JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Some stuff I've been working on....  (Read 11431 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Some stuff I've been working on....
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

This is a pin-up I pencilled/inked/coloured for a local fan-magazine, published by Amazing Stories --a comic book/collectible store in Saskatoon. It will appear in issue #3, arriving sometime in May. The magazine is all-levels talent, a mix of amateur and pro....and all fans. It's a good mix of articles and art, covering the gamut of comics, anime, toys, movies....

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Some stuff I've been working on....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

Wait..no CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAAVE MAAAAAAAAAAN!?

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »

Wait..no CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAAVE MAAAAAAAAAAN!?

LOL!
Well, I had some criteria: I picked only my personal favs........and I wanted the purely superhero characters (which is why Jonny Quest isn't in this).  Captain Caveman wasn't one I was ever fond of, but that saying, I still absent-mindedly missed a few.  Blue Falcon and Dyno-mutt, the Galaxy Trio and probably Shazzan could have been in this.
Ah well......maybe I'll try for a sequel!  ;)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

Better to stick with the more human heroes to be honest. No one from Wacky Racers allowed!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »

Looks good. Apparently I'm not very familiar with these heroes. I recognize Space Ghost, and a few others look familiar, but totally drawing a blank on anyone else name. You should do an off topic review of this fan magazine, I'm interested in seeing a couple of sample panels.....if you can/will that is.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »

Looks good. Apparently I'm not very familiar with these heroes. I recognize Space Ghost, and a few others look familiar, but totally drawing a blank on anyone else name. You should do an off topic review of this fan magazine, I'm interested in seeing a couple of sample panels.....if you can/will that is.

Punch is a local Saskatoon fanzine, and slowly building its momentum. Amazing Stories has copies of issue number #2 that can still be had. Issue #1 is sold out. I think the cover price is $5, but there are coupons on the back cover that can recoup that cost if you make purchases.  The articles run the gamut of how-to's for cos-play, interviews with some of the store staff about their collecting interests, interviews with some celebrities appearing at local conventions,  articles about all sorts of comics subjects, as well as loads of fan art of all genres and media.  All works are voluntary.
Aside from my own contributions to #3, I don't know what is in store for the third issue, but the publisher has expressed that there's been growing interest with each issue. Issue#3 is due out in May.

As for the characters on the pin-up....

There's Space Ghost, of course.....and Birdman and Avenger, his side-kick falcon. There's Jan, Jace and Blip ( from Space Ghost) flying high overhead, all of the Herculoids and their human friends, Moby Dick with his two boys; Tom and Tub ( but no Scooby, the Sea Lion). There's Frankenstein Jr and his boy inventor Buzz Conroy on his shoulder, and on the ground in the background are the Impossibles: Fluid-Man, Multi-Man, and Coil-Man.  In front, are Mighty Samson and his lion buddy, Goliath. All of these are Hanna -Barbera action/adventure series originating from the 60's, and all are available on DVD ( and You-tube) as well.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »

That is a very nice rendition of those HB heroes. Here's my question to you: who or what are they running towards? They obviously should have a very good purpose to be leaping or sling shooting like that (and the rock was already thrown: so who got it on the face?) ;D
2 + 2 = 22

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »

That is a very nice rendition of those HB heroes. Here's my question to you: who or what are they running towards? They obviously should have a very good purpose to be leaping or sling shooting like that (and the rock was already thrown: so who got it on the face?) ;D
It's just a show pose, not intended to be part of any story.  Consider it they are rushing heroically/gallantly towards trouble. :P

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »

looks like a black friday sale is going on.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »

First off - amazing
Secondly - thanks for reminding me about some characters I would have never remembered!
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

I'm still drawing...
These are all items for PUNCH, and the Amazing Stories comic shop

The first bunch are self-caricatures meant to accompany an article, actually a series of articles, on toy collecting. The mascot is a character based on myself called "Toy King":

And here is the Toy King himself.

This here is a pin-up for the lastest issue of PUNCH ( #4) due out this Weds. It's a Christmas themed image, for the combo Halloween/Christmas issue.
It is Toy King ( again) versus his perennial nemesis, in a battle for the most toys....

This image is a illustration done on one of those blank cover variant comics that comic stores get. The idea ( I guess) is to have someone draw or doodle on them and they get sold or auctioned off. This one is for a silent charity auction for a local food bank.
If you are local to Saskatoon, please feel free to come in to Amazing Stories and bid on the entries in the Silent Auction ( starting on Weds Nov 12th 2014)--there's a lot of great covers done, and the proceeds all go to a good cause.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »

That is some great stuff. Love of course the Batman Toy King drawing, as well as the Worf one. Sort of reminds me of "animaniacs" style.