JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canadian convention sets not listed on Yojoe  (Read 20625 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian convention sets not listed on Yojoe
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
Ok, first, the Brown Water Warriors are just lame. Simple swaps, no effort involved. I have ALWAYS thought them lame. Hell, Timbit is better than those. lol.

Go Timbit! I'm going to start a Timbit fanclub!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

RedClaw

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 08:39:13 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
Quote from: "THE Mike™"
In my eyes, only those figures endorsed, sponsored, or made by Hasbro should be added.

Our 2009 set falls into that group. But anything prior does not.

.... an argument could be made for Snowbank since Hasbro was in attendance at that event... but then, if you're going to include Snowbank, then you have to include Timbit... and no one wants that. ;-)

Yeah, sure but like I said before it's not an obligation to put them in their regular entries. Just create a new section in the Collectible Archive for that kind of figures. After all Black Ice, Joe Canuck, the Brown Water Warriors, the CustomCon Fury Force figures etc. are known troughout the world and they're is no trace of them on that site who is supposed to be the biggest Joe archive on the net..  ???

This is my official stance on all of these figures.

DeSimone figures - these were made by the man who ran the OFFICIAL conventions in 1992 and 1993. The figures were made from Hasbro Direct / Mail-order left-over stock and were supplied by Hasbro for use as customs. The includes Undercover Jinx, Race Car Driver and Police Officer. Therefore, while I personally do not think of these as quality figures, they are, in fact, fan-produced official figures. These were produced in sufficient quantity as to warrant a significant secondary market value.

Canadian JoeCon figures - Official in every single way. I am willing to go so far as to retroactively consider all figures from these conventions as "official" as, again, they were produced in sufficient quantity as to warrant their inclusion in the archives.

Swamp whatever figures - unofficial in every single way. Any fan can easily reproduce them with little effort and are without a doubt, NOT figures that should be archived in the official G.I.Joe figure archives. Period.

Any custom/fan project figures - these things are great. Really. I love seeing passion and original creativity from the community and over time the quality and passion put into these kinds of figures seems to just get better and better. But...these are still unofficial figures that are essentially impossible for any collector to purchase. They hold no real historical significance to the history of the G.I.Joe brand or the fandom and as such, they should be archived in places like joecustoms.com or other fan run sites. I don't want to take away from how great these things are, but they simply do not belong in the YoJoe archives.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

RedClaw

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »

double-post

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »

Thanks for posting your point of view Terry..
It would be great to receive an answer to my e-mail next time..   :shifty:

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »

Terry, it's definitely awesome to read your own viewpoint on this matter!   IMO it would be great to see Back-Stop version 2, Chacal Noir, and the Frostback troopers in the official Yojoe archive. 

I can see why maybe the previous figures wouldn't qualify, for the same reasons THE Mike pointed out, but if Redclaw says they could be considered it's got my support (what little that's actually worth  ;D).   And since Larry Hama wrote Snowbank's filecard I'd say he's got as much clout as all the figures in last year's set.   In any case though, no matter what figures get added to the Yojoe photo archives, I'd just love to see the newly created CHARACTERS from the Canada branches of GI*Joe and Cobra acknowledged as official in the mythos, all on par with Robert "Backstop" Levin. 

yeah I hoop this goes away someday to be replaced by "Version 1 1987" and "Version 2 2009"
This was the only version of Backstop ever made.

:)

Editor

• View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »

Just a thought,

Why not create a new part on this site which effectively can "copy" YoJoes archives for the JoeCanuck forces. That would take the official concerns off the table, and it can be a (more or less) true archive for what is trying to be achieved with the ongoing creation and development of the JoeCanuck storyline and toys.

Then if Yo Joe wants to simply include a link on their conventions page to this new archive here, so be it, and we'll all be good to go.

Again, just a thought....
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »

Quote from: "Editor"
Just a thought,

Why not create a new part on this site which effectively can "copy" YoJoes archives for the JoeCanuck forces. That would take the official concerns off the table, and it can be a (more or less) true archive for what is trying to be achieved with the ongoing creation and development of the JoeCanuck storyline and toys.

Then if Yo Joe wants to simply include a link on their conventions page to this new archive here, so be it, and we'll all be good to go.

Again, just a thought....

The original plan for the Wiki was to have just that - Canadian items pertaining to G.I. Joe - all listed here, with information, etc etc. There would also be all info on the "Canuck-verse" characters and background info on each that hasn't yet come to light.

But time became a factor, and it's now on the back burner.

I've spoken with someone that is willing to set up the Wiki and such for me - but I just don't have the time to do it on my own right now.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »

Bringing back an old topic...

I made contact with RedClaw (from YoJoe). It looks like some questions still need to be addressed. I fully understand his answer, I just thought it was going to be easier (or at least done by this date). He stated it was going to happen. So, I'm still hoping.

I think someone more official than me should now be involved... so the CJC sets get their full exposure.

Quote from: RedClaw
Hi Martin.

It's becoming easier and easier for people to produce anything their imagination desires and we need to be very careful as what we here at YoJoe classify as officially licensed product (e.g. The Collectors Club) and fan creations (Black Major).

Originally in 2010, when I made the above statement, I was lead to believe that the show and the figures were licensed and endorsed by Hasbro. It is my current understanding that this is not the case.

Either way, the Canadian exclusives will be on YoJoe, we just need to decide whether it will be in the main archive or a fan produced area.

We should talk more and soon.

- RedClaw
 Chief YoJoe Admin

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »

Good follow - through, Martin!

I am confused by that answer, to be honest.  I thought Hasbro supplied the parts for 2009 and blessed it (after all, Backstop was produced so there would be copyright issues if Hasbro did not sign off).  I thought that was a given.

I also believed yo joe was going to "grandfather" previous figures (e.g. Black Ice, Snowbank, etc) even though they were not specifically endorsed by Hasbro, based on (1) the subsequent approval in 2009 and (2) the high quality nature of the product.  That was from the declassified article, which I do not have in front of me.....though I have the link saved somewhere.

So, it seems that yojoe's answer changed althought the facts (e.g. 2009 was an official set) did not.  Moreover, does not yojoe include the 2009 comic online already???

Maybe I'm missing something, but it is just not clear to me......

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »

As a practical matter, the GI Joe logo is all over the last 4 sets plus Hasbro attended in 2009, 2011 and 2012 (I believe).  It is not like they did not know the sets were being made and CJC used the logo w/o permission.

Also, I understand Hasbro would not attend if knock - off products were sold in the vendor room and the CJC team took care of that.  They obviously had no problem with the CJC produced sets, which are awesome, btw.

I think yo joe's argument that compares custom figures / sets with custom sets that Hasbro Canada knows about and lets CJC produce are entirely different....they are not morally equivalent.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »

what i think of YJ's attitude regarding their archive is probably best left unsaid...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.