JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 3 Packs....#4 and #5 in hand...what I think!  (Read 2373 times)

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
3 Packs....#4 and #5 in hand...what I think!
« on: October 23, 2004, 09:10:47 PM »

These are actually pretty cool sets!

Zap is a nice figure, and he goes nicely with the other green shirts (Clutch, Hawk, Steeler) from the other packs!!! He looks like he did in the comic...but what?s with the accessories....why a heat viper bazooka? And no helmet...what?s a green shirt without a helmet?

Grunt is cool also...not a bad figure...would have been nice to see some accessories again that were individualized to the figure! I have to read the comic again to see why he is in the brown suit?but he make s a good civilian?.?!?!

Snake Eyes...used to be my favorite figure...but version number ?83? here is well...just another Snake Eyes...at least his colour scheme is ok?I would have preferred his original Uzi?one thing I should add is?not to be all negative but here we go again with repeats?why a second snake eyes figure with in 4 sets of each other??I guess we will see another Stalker soon as well in set #6?and yes I know that Snake Eyes is an old favorite but the collectors seem to be the target of these sets and would not an new character like Kwinn or a retool make for a better set?!

Over all I do really like this pack...Hasbro was not cheap on the accessories number wise but again individualized accessories would have been better (what I mean by this is accessories that were not or will not ever be released with any other figure...you know like the old days when the figure and his accessories were a unique as each other?like Starlets crossbow?or Major Bloods gun)

Steeler...what?s he wearing a puffy shirt under his green shirt? He is a little broad like the Cluch figure from set #3. He is alright...comes with a helmet and is cool when set with the other 3 green shirts...glad to see his visor like it is in the comic...(a unique accessory...way to go!!)

General Flagg...well he is a little...ripped...his arms are really big...he chest is a little V'ed...they look in proportion but just muscular?it works on guys like Big Boa?but not the General?and when does a general have time to hit the gym 24 / 7 anyways? Another original sculpt figure that nice to see...but re-released weapons that have been used 100 times do nothing for the figure...!

Cobra Officer...all good here...best figure in both sets...I really like him...and not because I am a army builder or Cobra worshiper either...he is plain cool! I like the color scheme, not as much as the original from 82 but it is a nice change...and his weapons are good...at least the AK type gun with the scope...it is cool...!!! One thing I noticed about the Cobra trooper and the Officer is that the eyes are two toned or having two colours?white with brown....but they look great...maybe even alive compared to the originals from 82!!

Over all I was thrilled just to get these two packs and think the figures are cool to have in my collection...but I am sure pack 6...the October Guard will be the best of the series...!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:53:59 PM »

I was just surprised to see the package bubble is much thinner than the original 3 packs. It makes sense I guess, but for a MOC collector like myself it throws off the over all look of these lined up on the wall.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
Grunt & Zap
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 01:01:07 PM »

I know some people have problems with issue-specific characters like Grunt (not saying you do), but I think that's kinda the point of these releases - they're like "official customs".  The way they captured Grunt's comic look with the headsculpt especially is pretty amazing.

While I don't care, Zap's torso is technically incorrect.  He should have the non-grenade/knife torso.  And yeah, a helmet would've been nice.  But otherwise I really enjoy seeing a Joe figure with the red collar from the comic.  I wish these sets were officially available in Canada!
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 02:22:24 PM »

The difference in packaging threw me off as well as I want to display them as MOC.

But I am not going to be picky.  I really like the comic set figures so far.  And yes, Snake Eyes is getting a little boring for me.  I rather have a different character instead of having two figures within a span of 5 waves.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67