JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: ROC variants, is it worth the effort to find? because there are so many to find  (Read 2318 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile

I did not start collecting Joes until I saw the movie in August and thought this would be a perfect hobby for my son and I.  Since my son is only 18 months old, I will have to enjoy this hobby myself until he is old enough to help (that is what I told my wife) ;D  So hense this topic, I never seen so many variants with this line of toys.  This is normal with GI Joes figures?  My Star Wars figures only had 2 or 3 variants so it was easy to find.  But with ROC, I see more variants reported on the Internet all the time.  I understand that some figures have a production change, but so many? 

These are the some variants that are available so far:
Cobra Commander (with tubes on Chest- did any one find this at all?)
Cobra Commander (with holes in Chest)
Cobra Commander (with holes filled in)
Rex the Doctor (White coat)
Rex the Doctor (Black coat)
Snake Eyes Paris Pursuit (Grey Timber)
Snake Eyes Paris Pursuit (Black Timber)
Storm Shadow Arctic Theat (No Mask)
Storm Shadow Arctic Theat (with Mask)
GI Joe Pit Commando (Holding Shield) Not a true variant, once opened
GI Joe Pit Commando (Holding Gun)
Cobra Gun Ship (with Red Helmet)
Cobra Gun Ship (with Black Helmet)

These are the Rumors of possible variants:
Cobra Gun Ship (with Blue Helmet)
Ice Viper (with Black Stripe on Visor)
Baroness Attack on GI Joe Pit (No logo)
Rex the Doctor (no Claws)
And many moreā€¦
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile

Variants mean whatever you want them to mean.
If the numbers of variant is too high and too daunting, then simplify your approach.
Having just ONE of each item would probably mean about as much to your son as one of every possible variation of each item. He will probably not make any distinctions between whether the helmet is red, black or whatever.
Why collect "every version" of something if its not going to mean anything 5 years down the road?
Ultimately, this kind of decision comes down to YOUR wants. If this is how you roll, then go for it. Otherwise, do not sweat it.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile

Like Arrow said; it all depends on whether you want to be a completest or not.  But you've made a good start by listing all of the possible Joes you want or could collect.  I don't count packaging variations because I open my figures and I don't count minimal production run changes or prototypes because so few are released i.e. Cobra Commander with tubes and blue helmet gunship pilot(maybe 20 in existence).  Cost is also a big factor. 

That's the beauty of this hobby you can go all out or pick and choose how in depth you want your collection to be.  It makes finding that diamond in the rough that much more satisfying.

Morgadee shares his collection with his son by separating the more valuable items(exclusives,variants,etc..) with ones his young boy can play with and if they get broken no big deal.  

Good hunting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:36:31 AM by Realboss »
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile

I guess I did not make myself clear with my post, I should have phrased it better.  I was wondering with the ROC line with all its variants if this was normal for GI Joe?  With the up coming POC line later this year, I was wondering if I should expect the same?  I enjoy looking for variants but it is expensive.
Lurking

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile

Yes, this is normal.  It also appears with each new series they include more and more variants.  So be ready!
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile

To paraphrase "Ren and Stimpy"... Happy!, Happy!, Joy!, Joy! I'm glad I have a few months before POC comes out as my wife is already asking me how much I spent on GI Joes, I can only avoid the question for so long.
Lurking