JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hasbro Answers your 3 Summer 2009 Questions!  (Read 7691 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Hasbro Answers your 3 Summer 2009 Questions!
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »

Question:  Will Canada see the new 17 DVD box set of the 80's cartoon at retail?

Answer: Yes, the new Shout! Factory DVD set will be available in Canada

Question:  Any new developments on Resolute in regards to further animation or toy releases?

Answer: We are currently working on the Resolute DVD release plan as well as a potential Resolute figure pack for 2010

Question: By recognizing the vast interest that the 2009 Canadian Joe Convention exclusive set generated on a planetary scale thanks to GIJOE collector communities worldwide and the Vac-painted chromium Hiss tank playing a major centerpiece part in this set, will Hasbro Canada consider using the success of the 2009 Canadian Joe Convention exclusive set as an example to show Canadian retailers how collector communities can play an active and positive role in the growth of product variety and exclusives in Canadian stores, and perhaps persuade the big commercial store chains to offer "real" exclusives similar to what Hasbro USA has accomplished with Target when they offered the Tiger Force and Python Patrol vehicle repaints?

Answer: Great idea! Currently the Canadian retailers are offering many of the same exclusives available in the US.... but we will make them aware of the recent (and great!) activity of our Joe Canuck fans

Some great answers this time around!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Answers your 3 Summer 2009 Questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »

I'd say, they actually gave a solid answer to one of those questions!

Q1
Awesome to hear the Shout! DVD set will be available to Canada.  I shudder to think what the SRP will be, but it's great to know none the less.

Q2
"working on release plan" and "a potential" has a potential to be cancelled, but I'm being cynical.  I hope it all comes true!

Q3
Not sure if they answered the question  ???

Storm.Shadow

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »

Other Sites:

Toynewsi.com

Cool Toy Review

As part of Hasbro's bi-monthly Q&A session, Cool Toy Review passed on 3 of your burning questions and now we've got the answers for you.

Cool Toy Review: Dear Hasbro, Where are the 7 Packs? there aren't even any preorders online for them.

Hasbro: Pre-orders are now being taken and product will be delivered over the next couple months.

Cool Toy Review: Could you please release the rest of the original vehicles, and sets from 1982? The HAL (heavy, artillery, laser), MMS (Mobile, Missile, System), JUMP jet pack (with launch pad & Grandslam with red chest guard)? Could you also release the Dragonfly? We keep getting so many Wild Bills, but we still don't have his ride.

Hasbro: At Comic-Con, the team will reveal some mini-playsets that will be movie-themed, but based on the 80's. No announcement yet on the Dragonfly, but the team is considering it for 2010.

Cool Toy Review: I think you should release updated versions of the Cobra bunker, Ammo Dump, outpost, etc to have little playsets. They are cheap to produce and do not require that much packaging...and...are awesome!!

Hasbro: Great idea. We are thinking along the same lines and will show you what we have planned at Comic-Con.

TheTerrorDrome.com

The Terror Drome 2009 Hasbro Round 3 Q&A Questions:

Q1 ? Besides Footloose what other vintage Joes will we see next in the RoC line or otherwise?

A1 ? We are not ready to reveal the future vintage figures coming yet?.but there are more coming in 2009 and 2010!

Q2 ? G.I. Joe fans everywhere from embryos to retirees are begging for more Resolute! How close are we to seeing a sequel or cartoon series?

A2 ? We are still working on the future entertainment plans and do not have a plan we can share yet. We have heard loud and clear that fans love
Resolute!

Q3 ? Hasbro also owns "Wizards of the coast" that produces several RPG's and Miniature games (Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars, Modern Die 20, ect), will they be producing similar products for GI Joe?

A3 ? At this time we are not developing any GI Joe RPG's or card games, but we may revisit this after the movie.

CoilClub

1.) As you know, this year's convention set is a reissue of a set released 7 years ago in with the new modern era construction. Rumor continues to persist in the community that Hasbro has some degree of say (veto power if you will) into the yearly Convention Set by the Fun Publications team. First, is this true? Secondly, if it is true, why recommend a re-issue of a previous set? Are these designs that Hasbro was wanting to release, but with the shift to the movie focus, got derailed or what?

The process for the convention set is that the club comes up with their top ideas for what they would like to do. Hasbro then gets "veto power" to make sure that it does not overlap with mainline?but in general the club is responsible for knowing the club members and what they want to see. The Crimson Set was requested by the club and made sense given the excitement of movie and lack of twins in the line.

2.) Never wanting to assume and taking into consideration leaked pictures from overseas, we realize (and HOPE) there are some surprises at SDCC to show. Would you mind leaking a tidbit of info to share with the community? A "preview" if you will?

Due to internet leaks, many of the reveals have already been shown to the online community. We will be showing new figures, vehicles, exclusives, and a lot of insight into the mind of the design team.

3.) The community has provided positive feedback on the Hasbro Toy Store GI Joe Troop Builder 8-Packs. First off, how did the sales of 8-Packs do and secondly, might we see more in the future from other army builders not previously offered - Eels for example?

We can't release sales information, but we are happy that we could help meet the needs of our troop builders. A future 8-pack is possible, but currently not planned.

arashikageclan.com

Link only due to specific request from site.

kastorskorner.com

Kastor:  Advanced shots of three Rise of Cobra 2-packs exclusive to Wal-Mart have surfaced online, but you have said in the past there will be four Wal-Mart 2-packs released for Rise of Cobra... will these four sets be released in one wave?  If so, can you give us any idea of the characters in the fourth 2-pack?

Joe Team:  We will debut these at ComicCon?stay tuned.

Kastor:  In the last round of Q&A's, you mentioned a Toys R Us multi-pack including Footloose, among others. Will this multi-pack be based on movie designs, or classic renditions of the characters?

Joe Team:  The multi-pack will be based in the movie universe but inspired by the original characters from the 80's

Kastor:  One thing that has really stood out about the Rise of Cobra series is the huge amount of accessories included with each figure (some, like Shipwreck, Baroness and Firefly are loaded to the gills with accessories). Will this trend continue for the duration of the movie line?

Joe Team:  Yes, the trend of lots of great accessories will continue.  We hope this adds to the playability of the toys and that you enjoy the gear.

one-18th.com

Q1. Flash: Personal favorite, so I?m glad to see he?s getting a redo with a completely new look. But, it does have an odd look for a ?JOE? figure, he looks more Cobra. Maybe it?s the mask, who knows. BUT, he does bear a striking resemblance to Resolute Firefly. Was Flash originally supposed to be someone else, but changed later on?

No, Flash is all new and designed only to be Flash. Even in 1982 Flash was unique with the red break-up costime and the team took this into consideration with the new Flash and make sure he had a new unique look in the ROC fantasy. Moving forward you will see more of this, classic characters in movie universe and new characters consistent with the fantasy (like Para-Vipers).

Q2. Will the San Diego Con exclusive be the only way we will be seeing a Christopher Eccleston helmet-less Destro? Or rather, will there be a standard release of him in some form or fashion?

Yes to the first question. You will see only the masked Destro in the mainline toy line in 2009.

Q3. We?ve seen a couple different variants with the line, courtesy of various images (examples: Ice Viper with a clear & red visor, Cobra Commander in various poses and with and without hoses, Firefly with the red or black helmet). Any way you can let us in on intentional variants, or production changes in figures we can watch out for?

These were all planned variants. At JoeCon this year, we plan on spending some time talking about variants and what to expect down the line.

AND? As a bonus, I was able to sneak in an extra question. See below!

Q4. As a fan of the JOE side of the battle, it?s nice to see the Joes get single pack nameless troops for the first time. And the gear he comes with is FANTASTIC! Well done there! Can you discuss why you decided to go with a basic Joe troop for the movie line?

We heard from the fans that they would like nameless troopers for the Joe team as well as the Cobra. We felt that the movie offered great inspiration for some of these troopers.

JoeReloaded

1.) Why was IDW allowed to use the Adam Hughes Baroness cover, but DDP was not?

The Adam Hughes cover was originally presented at a time when Hasbro had a
very high sensitivity level and decided not to use the cover. A couple
years later, Hasbro and IDW are more willing to push the envelope when it
comes to our comic book franchise.

2.) How much influence do you have over Paramount regarding the film and its promotion?

We have a great partnership with Paramount and have worked hand in hand
with them on creation of the film. With regards to the promotion,
Paramount takes the lead as they are the experts in marketing movies.

3.) With all the publicity surrounding the G.I. Joe Movie, New Comic, the cartoon figures, etc., are there any plans to release a complete series of the G.I. Joe cartoon during this year?

This is something that we are looking at and hope to have updates in the
near future!

JoeCustoms

1) Are more new characters, such as Helix, planned for the line?

Yes, there are more new characters coming, but the vast majority of figures coming will be based bringing classic Joe's into the movie universe.

2) If the makers of "Power Team Elite", "True Heros" and "Soldier Force" can produce modern military toys, emergency rescue response and futuristic adventure toys with high detail and enough extra gear to out fit the Marines, at an affordable price, then why can't Hasbro? What happened to the imagination and dare to be the best attitude that seemed to rule Hasbro in the 80's?==

There are two issues at work here. The first is whether Hasbro and GI Joe want to be in the realistic military figure category or base the brand in the 80's GI Joe vs Cobra fantasy. The future will be in the 80's lore.

With regards to pricing, Hasbro has to cover a variety of costs and does its best to deliver its products at the best possible price. Looking at the Hasbro portfolio of boys products, we continue to reinvent our brands and bring out the best toys on the market.

3) If the movie is not a success for any reasons (accelerator suit, soccer moms, kids being dumb because of cell phones, etc) does it mean the end of GI Joe or will you still maintain a toy line following the huge success of the 25th anniversary and the millions of fans?

The GI Joe brand has been and will continue to be important to Hasbro. We can't wait for the movie to hit theaters!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:06:00 PM by Storm.Shadow »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »

Copy and paste them instead of links. It's just easier if everything is "here". :-)

TNI: When are the "Assault on Cobra Island" 7-packs going to be released and will they only be available at online etailers and comic book specialty shops or will any major retail chains like TRU also be carrying these? Question by reader Draven79.

Hasbro: The Cobra Island sets are now available for pre-sell and will only be available at online and specialty retailers.

TNI: Inevitably, the focus is going to shift from the movie line. When that time comes, what should we expect in the spotlight; the as-of-now unreleased Resolute figures and possibly more figures based on the animated short or the "classic" 25th line? Question by reader die fighting X.

Hasbro: The focus will remain on the movie universe, even after the movie has passed. At JoeCon this year, we plan on revealing the focus for the 2010 line so we can't reveal too much right now.

TNI: I first saw the new ROC toys well over a week ago at all of the major retailers. However, they were not available for purchase at any of the stores because of the release date (7/10). I have purchased a few since then because of the new release date at TRU and Target. However, Wal-Mart still will not sell them. Why does Hasbro go so far and impose so many regulations with these release dates, is it to keep me from buying their product, while at the same time allowing TONS of product to be STOLEN from their factories and sold on eBay? It is incredibly frustrating to have to wait to rightfully purchase something that has been available via the black market for so long. Question by reader Clam.

Hasbro: Clam, the reason for shelf dates is that it allows Hasbro and the retailers to align on specific plans for getting product into the hands of our fans. For example, Wal-Mart and Target will not reset their shelves until August. Therefore we needed to work with them to find ways to get GI Joe out of aisle before the movie. In order to have fairness across all the accounts, we set a date when everyone can start selling. As for the second part of the question, when we have to make millions of figures for the movie, it takes time to produce...so we have to start the process very early. As a result of this, the lines in China are running the product months before product hits...and a small number of figures find their way to the black market.

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »

Thanks to all involved!

I'm surprised that Hasbro was willing to answer so definitively to #1.  Don't get me wrong, it's great to hear, but I didn't think that Shout! had committed to this yet.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I'm not sure I like the word "currently" in answer #3.  There are "currently" zero G.I. Joe store exclusives (yes we have the online exclusive 3-packs) available in Canada, so what does that mean?  On the other hand, I don't know that Hasbro has official announced any of the store exclusives (even though we've seen a ton of pictures) so it may be that they're just not willing to tip their hat yet.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »

And Bandalero, they did answer #3 in my opinion. The buzz for our con set has shown Hasbro that, if done right, any exclusive will sell out. They can take that to the major chains in Canada and say "Hey, look what these guys did". ;-)

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
Copy and paste them instead of links. It's just easier if everything is "here". :-)

LOL, will do.  I wasn't certain what the linking vs copying, policy is around here so I took the safe route.

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »

Couple more added above

Storm.Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »

Look up, 3 more added....

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:08:12 PM »

Hmm, they actually gave a straight answer this time!
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »

I like the answers they gave this time - or was it we have learned how to ask the right questions?

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »

Quote from: "akpayne"
I like the answers they gave this time - or was it we have learned how to ask the right questions?

I honestly think it's more the latter than the former.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.