JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Where Does Joe Canuck/Cobra North Fit Into Your G.I. Joe Universe?  (Read 6061 times)

Blitzkrieg

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile

As the universe that THE Mike, Agent Loop, and the CJC staff continues to expand, I was wondering, where do the characters/vehicles/comic storylines/Wiki entries that they create fit into your G.I. Joe universe, either in your head or played out through your toys/attendee exclusives/fan-fiction?

For example...

Are Joe Canuck and the Canuckleheads ("JCC") a specialty team with their own base like Slaughters' Renegades or Battle Force 2000?

Is the Joe Canuck team like the Oktober Guard of Canada, where the U.S. G.I. Joe forces have no jurisdiction and need to fight alongside the JCC if there is a North American or strictly Canadian incident?

Does the JCC report to a U.S.-based officer like General Hawk? Or do they report to his Canadian equivalent/counterpart?

Is the JCC the only anti-terrorism fighting force on the planet to thwart Cobra (and/or Cobra North), in other words, there's no U.S. G.I. Joe forces?

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Where Does Joe Canuck/Cobra North Fit Into Your G.I. Joe Universe?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

I think of the Canuckleheads as a relay team for Gi joe (US). If Gi joe is pursuing Cobra towards Canada, the Canuckleheads can literally pick up the Cobra trail at the frontier, while Duke and his guys get checked out at the border since they have to show their passports and fill the declarations form. I didn't know that that stuff could take so much time, now I know....  ;D
2 + 2 = 22

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »

I didn't know that that stuff could take so much time, now I know....  ;D

And knowing is half the battle.  8)

Blitzkrieg

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »

I didn't know that that stuff could take so much time, now I know....  ;D

And knowing is half the battle.  8)

Blitzkrieg

..you got it wrong.. in that case it's ''..and knowing is half the hassle!''

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »

..you got it wrong.. in that case it's ''..and knowing is half the hassle!''

G-I-J-O-O-O-O-O-KE!  :)
2 + 2 = 22

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:08:45 AM »

i'm writing a series of fan-fics that feature GI Joe and the European Action Force line in a combined universe, Joe Canuck is part of that as a Canadian arm of GI Joe, along with the Guard and 'Task Force 282' (divide by 2 and guess where i got that number from ;)) aka 'Heroic Commandos' aka 'Action Commandos', a joint South American group.

the series is mostly set in the early to mid 1990s, with one epic story set in 1995 featuring the JC characters (and a few members' customs) fighting the Red Shadows in Washington DC a year after the US Joes were disbanded. At some point i plan to revisit the Canucks. - in fact, i just had an idea for a story as i was writing this post. DAMN. better make a note of it before i forget it!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

This is a great question and as someone who is new to the mythos, I am anxious to see how people answer this.

In the Blades files card from 2009, I think it refers to the Argentinean Joes (Schmick, Topson, Redmack, etc), as the South American branch of GI Joe.  Not 100% sure on that.  Anyway, not really sure what that even means.

From a continuity perspective, I'd like to think the CJC boys (and girls) have some reporting line to Hawk....just not really sure how that would work.  How do people reconcile this?

I always felt OG was different than the AF or CH figures b/c even if the Joes worked with them...they were not real allies. 

As an aside, isn't it ironic that in the 2009 set, Blades (UK) was working with the Argentinean Joes ?  In 1982, those countries were at war.....

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »

it's not ironic, it's annoying as hell, because Blades isn't even British in AF continuity, like Chopper the other SAS Force helo pilot, he's a YANK!

oh, and I'd ignore that BS in the 2009 and 2010 filecards about AF and the Heroic Commandos being their respective locales 'branch' of GI Joe. It's insulting. Call them the local counterparts, like the Guard are to the Joes.

my assumption on a chain of command would be that the Canucks report to senior officers in the Canadian military and that information is shared with the US DoD.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »

my assumption on a chain of command would be that the Canucks report to senior officers in the Canadian military and that information is shared with the US DoD.

Yes, I think that is right.....logically it makes sense.

That said, for me, I would like to somehow tie the other forces (e.g. AF, Canada) all up, under 1 umbrella under Hawk.  That way, everything sort of flows together from the ARAH flagship property / continuity.  Does that really make sense?  No, not at all! 

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

In my fan-fic, the Joes operate largely independently of anyone else. The Canadians share info, but largely operate independently. Action Force is mostly European and operates mostly alone, but shares info with the Joes, 282 and the Guard. The Guard operates solo and only shares information with the US sporadically and with AF occassionally. 282 share some info with the Guard, but share more with the US - via Redmack who (per the con figure's card) is an American on secondment - and with AF. 282 is run largely by Brazil and Argentina, with a couple of Chileans prior to the early 1990s. After 1993, they were joined by personnel from Ecuador, Colombia, Uruguay and Peru but it's still a mostly Brazilian/Argentine group. i basically added the others as red shirts i could kill off if i wanted/needed to.

i have ideas for 2 more Heroic Action Commandos stories, one of which will feature the Headhunters and one with more of the South American exclusive Cobras in.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »

Hey, Sundance, is your fan fic up anywhere we can read it?  Sounds cool and well thought out......

At the risk of asking an obvious question, that is not so obvious to me right now.....what is 282?

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »

Actually, what is the "official" view on this topic?  Takedown's filecard mentioned that he declined a position on the founding committee of the GI Joe Canadian branch, or something like that.......