don't know already unfortunetaly. I wish their answer would've been "Yes, we will communicate tentative Canadian release dates on your online Joe communities" or at least something to look forward like that. But their answer is very diplomatic and doesn't make me believe Hasbro will take the initiave to let us know but to wait....
I think we would have gotten a better answer if the question more specifically asked for a long term program of communication between hasbro canada and joecanuck and/or the general public. I know the question was asking that, but it could have been interpreted more about the immidiate future rather than an ongoing thing. The answer we got results in the same problem we've always had. It answers what we're getting in the immidiate future, but not long term.

2) That's great for those of you who enjoyed resolute, but if it's taking the place of more classic stuff, that pretty much stinks. :(

3) They completely avoided the heart of question and just focussed on the last sentence in the question:
"But mainly, it's the experience of going to the post office that really matters, mailing away your points and waiting with genuine excitement for the reward to arrive in the mailbox...."
Chances are we'll never get those catalogue inserts of old product. Really, the secondary market with the internet makes something like that less viable in this day in age, so no surprise. Even if some things are "rare", values generally drop, so in the long term ebay is your friend.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:15:28 PM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I think we would have gotten a better answer if the question more specifically asked for a long term program of communication between hasbro canada and joecanuck and/or the general public. I know the question was asking that, but it could have been interpreted more about the immidiate future rather than an ongoing thing. The answer we got results in the same problem we've always had. It answers what we're getting in the immidiate future, but not long term.

That was my question. While the idea of a system of communication would have been nice, these questions go to Hasbro USA and I think it's expecting too much for the Canadian market, at least until our GI Joe sales are less niche. Knowing that all the waves for the rest of the year are set to release in Canada is the valuable part of their answer. Now I know I only have to worry about getting the exclusives from the States.

3) They completely avoided the heart of question and just focussed on the last sentence in the question:
"But mainly, it's the experience of going to the post office that really matters, mailing away your points and waiting with genuine excitement for the reward to arrive in the mailbox...."
Chances are we'll never get those catalogue inserts of old product. Really, the secondary market with the internet makes something like that less viable in this day in age, so no surprise. Even if some things are "rare", values generally drop, so in the long term ebay is your friend.

Unfortunately, the heart of the question was "why not ignore a modern convenience that modern kid consumers are growing up with for a nostalgic feeling collectors have?" Hasbro could have honest and said "kids won't find it novel, they'll find it old fashioned, we're sorry the market has evolved so that something you liked is now extinct", or they could have been diplomatic, which they were.
Updated!

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »

Quote from: "Scramble"

That was my question. While the idea of a system of communication would have been nice, these questions go to Hasbro USA and I think it's expecting too much for the Canadian market, at least until our GI Joe sales are less niche. Knowing that all the waves for the rest of the year are set to release in Canada is the valuable part of their answer. Now I know I only have to worry about getting the exclusives from the States.

Well, given that, as I pointed out in the questions thread, Hasbro canada has said they would try and provide regular communications on what's coming to canada for star wars, I thought it would have been good to have that specificaly answered regarding joes. The big glitch, as you've pointed out, being these questions go to hasbro USA and not Canada, and the other being Joe is less mainstream in Canada than Star Wars. So it is probably less likely. And i agree it is valuable info to know stuff is coming in the next few months. It's just that the same question will need to be asked again in a few months. Then again a few months after that, etc.

Quote from: "Scramble"

Unfortunately, the heart of the question was "why not ignore a modern convenience that modern kid consumers are growing up with for a nostalgic feeling collectors have?" Hasbro could have honest and said "kids won't find it novel, they'll find it old fashioned, we're sorry the market has evolved so that something you liked is now extinct", or they could have been diplomatic, which they were.

I dunno, avoiding the question isn't really diplomatic. But I think we essentially agree that they're basically saying it won't happen. They just could have said so. They've said the same regarding other questions in the past and it wasn't undiplomatic.

Anyways, hopefully I'm not sounding like I'm complaining. I appreciate the Q&As and the efforts being put into them. I just like to put in my 2 cents hoping it might help.