JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: If you had the money what would you buy  (Read 4581 times)

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
If you had the money what would you buy
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »

Hey guys.

So I've been enjoying my Chrismas/New years holidays and using up some of my remaining holidays from last year to get a really nice 3 weeks off. With the kids back school and my wife taking an afternoon nap with the ones at home I used the time to go to an old vintage toy store.
Really awesome looking at all the different toy lines. I believe I was there for a couple hours :) Seeing the joes again was awesome as I pretty much have been out of it for a couple years mostly because I have no spare money anymore or space  :)

Its kind of funny because while I love the figures, I actually find that I have a stronger desire for the vehicles. In particular my top three (Flagg, Terror Drome, Defiant Space complex). All three were there and all three were selling at price I couldn't ever justify spending on a single item (my wife would kill me!).  I don't think any were 100%. I guess it kind of made me think. If one had the money, which of the three would you buy?

B

edit: Changed my title. Also any responses don't have to be about those three I mentioned but could be any joe item or combination of items.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:47:02 AM by B »

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: If you had the money what would you buy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »

I always wanted the WHALE. When I was about 11, when the HAVOC and the reissued WHALE* hit the UK shelves, I had the money for one or the other for my birthday. I chose the HAVOC and I now wish I'd bought the WHALE and I could've got a HAVOC a few years back when I was collecting as a complete decent HAVOC would've been way easier to get.

I also wish I could've got a Tomahawk, but they weren't sold in the shops in my town and I wasn't able to venture further afield to get one.

I also remember drooling over the Mobile Command Centre in the Argos catalogue (the wishing book!) for ages.

I remember wanting the Cobra hydrofoil as a kid too. Tell you what, if I'd managed to get my parents to buy me the hydrofoil in 1987 and I'd bought the WHALE in '88, you would've got me taking photos of those two bad boys duking it out on the stream 10 years ago instead of more prosaic pictures of the Night Landing, Devilfish and the AF Boat Patrol!

*The WHALE was originally released in 1985 in the UK as part of the AF line where all the vehicles got generic (crap) sticker sheets and were packaged in Pallitoy style packaging. In 1988 after the line was relaunched, the WHALE was reissued (like the FANG, Stinger and Skystriker in 1987) in Hasbro packaging and with sticker sheets more like the US ones. The '88 WHALE is a different shade of green to both the '85 and US versions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:14:27 PM by Sundance »
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:24:28 PM »

Yeah the Whale does look awesome. In my mind it seems really big compared to other vehicles, which is funny because I actually think its probably a better size match then most vehicles to the figures. haha!

Is it just me or was it the cartoon that made everyone like the HAVOC. In my mind I seem to recall it was used in enough episodes that I thought it was a "essential" toy. I never could find it but I always assumed because every other kid in town was buying them. Now looking at it i kind of think "meh"

The Tomahawk was also on my wish list but I'm actually comfortable with the Eagle hawk that they released in 2013. I don't feel I've been missing out on that anymore.

thanks for sharing Sundance.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I barely saw the Joe cartoons. They never aired on TV over here (to my knowledge), they were only released on VHS tapes. I've only seen the movie and Arise, Serpentor Arise (which I had for xmas when the parents couldn't get me the movie.).

I liked the HAVOC solely for the appearances in the comics and the prose story H.A.V.O.C. in the Outback from the 1988 annual. Looking at it now, as an adult, I realise how crap it actually is. The main weapons don't traverse, the gunner's hideously exposed to enemy fire and the cockpit is ludicrous with that huge canopy over it.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:35:06 PM »

well if you did get a chance to see the cartoons you'd know the joes could get away with a big canopy and exposed gunners because cobra couldn't hit anything.

hahaha

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »

hahaha, yeah, I think they graduated Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »

I got roped into selling at a toy show a couple weeks ago.

After unexpectedly trading for a Special Missions Brazil set I've been pulled back in.

I'd get a Viper glider I expect since I have the Falcon glider and it looks lonely.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »

Kind of funny. I actually am thinking of trading/selling my Toybiz Marvel Legends figures and I might consider going after one of the big three playsets from the vintage line. 
Depends on how much I'm offerered I guess.

Update: So i actually pulled the trigger and bought myself a Flagg. Its missing some parts but overall very excited and no regrets. However I stumbled on one problem. With all my kids I have no room to actually assemble it HAHA!  I'm sure I'll have it up for a couple hours one day soon but then its going into storage for the next 20 years! Right now I'm just giving it a quick wipe and smiling a lot. Very excited. Totally worth it! My wife rolled her eyes and said "I don't even want to know"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:55:36 PM by B »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »

I got roped into selling at a toy show a couple weeks ago.

After unexpectedly trading for a Special Missions Brazil set I've been pulled back in.

I'd get a Viper glider I expect since I have the Falcon glider and it looks lonely.

Nice. That's never been on my radar. What is the appeal if I might ask?

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »

Funny thing, I would buy the craziest vehicle of all time: the BUZZ BOAR!!! ;) Never found one at the right price, so if I had a lot, I would get it at the next opportunity! 

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »

Bishop why on earth would you want that?!?

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »

Bishop why on earth would you want that?!?

Hahaha, I found one for cheap on jasonsjoesandmore.com! it?s one of the only vehicle of 84-90 I don?t have yet... I had it as a child and I kind of miss it. This and the pogo. lol