JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Kickstarter.com loves GI Joes...  (Read 12126 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Kickstarter.com loves GI Joes...
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

After Marauderinc.com using Kickstarter.com, now we have board member Falcom (from Yojoe) using it to promote his new Shooter variant:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790108683/gi-joe-arah-figure-commando

See here original thread: http://forums.yojoe.com/customs-fan-creations/88646-project-o-ring-shooter.html

What do you think? Personally, I love these 3!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter.com loves GI Joes...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:10:44 AM »

i wouldn't mind one of all 3, but i bet they're expensive.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »

Cool project. Personally, I'm out of O-ring, prefering modern figures myself, but hopefully O-ring lovers can see this realised.

OB

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »

that looks like a custom torso and head, but the arms and legs look like they could be from the 1983 v1.5 series...

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »

i wouldn't mind one of all 3, but i bet they're expensive.

$10 each.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

Cool project. Personally, I'm out of O-ring, prefering modern figures myself, but hopefully O-ring lovers can see this realised.

OB

I love o-ring... so I'm really happy!!!!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »

that looks like a custom torso and head, but the arms and legs look like they could be from the 1983 v1.5 series...

Everything is original. The fig showed in the pictures will be produced by Falcone no matter what. The Kickstarter is for another variant on the same mold.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »

$10 each?! wow. can you buy some even if you don't contribute to the kickstarter?

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »

$10 each?! wow. can you buy some even if you don't contribute to the kickstarter?

Yes, these 3 are not related to Kickstarter. These 3 will be made no matter what happen with Kickstarter. Kickstarter is for two other variants: 1. generic commando,  2. Arctic ops figure

Since my English is not perfect, I will copy-paste an update of his project:

Quote from: Falcone
I've got two things here.  First is very disheartening news, at least to me.  I am not sure how to deal with it.  First thing, this may be the last time I work with this manufacturer as they cannot follow simple instructions.  They continue to acknowledge directions I give, but then do not do them.  Because of this there are two glaring problems with this figure, after tooling has been completed.

One is the waist piece.  I'm not sure what or why, but they changed it while making the tooling.  It wasn't perfect to begin with but they completely reverted it back into a diaper crotch design.  Aesthetically it doesn't look good, and functionally it will make sitting the figure down difficult. 

The other problem which to me is much more severe is the arms.  I've been assured for a while that the swivel joint would be added to the figure. Now that the tooling is complete, it is still not there.  The figure is now a straight arm figure.  That too me is unacceptable.

This leaves me at somewhat of a cross roads.  I would either have to pay to have the prototype reworked and then repay the tooling cost which I don't have the funds for and then wait another month for it to finish. Or proceed as is with two glaring problems looking at me.  At this point I really do not know how to proceed.

With that said the second thing I want to talk about probably no longer looks attractive.  I put up a one week Kickstarter to test interest in repaints of this figure. The first is a generic commando.  The next I will be doing will be an arctic ops figure.

To clarify, the Kickstarter is for additional repaints of the figure.  The first 3 (Shooter, Joe Trooper, and Amber) will be happening regardless of what happens with Kickstarter.  I'malso only doing 1 week Kickstarters because I do not have much time to work with.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790108683/gi-joe-arah-figure-commando

Here is a picture of the first test shot of the figure from the tooling. You can see the two glaring problems, as well some of the smaller ones which I was expecting to have.  I guess the silver lining is that Shooter was around 4-5 on my to do list.  I elected to not do my more desired figures first so that I could work out the kinks to make the future, more desired, figures perfect.

So, it's a little disappointing about the waist and the straight arms...  :'(

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:06:12 AM »

yeah, i was looking at the YJ thread and saw that news. it is disappointing.

Falcone

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

Thanks to those who have contributed to Kickstarter.  Though I am actually happy that it didn't become funded.  I have to work the kinks out on the figure before I'd be willing to take preorder money.  Once the figure problems are worked out the Kickstarter project will begin again, but will have multiple repaints instead of just one, but the goal will be higher.

As has been pointed out, there will be three different figures produced no matter what.  Shooter, Joe Trooper, and Amber will be released.

Falcone

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »

Since the tooling is now being corrected...

I've put up a Kickstarter for 5 repaints of Shooter.  This does not include Shooter itself or the Joe Trooper and Amber repaints.  If you are interested in those three figure you will have to wait until their release to buy them. 

Each $10 contribution will get you one of the 5 figures pictured in the project.  You can choose which figures you want, there is no limit to any one figure.  Production of Shooter is beginning very shortly.  So this project is only 2 weeks long, as I have to make a decision on whether to do these figure before production ends.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790108683/gi-joe-arah-figure-shooter-repaints