JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 54233 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »

Quote from: "roshan"
Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
I know people might think having a smaller set is a step back but I think making it more available is a step forward for what it is, I mean look at the all the hate that went around in SDCC for the slaughters...  You want the kids and attendees to get something cool to remember the con with.  With the influx of younger kids it started me thinking of when I have kids and my niece and nephew how much joy they would get getting an exclusive figure to play with.  Collectors should be happy too because they can get a cool looking figure to add to the Joecanuck lore.  And possibly even higher standards to the figure.  If for instance the SNAKE armor set was offered to 1000 sets (I dont know the economics) I think the majority of collectors and fans and kids would be happy.  Maybe Im too optimistic about that I dunno  :-

Making them a higher run wouldn't make me like these figures any less.  If 1000 of those SNAKE armor's were made yesterday the only difference is I would have more of them :)  I much prefer a larger set, but if less figures higher produced makes for less con angst, then I'm all for it.  But don't knock the early morning lineups, I have a blast at those :)

Dont get me wrong I loved lining up and chatting with everyone there were so many people I had a blast with lining up with, one guy right behind me for instance was a real nice guy (and if you are reading this I know you dont post but you should!) but its when people start arguing over line spots that things can potentially get ugly.  Im not saying it will always be this way but the potential is there.  But take away the highly limited run, and reduce the secondary market worth of the exclusive and I think that would solve a lot of problems, thats just my opinion though.  That wont stop me for loving the large limited 100 sets though lol.  The thing to ask also is that will attendance go down with a smaller set?  Will less revenue come in?  Is the con about the set or about being entertained for a day out?  I dont know the answers to these, but its something to think about for the organizers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:40:53 PM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
Dont get me wrong I loved lining up and chatting with everyone there were so many people I had a blast with lining up with, one guy right behind me for instance was a real nice guy (and if you are reading this I know you dont post but you should!) but its when people start arguing over line spots that things can potentially get ugly.   The thing to ask also is that will attendance go down with a smaller set?  Will less revenue come in?  Is the con about the set or about being entertained for a day out?  I dont know the answers to these, but its something to think about for the organizers.

Well I'm going to fix that next year if there's a line again.  I'm going to go down the line every half an hour and take line photos (it was something I should have done this year, but I didn't think it was going to be an issue).  Anyone has a problem with someone cutting has proof then.  I was pissed at myself Saturday morning when Mike asked who was where in line and I couldn't remember past the stop sign, I should have been paying closer attention to it since I went down that line once every hour anyway. 

There is indeed a potential of less people coming from out of town if the con set is smaller.  If it's just one or two figures at a higher run, some people might not see the advantage of driving so far to it and order it off ebay.   I know that if you only attend a con set for the figures you're missing the picture, but I'll be honest: the size and awesomeness of that 2009 set was what got me interested enough to come 12 hours to check it out.  Once you check out the con atmosphere you'll soon learn that the con itself is much more important to see than just getting the set.  But sometimes you need to have the eye candy advertised at door to get people to come in and see the full performance so to speak.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

spiderpumpkin

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »

Does the SNAKE fit in the empty cutout in the top right corner of the con set?  Was there going to be a SNAKE in every set and that's why that extra hole is there?

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

Oh I just want to add that I was skeptical about how good this years con set looked from the images, but when I opened it up for the first time I was blown away.  Very nice set.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

Well I'm going to fix that next year if there's a line again.  I'm going to go down the line every half an hour and take line photos (it was something I should have done this year, but I didn't think it was going to be an issue).  Anyone has a problem with someone cutting has proof then.  I was pissed at myself Saturday morning when Mike asked who was where in line and I couldn't remember past the stop sign, I should have been paying closer attention to it since I went down that line once every hour anyway. 

There is indeed a potential of less people coming from out of town if the con set is smaller.  If it's just one or two figures at a higher run, some people might not see the advantage of driving so far to it and order it off ebay.   I know that if you only attend a con set for the figures you're missing the picture, but I'll be honest: the size and awesomeness of that 2009 set was what got me interested enough to come 12 hours to check it out.  Once you check out the con atmosphere you'll soon learn that the con itself is much more important to see than just getting the set.  But sometimes you need to have the eye candy advertised at door to get people to come in and see the full performance so to speak.

Ya I feel it would attract less people as well, its a fine balancing act, I don't envy the Organizers on working on this, but have confidence Mike and the rest will make the right choices. 

spiderpumpkin

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »

I traveled to Hamilton from Minneapolis last year and made it a road trip vacation.  The HATE set was a factor but I6m a big Joecon fan and knew any convention with GI Joe would be fun.  I also wanted to see that area of Ontario including Niagara Falls and also see a Blue Jays game and stop in Chicago coming and going.  

I didn't go this year because my car is unreliable and lack of funds.  It was killing me not going this year.  I had it all planned earlier in the year.  I was going to stay up there all week and on the way home stop in Michigan for the Nascar race next weekend.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »

I helped make the set. I didn't know about the dealer that got 10 sets. That really exploits the system.

Still, it happens.

As for selling your set on Ebay, meh, it's up to you. I know it happens. I just hate the fact someone got 10 sets.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

smarchitelli

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »

Hey NeoDragonKnight, it was me who was behind you in line at the Joe Con. It was really great meeting you and your friend and talking joe as it made the 4 hours plus wait pass much quicker than I expected.

Overall the convention was fantastic! My friend and I have been attending since 2008 and we had a blast! By far it was the best one with a great location, interesting guest speakers and fantastic deals to be had all around.

Now, in regards to the Snake Set. It is a great idea in concept, but poorly executed. In reality, there were only 42-40 sets available, not 50 (the 8-10 sets went to staff/dealers I assume, which is fine). But when that information was revealed, it caused GREAT anxiety amongst many in line (I think I was #39-40 in line and was just lucky enough to get one). In addition, the accusations of people cutting in line almost caused a riot, and just added stress to the overall situation.

An ideal solution would have been to have had two separate wristbands – one for the con set and a separate one for the Snake set for first 42-40 in line. When both are given out and allocated, then people would have the opportunity to disperse and take a well needed break and not have to be “forced” to wait in line until 9am.

Steve

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "smarchitelli"
Hey NeoDragonKnight, it was me who was behind you in line at the Joe Con. It was really great meeting you and your friend and talking joe as it made the 4 hours plus wait pass much quicker than I expected.

Overall the convention was fantastic! My friend and I have been attending since 2008 and we had a blast! By far it was the best one with a great location, interesting guest speakers and fantastic deals to be had all around.

Now, in regards to the Snake Set. It is a great idea in concept, but poorly executed. In reality, there were only 42-40 sets available, not 50 (the 8-10 sets went to staff/dealers I assume, which is fine). But when that information was revealed, it caused GREAT anxiety amongst many in line (I think I was #39-40 in line and was just lucky enough to get one). In addition, the accusations of people cutting in line almost caused a riot, and just added stress to the overall situation.

An ideal solution would have been to have had two separate wristbands – one for the con set and a separate one for the Snake set for first 42-40 in line. When both are given out and allocated, then people would have the opportunity to disperse and take a well needed break and not have to be “forced” to wait in line until 9am.

Steve

Cool great to see you posting!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

I am sure that there is a good chance that less people will make the big drive for a smaller, less exclusive set.  

For me personally, a nice 2 pack set at $45-50 is exactly what I personally would like.  But if one of the figs was an army builder.........
well, you know.  It would help make the sets more wanted.

The Snake Byte figure, as said before, made the set after reading the comic.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »

Quote from: "spiderpumpkin"
Does the SNAKE fit in the empty cutout in the top right corner of the con set?  Was there going to be a SNAKE in every set and that's why that extra hole is there?

The SNAKE was supposed to have a run of 100. It didn't happen. Since we knew the SNAKE would only be a run of 50, that other section was reserved for the missiles and the accessories.

But you're missing the point of the SNAKE being an Early Attendee Exclusive then. It's for the first 50 (43) people in the door. NOT in the line. As it was, if you were there for a con set, and you got the wristband, then you could leave - if you didn't want a SNAKE. If you wanted the SNAKE, then you had to stick around.

It was something new we tried this year, and while it was well received by most, it's something that we may not do again.

Each year we're going to try new things. Some of it will work, some of it won't. We're still "young" at this - and while there are some things that I know we do phenomenial at, there is always room for improvement - which is why we had a survey on the registration sheet this year.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
Quote from: "spiderpumpkin"

The SNAKE was supposed to have a run of 100. It didn't happen. Since we knew the SNAKE would only be a run of 50, that other section was reserved for the missiles and the accessories.

But you're missing the point of the SNAKE being an Early Attendee Exclusive then. It's for the first 50 (43) people in the door. NOT in the line. As it was, if you were there for a con set, and you got the wristband, then you could leave - if you didn't want a SNAKE. If you wanted the SNAKE, then you had to stick around.

It was something new we tried this year, and while it was well received by most, it's something that we may not do again.

Each year we're going to try new things. Some of it will work, some of it won't. We're still "young" at this - and while there are some things that I know we do phenomenial at, there is always room for improvement - which is why we had a survey on the registration sheet this year.

Ya I think it was the 50 set that was the issue this year, I think anyone who wanted a 100 set pretty much got there early and got it.  THere were some left right after opening correct?  Same with last year if I recall.