JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What made you chuckle recently?  (Read 3089 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
What made you chuckle recently?
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

So I decided to start this thread after getting a chuckle from a recent "discussion."

The discussion was about the Resolute Flagg mock up.  The funny thing was one guy who was adamant that he wouldn't get one, if ever made, because it would not be to scale with the Skystrikers.  His firm adherence to this just made me laugh.

Oh, it also got me thinking and I decided to look up what a 1/18 aircraft carrier would be in size.

Guess what?  6 feet isn't even close.  To be in scale with 1/18 an aircraft carrier would have to be 60 feet long!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: What made you chuckle recently?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

Guys this is what I have to say about the original Flagg, and guys, please remember that this is just my opinion, and it's not directed towards anyone in particular.

The original Flagg, IMO is bulky, doesn't have enough interior compartments for the amount of plastic this thing covers. I have nothing against the accuracy of the scale. This is a toy in the first place. But what a boring toy it is to me. Give me a Defiant first, and a Terrordrome in second, I'd be the happiest guy in the block. It really comes down to form follows function. So much more could've been done with that extra bulk that the Flagg carries. If the Flagg could at least float on the water then perhaps that it would've justified the bulky haul. But this thing is a rock that swims with the fishes.

I told this to many members: I would rather get a giant ping pong table and paint some track lines on it, and that would be my Flagg's landing platform.

Seriously, I would've bought the Resolute Flagg because it looks like it would've had some great playvalue. Still doesn't have the scale, but that's what it is: a toy. I say to anyone who complains that he can't fit a Skystriker in there: what did you expect from collecting toys? A realistic interpretation of what it's supposed to be? Wake up, it's a toy! It's primary function is to be played with, not to look like how it's supposed to be in real life! What are you doing collecting toys then? Stop the press, get to your local hobby shop, buy yourself a scaled air carrier, and some miniature model planes to go with it, and stop complaining about the obvious  :lol: !
2 + 2 = 22

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »

Wake up, it's a toy! It's primary function is to be played with, not to look like how it's supposed to be in real life! What are you doing collecting toys then? Stop the press, get to your local hobby shop, buy yourself a scaled air carrier, and some miniature model planes to go with it, and stop complaining about the obvious 

I agree.  Sure the original Flagg wasn't a practical toy.  There were some flaws to it's design.  Guess what.... it's the "bleepin" Flagg.  I am lucky that I was able to find one.  I am also lucky to be able to have it on display in my basement, with a Skystriker, Conquest, Mudfighter and Dragonfly on it's deck.  And when the new Skystriker comes out, I will do some shuffling around to get it on the deck too.

There is a lot of wasted space under the deck of the Flagg.  I have mine displayed with the inside facing the room, so I can see the control center.  The other side is against the wall, where I have a mirror so I can see the deck and catwalks.  I have the rest of my naval vehicles on the table that the Flagg sits on.

It was the toy I dreamed about having since I was a kid.  I can understand though, someone's reluctance to get one, just because of the sheer size.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »

Threads on other boards talking about Hasbro never listening- even though they are giving us things we've asked for - Airtight, Kwinn and of course a new Stalker!!

My concerns about the direction (in general) of the line aside, you can't deny there is a team who cares - between sculpts and designs and the characters they give us.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"
Guess what.... it's the "bleepin" Flagg.

And +1  :timbits: ! What other toyline has a toy as cool as the Flagg? None other! Cuz nobody beats GI joe - A Real American Hero! ( Okay, so I might be subconsciously jealous of you guys who already own a Flagg  :lol:...)
2 + 2 = 22

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
What other toyline has a toy as cool as the Flagg?

Masters of the Universe : Eternia Playset.

Having owned 12 Flaggs, and only one Eternia playset, I can honestly say the play value in Eternia is MUCH better than that of the Flagg.... but both take about as long to assemble.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"
Masters of the Universe : Eternia Playset.

Wow!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:25:02 PM by bandonov »
Lurking

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »

From LJ: Give me a Defiant first

I am still jealous of everyone who has the Defiant.  It is still the piece that has eluded me.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »

I am still jealous of everyone who has the Defiant.  It is still the piece that has eluded me.

I'm going to make you stamp your feet and curse the Gods of Fate here: Years ago ( late 1980s), in Burnaby BC, a toy clearance store called Toy Traders had about a dozen or two of the Defiant sets, MIB.............for $75 each. I came close a couple of times to trying to get one.......but couldn't because it wouldn't fit in the car I had access to at the time. These were LARGE boxes.
 I assume they all got bought up, but heard that the store sent a considerable amount of stuff to the dump when it closed.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"

I'm going to make you stamp your feet and curse the Gods of Fate here: Years ago ( late 1980s), in Burnaby BC, a toy clearance store called Toy Traders had about a dozen or two of the Defiant sets, MIB.............for $75 each. I came close a couple of times to trying to get one.......but couldn't because it wouldn't fit in the car I had access to at the time. These were LARGE boxes.
 I assume they all got bought up, but heard that the store sent a considerable amount of stuff to the dump when it closed.

to quote homer, "its just a little dirty its still good"
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

Well my latest chuckle is the doom and gloom that is popping up after the report that Hasbro's profits were down 71%.  It seems like the end of days according to some posts, including a few that predict the end of the Joe line.

It just made me laugh.  Hasbro still made a profit, not a loss, and they have a third Transformers movie line and two Marvel movie lines that should hopefully add to revenues significantly this year.  Just funny how quick some people are to jump to doom and gloom scenarios.