JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bounty Hunter Toys "BIG NEWS".  (Read 14092 times)

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Bounty Hunter Toys "BIG NEWS".
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 08:37:31 AM »

Quote from: ""Agent_Loop""
as well as sending prayers to me on his site when I had cancer.

Hezus on a pogo stick, I'd forgotten about that. Man, we have been through a lot together haven't we.

-  :chicken:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

beav

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pettifogging.com
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 08:46:17 AM »

Well, you guys could always form an investment group, buy the place from him and run it. :shifty:  Please?  Heck, I've only been once and wanted to go at least one more time. :-(

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 09:22:01 AM »

I'm in the same boat as a lot of us. We I'd make a service call to Hamilton I'd always try to make sure it was not on a Monday 'cause I know BHT wasn't open on Mondays, then I would talk to Mike for my whole hour long lunch break and then have to race back to Kitchener so work wouldn't notice me missing. Ah, good times.

On the other hand, my baby is due in 9 weeks so yeah, I can understand if Mike is thinking about starting a family then running the shop and not having someone other than Denise to step in would be near impossible. I never realized how much prep work goes into having a kid (Ed, no laughing at me  :shifty: ).

It's a shame that the store is going down but at least we had it for a while. You know there will be a time when we have more members join that never got to experience BHT and when we talk about it they are going to kick themselves for missing out.

Mike, I truly wish you the best. BTW, what is next for you?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »

And I was hoping to have the in person shopping experience this November.  

I am not shocked after seeing another vintage store owner in Edmonton transition from a full time store operator to a part-time store operator while having a full time job on the side.  My impression is that operating a toy store is somewhere between being a business owner and providing a public service.

Mike good luck to you in your future endeavour.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »

Thanks guys.

You know, I've been printing off the emails people have sent me today - most of them I actually want to keep!

I wish there was some way to print off the posts on this board in an easy format.....

For those wondering, yes I do have a job waiting for me when I close. I can start today, or in September - it's working for a friend.

He said the job is mine until i find another one - OR if I like it I'm welcome to keep it.

I've applied at some toy places as well.... lord knows I'm qualified! :lol:
I'd hope to get in with one of them (Hasbro, Grand, Irwin, Bandai, Mattel, etc).

Don't worry, I'll keep you all posted. ;-)

In the meantime, I'm really digging these emails and stories on how people found out about me and the store/site.... keep them coming!
Mike

Mike

BludChylde

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »

Good luck Mike. I was hoping to get working so I could actually buy some stuff off of the BHT website, looks like that won't happen now  :(

Redskull

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »

Quote from: ""BludChylde""
Good luck Mike. I was hoping to get working so I could actually buy some stuff off of the BHT website, looks like that won't happen now  :(

He has a good deal on right now, and I suggest you take advantage of it. I know I am.

Anyways I remember the first time I met Mike. That was in, I believe the Center Mall in Hamilton, where the Wal-Mart is located. He was running some toy show and I saw he had some super powers figures, this was when I was in grade 8. I got excited cause he had my favorite. DR. FATE!!! He made my a deal, and I got the figure. From then on I made deals with him, he would find a figure and what not and I would pick it up.

This was during my Star Wars phase, I imagine this being the beginnings of Bounty Hunter Toys, at least from Mikes end. I watched as his collection grew and finally became a store intself. I still have one of the original cards that he handed out with Boba Fett on it.

It sucks that its closing cause I loved the 2$ bin joes and the ability to purchase joes off the web. I don't know any other store in Hamilton that sells vintage joes on a regular basis.

Good luck Mike in your many endevors! :thumbsup:
If only you could see the world the way I see it, if only you could see the world through my eyes.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 08:51:17 PM »

damn, I've been out of it lately and then BAM the big news!

I wish you the best in your new carreer Mike.

I'm glad this site will still be operational, it would suck to lose what we have here. :thumbsup:
Say no to AFA.

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 12:10:27 AM »

i just found out about this from deadshot this past monday, since i'm away from my house. man i didn't know what to think at first. i thought deadshot was joking around with me when he told me that BHT was closing shop.

i remember the first time i stepped foot into BHT store and actually talk to the man himself who in my eyes is a legend in the vintage toys. i made one mistake when i first talked to mike, i told him that i knew a guy and he told me not to use his name in this store or i can just get out. lol
i was never so scared in my life when he said that  :(

the past three years that i have known mike, i would like to think of us as friends. i know for a fact that i will miss going to BHT just before the joe meet to see what mike had and what i wanted. i hope i will be able to make it out to the sale.

i know how you feel mike about raising a family and having a full time job other than the vintage toys. i have two boys and i have to work like a dog to make sure they have everything.

i wish you the best of luck with the new job and the family plans, just don't forget us here on this board and in person. thanks for everything mike

BHT will live forever in our hearts. :D  :thumbsup:
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

BludChylde

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:38 PM »

Quote from: ""Redskull""
Quote from: ""BludChylde""

He has a good deal on right now, and I suggest you take advantage of it. I know I am.

Dude, no matter how good of a deal Mike has going right now, I have no money right now. So unless he is willing to institute a buy now, I'll hunt ya down and make ya pay later ploicy, I can't take advantage of any deals.

Trust me if I had the money, I would be getting ahold of friends who have credit cards and place an order.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 09:08:36 PM »

Sorry for the delay in chiming in...but here goes...

I first met Mike at one of the Sherwood toy shows.  I was working a booth with a friend and Mike swung by to check out the wares.  He ended up buying a Japanese Tranformers Constructicon rip-off from me (which i beleive is still in BHT on one of the higher shelves.)  I just missed getting to the store on Gordon Drummond, and he was just moving into the new location when i first stopped in.  I think in that first day I spent a couple of hours in the store and chatting with Mike.  Personable.  A story teller.  A passion for the hobby and for all toys.  A kindred spirit!  

Between work and family, I wasn't always able to get to the shop, but when I did, it was like Cheers.  Didin't always buy something, but catching up with Mike and sometimes Denise was reason enough to put in an appearance.  

A couple of things that stand out:

A few years ago the window on my car was busted in two days before Christmas and I needed some quick cash to replace it.  I gathered up a bunch of stuff I had picked up at shows and garage sales and went to BHT.  Mike gave me $200 for what I brought in, which paid for my window, and I'm sure he didn't need all of it, but he was kind enough to hook me up.  In fact, he talked me into holding on to a couple of items that were really worth something, including a die-cast Star Wars Landspeeder that I'd had since I was kid.  "It's your childhood man, don't sell it"...or words to that effect.  I still have it...thanks Mike.

Another stand out was after the Joe Meet two years ago (the infamous one).  I helped Mike take all of the gear and whatnot back to the store afterwards, and we talked until well after Midnight about toys, the meet, GI Joe, and all kinds of other things.  I t was my first meet, and it was a blast!

I also have the distinction of helping to pimp BHT to the general public.  When Mike decided to advertise on the radio, he chose Y108 in Hamilton. At the time, I was a copy writer there and when I saw the contract come in, I volunteered to take the account.  Mike's ads were fun because he wanted them to be honest, and I think that came across.  "More fun than a poke in the eye" indeed!

Finally, my favourite connection to Mike is through marriage.  After knowing him for about a year, I was in the store one day talking about stuff like where we grew up and where we went to school, and we discovered that Mike actually went to school with my wife and brother-in-law back in the day.  He then told me a funny story of how him and a buddy once phoned my brother-in-law, and pretended to be radio dj's calling to award a pair of tickets to a Glass Tiger concert (which I thought odd, since Mike is a HUGE Northeern Pikes fan).  My brother in law, not the sharpest knife in the drawer at the time, was ecstatic to have won and of course felt like a total knob when Mike let him off the hook.

There's more I could say, but at this point it's a novel.  Suffice it to say that although I'm sad to see the doors close, I'm happy for Mike and Denise and what the future holds for them.  Thanks for being there and helping people relive their childhoods.  

That's something you can look back on with great pride.

Cheers!

Bryan
Wherever you go, there you are.

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:10 PM »

Man, I've been out of town and away from my computer for a week and return to this shocker. I've always wanted to visit your store Mike, as everyone who's been has made it sound so awesome. I guess you have to do what is best for yourself and your family. I wish you the best.