JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Collecting days gone?  (Read 12571 times)

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »

This is more of a rant, and something I realized today.
I got nothing to collect anymore.

Star Wars
The huge amount of US star wars exclusives drove me from collecting that toy line - I know only pick up figs I really really like, and so far that is averaging about 2 per year.

Transformers
Only really ever "collected the alternators line, and since they are not showing up at retail in Canada, this line is basically dead to me as well.

Lord of The Rings
Now that the movies are done in the theatre, and the fact that the last two TRU's I was at had none-zip-nill on their shelves, I am guessing that my LOTR action figure buying days are gone as well.

GiJoe
Can't get these in Canada, and I am really hard pressed to pay a huge amount of money extra to get them shipped to me, add that to the fact that  if you don't jump on them the moment they are available at etailers that will ship to Canada they sell out.

Marvel Legends
The line only releases two waves a year - I do buy these, and will continue as long as I can, however the last batch of chase figures has been impossible for me to find, and again I find I am going to eBay to pay more and complete the ones I miss.

Wresting Figures.
Was never really into it, but since I got no other options??

I got so desperate lately, that I even went out and bought all of the Fantasitc Four Movie figures - and I am not really a big fan of them - never really liked movie character version for my comic book action figures.
So why am I still looking at TRU's,  why did I got there today?  am I still even a collector if I know I won't be able to find what I want to collect?
I got money in my pocket and nothing to buy?
Toy companies are you listening!!! I have money and I want to trade you it for some merchandise!!!!!

Is anyone else hitting the same wall that I am?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 11:00:53 PM »

And therein lies the problem of being a modern toy collector. With vintage, there's always something to find!
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 11:52:07 PM »

Try the Sota Street Fighter toyline or the Jazwares Megaman stuff.

While the Megaman figures aren't exactly "posable" (their joints pop and the limbs fall off if you try to move 'em too much) they look great on your shelf. The Street Fighter stuff was made with Marvel Legends compatibility in mind, so they're a great way to compliment your collection.

The Toy Biz WCW line also goes great with your 6" figures. But they're becoming harder and harder to find.

Last resort.... NECA action statues?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 09:03:58 AM »

Quote from: ""Jon S.""
The Toy Biz WCW line also goes great with your 6" figures. But they're becoming harder and harder to find.

The only thing my WCW figures are collecting is dust nowadays... :shifty:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 09:25:05 AM »

Other than GI Joes I have to get from the States, I am not missing much IMO for new toys in Canadian retail.  TF Alternators I will get from the States as they are worth it.  I will wait until some collector that has bought them already and wants to unload them.  I also did buy the TRU TR exclusives, and to this day, I am still pissed off I paid full retail price for these items when most of them were put on sale.  I am sure this line is dead.  I am not sheding a tear though.

I also buy the odd McFarlane Sports figure but only for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Pittsburgh Penguins (well it's only been Mario Lemieux so far) and Pittsburgh Steelers.  I looked thet other day a Legends Franco Harris and Big Ben will be made this year.  Yes!!!  I also bet Sidney Crosby for the Penguins will be made as well.  The problem with this line is that figures I like are freaking gone when they hit retail, especially Maple Leaf figures.  I am having a pain in the ass time finding Willie "Pops" Stargell from the MLB McFarlane legends line.

Star Wars toys didn't do anything for me.  I just bought some clone troopers and Vader from the ROTS line for mini display.  I have yet to take them out of package.  Marvel Legends, wrestling figures and other toys lines, I have no interest in.  Toys sure look like they are dying, mostly because of the video game industry.  Kids would rather

So most of my money when it comes to new toys as gone to GI JOEs.  But now I am burned out keeping up the line and have given up.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:34:42 AM »

The only thing my WCW figures are collecting is dust nowadays...

Well, if you wanna unload any of 'em...  :D

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 10:34:51 AM »

This has been my problem for some time now. I hate the hunt for new stuff. That is why I eBay alot and collect old action figures...hence my site about action figures...these older lines can be collected with ease. Sometimes I find figures mint on card that are 20 years old and get them for the original reatail price...who could not like that!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »

ebay....for new stuff...is where I draw the line.  Vintage and foreign figures are great for me but I wouldn't buy anything off ebay if it was just released in retail.  I think it defeats the purpose and helps scalpers.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »

I don't know Pete. I've managed to buy some of the newer Joes off ebay cheaper than cost. I will bid as high as cost, but not more so if people try to scalp and loose money, fine by me.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:01:54 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »

Depnds on the shipping cost.  Some sellers that take a loss will mark up the shipping cost to re-coup.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 04:36:24 PM »

But buying from the US, even with our Dollar up lately still doesn't add up, once you factor out the cost of shipping and then Customs adding their handling fee and tax on top - I know the option to get around that works for some, but really why should we have to go out of our way, lie to customs, get gouged on shipping, simply to buy Collector Toys.

Maybe it's just the heat getting to me, but man, toy collecting in Canada feels like it is at a low point.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Collecting days gone?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 06:44:47 PM »

Quote from: ""akpayne""
Maybe it's just the heat getting to me, but man, toy collecting in Canada feels like it is at a low point.

You need a trip to Bounty Hunter Toys. ;-)
Mike