JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Marauder John is now making action figures.  (Read 22135 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Marauder John is now making action figures.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »

I wonder if the white fig/accessories could be easily dyed it to any colour you wanted?
The Arctic figure will be camouflaged, not plain white. MJ has written that it will have grey and tan pattern paint apps on top of the white plastic.
I'd expect a paint master to be revealed in a few weeks after the fact.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »

I wonder if the white fig/accessories could be easily dyed it to any colour you wanted?
The Arctic figure will be camouflaged, not plain white. MJ has written that it will have grey and tan pattern paint apps on top of the white plastic.
I'd expect a paint master to be revealed in a few weeks after the fact.

Let's say you removed the paint first.

Is the plastic somewhat receptive to dying and would modders prefer a white fig to start with to get the colour they wanted?

I wonder what the interest would be in an unpainted white version for this purpose?

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »

I don't know how the plastic they'll be using would take removing the paint apps and then dyeing--it might be something to ask them, but I doubt they would have an answer for it right now.

There is a stretch goal that offers a completely UN-painted figure: the "Pema" goal at the $270,000 level--something the project is not likely to hit.
HOWEVER, it's an unpainted item, and they MAY offer it on their webstore, but again.......might be something to ask them about directly.

I know that in their last Kickstarter project, they offered up some "prototype" powder-blue weapons, but only about 6 people were interested in them, so they chose not to actually have them produced.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »

They've just unlocked the "Logan" level--which is the red deco figure. Seems to be a surge to try and unlock the "Maynard" level--which will add a rifle and pistol to EVERY figure, regardless of what pledge level you have made.

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »

I think the odd part for me on this project is the number of backers- and that would be how relatively small the number is. When all is said and done it looks like about 1,200 people are all that seem interested in this. Considering that there are 852 registered members of the Joe Canuck site alone, worldwide I would have thought the number this would have appealed to would be at least over the 2K mark.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »

..and she's done.
Final tally is $244.155 pledged and FOURTEEN stretch goals unlocked. Every colour deco offered was unlocked, and all the main accessory items for most colours as well.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 01:45:49 AM »

I think the odd part for me on this project is the number of backers- and that would be how relatively small the number is. When all is said and done it looks like about 1,200 people are all that seem interested in this. Considering that there are 852 registered members of the Joe Canuck site alone, worldwide I would have thought the number this would have appealed to would be at least over the 2K mark.

FUN WITH NUMBERS!

852 registered JoeCanuck members.

Only 351 have ever posted more than 10 times.
Of those only 109 have posted more than 50 times.
Going by HISSTank forum viewing numbers, modern stuff is about twice as popular as ARAH stuff so make that about 66 people on JoeCanuck interested. (100 *0.66)
Now we're going to assume modern figure fans can't resist these figures (they are pretty cool) so all 66 will buy them.

US has a reserve force of 850,880.
Canada has a reserve force of 51,000

Assuming US military toy interest is about that ratio between US and Canada:

850880/51000 = 16.7:1
66 * 16.7 = 1102 expected US backers

1102 + 66 = 1168 total backers

Final number of backers was 1195. Sounds about right to me.

Also since the most reasonable deal was $200 for one of each figure.
We subtract the special backers for the prototypes. $244,000 - (3 X $1000) = $241000
Divide by the 1195-3 backers. $241,000/1192 = $202 average backing amount

Thank about THAT!

Just call me Zenithdramus.

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »

First, that was some impressive number crunching.

I guess I should have phrased my first post on this another way.
While I am quite pleased with the outcome of the project, and while I am looking forward to the final product (which looks to be some of the coolest military/fantasy/science fiction action figures to come down the pike in a while), the final outcome has me wondering about something. As cool as this stuff is, and as reasonably priced as some of the backer rewards are, why did only 1,195 people decide to try it out? There are a lot of toy collectors out there; did it just not get enough press, are people too afraid of new things, or what?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »

While I am quite pleased with the outcome of the project, and while I am looking forward to the final product (which looks to be some of the coolest military/fantasy/science fiction action figures to come down the pike in a while), the final outcome has me wondering about something. As cool as this stuff is, and as reasonably priced as some of the backer rewards are, why did only 1,195 people decide to try it out? There are a lot of toy collectors out there; did it just not get enough press, are people too afraid of new things, or what?

I think it has a lot to do with trust and failed projects from other groups. There is probably a lot of people who are waiting to see if they can buy there figures on line after production or ebay.

It's a shame if that's the case because the more people that joined up from the start helps the community at large.

I had fun watching this kick starter project. It was very well organized and the last 24 hours were very exciting. It was great to feel like I was part of something new.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »

I decided to team up with my friends in Texas to save on the shipping costs.  This will be a Very Exciting December when we get this Awesome Figures!
Lurking

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with trust and failed projects from other groups. There is probably a lot of people who are waiting to see if they can buy there figures on line after production or ebay.

It's a shame if that's the case because the more people that joined up from the start helps the community at large.

I had fun watching this kick starter project. It was very well organized and the last 24 hours were very exciting. It was great to feel like I was part of something new.

Also a lot of people who collect GI Joe would have absolutely no interest in these since they're not GI Joes.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »

I woulda thunk an independent raising a quarter million dollars (off a $30K goal) would be considered a grand triumph. But that's just me being Mr. Positive.