JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Boxing Day Goodies  (Read 4341 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Boxing Day Goodies
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »

I normally don't do the 'Boxing Day' thing, but this year I was on a mission.

6:05am - Future Shop.

IT WAS PACKED.

To give you an idea, the parking lot was full, the car lot next door was full, the the Kelseys across the street was full.

Luckily someone left as I got there so I got a spot near the front.

I walked in saw people standing in line to pay for items.

From the cash, to the door, to the cash, along the side, along the backwall, down part ofthe computer wall.

JUST to pay for items.

I checked out TVs for a bit, picked up some DVDs (hid them to come back later).

And left.

7:00am - The Brick.

I have been eyeballing the Sony Wegas for awhile now, and decided that I would be buying one today.
They had the 55" Wega on sale for 2998.00. That's about $1000.00 off.
I grabbed a salesman, told him I wanted it, he rung it up - They have a 30 day rule - you can get all your money back with no problems. I left my $100.00 deposit and went to Hills.

7:30am - HILLS
Compelete and utter morons. No one seemed like they wanted to help me, and I'm assuming due to my 'attire' that day (Hot Rod T-Shirt, bandana, ripped Jeans), they thought they were wasting their time.
So I left.

7:45 - WALMART
Got in and went straight to the DVDs, grabbed a bunch that were 'reported' to be $20.00 each - they scanned up at full price so I left them.

Checked out the $20.00 box sets, and picked up Soap Seasons 1-4 (complete series), and Reba Season 1 for Denise.

Also picked up from their 2 for $10.00 section (EVERYTHING was scanning up at that price) the following:

Clash of The Titans
Romy & Michelles High School Reunion
Encino Man
Heartbreak Hotel
Goonies
Jerry McGuire

8:30 - HOME
Had to drive Denise to work for 9:00am, so I had breakfast and left.

9:00 - East Hamilton Radio
Found the Wega that I had put on hold at the Brick - It was $1.00 cheaper - Big deal. I hate EHR, so I was just there to compare prices and 'ask questions' I refused to give them my money unless they were $500.00 cheaper than the Brick.

10:30 - The SONY STORE
They had the same TV here, but it was $500.00 MORE than the Brick. WTF? These guys make them, they should be the cheapest!?
Made sure the one from the Brick was the EXACT one I've been looking at here at the Sony Store, talked to the guy I normally spoke to, and asked if he could MATCH (not beat) the Bricks price.

He couldn't do it. Not even close he said. He then asked me to hang on and ran to the back - came back out and SHOWED me what that TV cost them - $2922.00.

So I was getting my TV for basically cost.

11:00 - FUTURE SHOP (again).
No lines this time, no waiting.
I went in, looked at the 60" Sony Wega and decided that it was just TOO big. So I went looking for some DVDs.

Buck Rogers - Complete Series - $20.00 (Reg. 105.99)
Superbit: Spider-man - $16.99 (Reg. 32.99)
Superbit: Spider-man 2 - $16.99 (Reg. 32.99)
Superbit: Hook - FREE (Reg. 32.99) - Buy two Superbits, get one free!
Star Trek  : The Motion Picture - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)
Star Trek 2: The Wraith Of Khan - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)
Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)
Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)
Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)
Star Trek 6: Undiscoverd Country - $12.99 (Reg. 16.99)

12:00 - Bounty Hunter Toys
Picked up nothing.... just had to check the store and answer email. ;-)

12:30pm - HOME (again).
Went home and thought long and hard about if the 55" Sony Wega was the TV that I wanted.

So, I went to sleep and picked up Denise around 5pm before heading to my Fathers house for dinner.

At my Dads is where I decided 100% that it was the TV I wanted.

So today I opened 30mins late waiting for it, now I have to finish working here before I can go home and set it up. :-)

Anyone else get some great deals?

- Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »

Well, I can relate on the TV thing. I was CONVINCED I was going to buy the 42" Grand Wega LCD Projection tv (my room is too small for anything bigger). Until I saw that the 40" Sony Bravia LCD flat screen TV was on sale for $2999.

Damn,

So I bit the bullet. I have a beautiful 40" LCD TV in my basement now.  :D
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:55:35 PM »

I got Family Guy Vol 1 (Season 1 & 2) for $20. Everything else I got was your standard 20-25% off.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »

As for Boxing day deals:

went to Zellers and picked up :

DVD: Mr & Mrs Smith - $12.99
Pair of Levi's jeans for $24.97
Bunch of stuff for wife and baby

At Walmart picked up:

The hulk 2 disc - $5
The 6th Day 2 disc  - $10
Mighty Peking Man - $6

HMV DVD score:

Supersize Me  - $5.99
Amityville It's about time - $4.99
Amityville A new generation - $4.99
Exorcist: The Beginning - $5.99

BookDepot:

CRAPLOAD of hardcover books (mostly fantasy/horror) for $2 to $4 each. (Ended up spending $55)
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:46:08 PM »

Boxing day:

Woke up at 12:30 PM, didn't go shopping until 3:30 PM

Stopped by National Sports.  Eyed on getting another Pittsburgh Steeler jersey. All I saw was Ben Roethlisberger and Tommy Maddox jerseys. Pass.  Maddox will be 20 bucks by the time next year.

Headed over to the baseball section.  Picked up a Demarini softball bat.  Even with the 100 bucks off, the bat was still expensive.  With taxes, it went close to 400 bucks. This bat better have some magical homerun power  :shifty:  Any hoo, considering I was in 4 softball leagues last summer and probably used over 30 different types of bats, this was the first bat I actually felt comfortable with.

Headed home after that.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:29:53 PM »

My boxing day was a bit diferent. I learned something very important this year. I wanted a DVD burner for my TV (not my computer). On Christmas night I looked at the flyers that showed up on the weekend and started to look thru the boxing day sales. At Best Buy they had a DVD burner that looked pretty dect and at a good price. It was a Phillips player on sale for $179.99:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... FS10067745

Anyhow, that night (Christmas night at about 11:58 pm I jumped on my computer to see if it was in stock on line, and it was. Had free shipping and everything. Looked around on the web a bit and went to bed after 1/2 hour later. Told Sheryl about it. She asked if i bought it and I said "Nah, doesn't seem like it's in demand. Maybe I'll go look at it in person at the store tomorrow before I buy it". That was a mistake.

9:00 the next morning I stroll down to the computer in my rec room, fire up the same web link to see the item is sold out. Crap! So I didn't log off properly and I thought maybe it's still in the shopping cart. It sure was, but now the inventory tells me they have sold out. Gah! So I thought I'd race my butt out to the store. Well I hate crowds so when I saw cars parking the the grass hill near my local best buy I didn't even stop. I just went home.

So what I learned from all this? You can do your boxing day shopping on Christmas day or just after midnight from places like Bestbuy, without wrestling other people and get free shipping. Makes things a lot easier. That and next time I see a good deal like that I'm not going to waste time. I'm not that upset because DVD burners are still fairly new and I know they will all come down in price just like DVD players have. The first DVD player I bought was a floor model on sale for $400.00 from the Bay and that thing can't even play 1/2 of the newer DVD's that are out there now, yet a $40.00 player from Giant Tiger will play anything you throw at it including a slide show of digital pictures that you've burned onto a CD from your computer.

So what I did by the day after boxing day? Star Wars Battle front 2 for $38.xx from Walmart and after reading one of the posts here I bought Firefox on line from the future shop for Sheryl for $29.99.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BludChylde

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 08:19:13 PM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
So what I did by the day after boxing day? Star Wars Battle front 2 for $38.xx from Walmart and after reading one of the posts here I bought Firefox on line from the future shop for Sheryl for $29.99.

Star Wars Battle Front II for $38??? I can't find that game anywhere under $50 (and of course the Wally I went to had to be sold out).

I didn't get anything Boxing Day. Did my shopping on Wed (less of a crowd).

For DVDs managed to get Land of the Dead, From Hell and Puni Puni Poemy. For my PS2 I managed to get Battlefireld 2 Modern Combat. I had played the PC version of Battlefield 2 over at a friends house. And figured since I need a new video card and a memory upgrade before I could play that I'd just grab it for the PS2 (plus the $18 price tag helped). If the woman in the electronics department wasn't in such a hurry, I would have looked at the back for requirements and would not have bought it. Get home, go to play the game. Ok cool, it has an online mode...WTF doesn't have anything for non-online play. Great I have a game that I cannot return because it works, yet I cannot play because I live in an area where Bell couldn't guarantee we could get broadband within a century.

Toy wise, for the new Saga Collection I grabbed Bib Fortuna and Leia (Boussh Disguise). TF Cybertron I grabbed Red Alert and Override. Marvel Legends I grabbed a Cyclops (my 1st Sentinel now needs his left leg) and from ML 11 I got Wonder Man and Vengeance. Vengeance was royally screwed up so I'm hoping to get back into Belleville in the next week or two to return him. He was missing a shoulder spike and the upper right elbow joint is warped and the peg is too short to even attempt fixing.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:29:41 AM »

I scored Bishop, X-23, and Maestro from ML12 and a ML11 Scarlet Witch for 50% off the whole bunch. Tally came to $41. This was at a small toy store in 100 Mile House BC.

BludChylde

• View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:29 PM »

Quote from: ""ARROW""
I scored Bishop, X-23, and Maestro from ML12 and a ML11 Scarlet Witch for 50% off the whole bunch. Tally came to $41. This was at a small toy store in 100 Mile House BC.

Black or purple X-23?

I'd love to get my hands on a Scarlett Witch (Scarlett Mitch on other forums  :lol: ), but lack the money right now.

I know where I can get a couple of the other ML12's, so when I return Vengeance to TRU, I'm going to see if a friend of mine can lend me the $$$ grab them.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »

Purple version of X-23.
I actually did not want the character, swore up and down I wouldn't buy the character, but when the 50% off discount was offered.......well, that broke me.

BludChylde

• View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 06:49:30 PM »

Quote from: ""ARROW""
Purple version of X-23.
I actually did not want the character, swore up and down I wouldn't buy the character, but when the 50% off discount was offered.......well, that broke me.

Dammit. Any signs of the black X-23?

This is the first time I have ever managed to snag the variant. And I thank whoever screwed up the non-US cases for it. But it would be nice if the corrected cases would come out so I can get the regular black X-23.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Boxing Day Goodies
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »

Not seen the black version--apparently the skinny is that Canada got the purple VARIANT and the regular version is rare here and stateside they got the black version and purple is rare there.
Why that happened is anyone's guess.
The figure is not bad, its the character itself that is boring to me. Ah well, just some filler for the X-men shelf.