JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ah crap....I have been sucked into the Dark Side (ROTS)  (Read 8610 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Ah crap....I have been sucked into the Dark Side (ROTS)
« on: May 27, 2005, 03:19:50 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, I bought my first Star Wars toy. A ROTS Darth Vader. I figure he would be cool to have since I don't have any Star Wars figures.  I could go and by an original one but that would lead me down the garden path to get them all. I rather not considering I am not a huge enough fan.   The power of the force is not that strong or is it?

This past weekend, I made a stop to TRU to find a Vader talking toy for Madman.  My worst fear happened.  I found 7 clone troopers.  That blasted GI JOE army building bug I have for cool figures manifested once again. I must have stayed in the TRU store for an hour debating whether to get them or not.  I got them in the end.  I felt like those scalpers without a life on this day.  It wasn't a good feeling, especially when kids where in the display area.  In the end, I figured Vader needed some company.  I also got a couple of free Yoda TRU exclusives so that was a bonue.

Yesterday, I made another stop to a TRU to try and round out the Clone number to 10.  Seven was a weird number for me.  I only found two but also picked up a couple of Clone Commanders.  How many of these guys are there? Is there a Clone janitor figure that I don't know about. lol . At least some sanity prevailed as I left the other 3 Clone commanders behind.  At 10 bucks a pop these guys are not cheap to army build.  

I have yet to open the packages.  I am giving myself time to decide if I really want them or this was just a spur of the moment type of deal. I am sure I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of the Clone Troopers down the road.

So who else has been sucked into collecting something they didn't expect?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

I have, Star Wars, Justice League Unlimited, New Heman, and so on.

I have the full set of Heman mint on card still so that is how much I enjoyed them, that is 30+ figures, and I am not a mint on card collector.

This type of stuff just waters down my collection.

I have 100+ Star Wars guys and I wish I had none! They are ok but nothing special. I find myself buying them because it is easy. They are every where Zellars, Wal-Mart, Super Store. Star Wars are easy to get, unlike Joes which are hard to get. Anyways I have been sucked in by the simplicity of the transaction, anyone want my Star Wars collection...or my Hemans!!!  :lol:

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 04:00:35 PM »

Believe it or not, it *is* possible to buy figures without army building.

Why not keep 2 or 3 elite guard to act as Vader's bodyguards?

I almost picked up an Anakin Unleashed today, except he has no bloody articulation!

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Ah crap....I have been sucked into the Dark Side (ROTS)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
This past weekend, I made a stop to TRU to find a Vader talking toy for Madman.

Sure blame me! Just kidding Pete  :lol: . I've also found myself sucked into the darkside sort of. Like I've said a few times. I'm not a Star Wars fan. When TPM and AOTC movies/toys were released, I really had no desire to pick any up.

However, after watching ROTS the other day, I picked up a few figs and was tempted to pick up some more (like clone troopers and some droids)but reasoned myself out of this. In my opinion, most of the figs aren't that great. I hated action attack on joes and I still hate them on SW figs. I picked up a Vader and Greivous. I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of these though.

As Spill said, it's because Star Wars toys are everywhere. You walk into walmart, zellers, TRU, local comic/hobby shops and there they are.

If you think it was the spur ofthe moment purchase, like you said, you can return/get rid of  them later.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Ah crap....I have been sucked into the Dark Side (ROTS)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 04:30:50 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
.  I also got a couple of free Yoda TRU exclusives so that was a bonue.

What's this about free Yoda? Man, that sounds like a soda pop.

Drink Free Yoda! It's sugar free!
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:55:43 PM »

HA HA HA HA!
(I'm pointing at you).

You got sucked in!

:lol:
Mike

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 09:54:04 AM »

happened to me too... I got Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda figures from the clone wars serie. I also got an Obi Wan from ROTS last week along a Ben, Han Solo and Bob Afett (pun intended) from the new Original trilogy serie that came out not long ago since those figures are fully articulated.

Oh and when Aotc came out since they were indeed everywhere I picked up two troopers and one Jango Fett...
Say no to AFA.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:06:21 AM »

I picked up an Admiral Akhbar a couple weeks ago to go with my Boba Fett (90's series) and Emperor Palpatine (80's series)

An R2-D2 would be cool to have around.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 04:25:01 PM »

I got sucked in too Pete.  I swore I wouldn't buy any of the new SW figs and I try to shy away from troop building, but once I saw the Darth Vader and a few clone troopers at a Wal-mart now I have over thirty of the ROTS figs, two 12" and a republic gunship to hold my troops.
Pete if you need a few more clone troopers I have some extras unopened.

Hurry back GI JOE 3 3/4 save me from Star Wars
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »

Quote from: ""Jon S.""
Believe it or not, it *is* possible to buy figures without army building.

Why not keep 2 or 3 elite guard to act as Vader's bodyguards?

That is why I only bought 2 Clone Commanders.  They look better for that purpose in comparison to the regular Clone jobbers.  

Quote from: ""morgardee""
What's this about free Yoda? Man, that sounds like a soda pop.

Drink Free Yoda! It's sugar free!

It’s the holographic version.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 63044&rd=1

I got three of him for free as TRU had buy 3 ROTS and get his so called rare Yoda free.

Quote from: ""BHT""
Pete, I'd advise 'hanging on' to them, and picking up the Troop Army builder pack for $30.00.

You get 4 figs for that price.

Then again, if you're gonna start Star Wars, I suggest you thin out your Joe Army builders. :shifty:

No interest in picking up any more ROTS.  Remember the Spy Troop packs for 3 CAN least year where I bought a boat load, only to end up selling/trading 99% of the figures I bought.  The Iron Grenadiers, Coils and Night Creepers couldn’t cut the mustard for me to keep them. I might be going through the same thing here.  By hanging on, do you mean keep them for a few years?  I am pretty sure Hasbro is going to milk the heck of the Clone Trooper mold.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »

Pfffft....Star Wars sucks.

;)

I'm pretty steadfast in my vintage only resolve and personally think that the ROTS figures are pretty weak in a variety of ways but i will say that it's great to see all you Joe guys sucked in this time around.  :lol:
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »

I picked up a Return of the Jedi R2-D2. He can serve drinks to Batman and my Joes.