JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Is it my fault or the dealers?  (Read 9004 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Is it my fault or the dealers?
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:53:46 AM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
So if this happens in the future, is there a process in place to deal with this fraud I guess you would call it?  Are you able to black ball the dealer from future cons?

I wouldn't do that (I don't know who it is anyway), but I would hope that if that dealer set up again, and didn't make things right with Radio Guy, that Radio Guy would warn you all about him.

I have sent the dealer a PM and will let everyone know what his response is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Wherever you go, there you are.

master_stanley

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

He should refund your money, if you ask a dealer then he should be truthful if he does not know he should say so. I had a mms on my table many picked it up but every time I pointed out it was repaired. So in the end it didn't sell I keep saying it's been repaired in two spots it's only good for parts. If it was one figure then likely an accident but two looks fishy. I say bring the bellomo book around with you or check before leaving the show. Then you can set it right at the show, always ask to take the figure out of the container to check it anyone can do that with my stuff.

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"

The dealer is the "expert" on the dealer floor. You are basing your purchase of off information that he is supplying you. THEREFORE, if the dealer told you something was complete, and it's not - then they should either send you the part that is missing, or refund it and you mail it back.

It's true, you should have an idea how complete something is when you're shopping at a convention - but the dealer should know his stuff and if he doesn't, then perhaps he shouldn't be selling the items in the first place.

I agree with The Mike

As a dealer. I have always been honest and truthful. I know that as we all get older, memory starts to fail so that's why i always say if it is marked as complete then it is complete.
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »

Interesting topic.  What I found in my experience there was that some of the dealers had helpers.  No problem with that, but those folks, try as they might were not familiar with the toys which lead to a somewhat frustrating experience as a customer.  

There's one dealer I like because he has a well organized and extensive ARAH collection each year.  But he was busy with customers, and this one guy just would not move from the 1988 box - omg, I stood there for 5 minutes watching him and he was oblivious, just sifting through the dealer's goods.  I mean a little consideration is all I ask.  Anyways, the dealer was busy, this other customer was being a jerk, so I asked the helper if he had a figure so I cold speed things up and the dude had no clue - frustrating. I ended up not buying anything from this dealer this year.

I was looking for a Repeater and one dealer had him with his backpack - I pointed out he wasn't complete and inquired about his gun.  He thought it was complete (not sure why or how) but to his credit he tried to find Repeater in Mark Bellamo's guide.  Now I don't know if he was stressed with the amount of folks at his table, but the poor fella couldn't find him in the 1988 category and there was no point in asking his helper because he didn't have a clue about G.I. Joe.  I know what the gun looks like but I didn't want to stick around.

I know it can be a stressful environment, but I expect Dealers to know their goods, or at least higher help that are familiar with their goods.  Is that too much to ask?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:04:35 PM by Bandalero »

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »

Of course if the dealer was not truthful he is at fault.  If he claims something he needs to be certain.

However remember: "Caveat Emptor". Buyer beware.  To go into a show like this without knowledge or reference material is putting yourself at a disadvantage

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »

if you don't want to lug books around, you could always get a net capable mobile and look up figures on yo joe!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

master_stanley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
Interesting topic.  What I found in my experience there was that some of the dealers had helpers.  No problem with that, but those folks, try as they might were not familiar with the toys which lead to a somewhat frustrating experience as a customer.  

There's one dealer I like because he has a well organized and extensive ARAH collection each year.  But he was busy with customers, and this one guy just would not move from the 1988 box - omg, I stood there for 5 minutes watching him and he was oblivious, just sifting through the dealer's goods.  I mean a little consideration is all I ask.  Anyways, the dealer was busy, this other customer was being a jerk, so I asked the helper if he had a figure so I cold speed things up and the dude had no clue - frustrating. I ended up not buying anything from this dealer this year.

I was looking for a Repeater and one dealer had him with his backpack - I pointed out he wasn't complete and inquired about his gun.  He thought it was complete (not sure why or how) but to his credit he tried to find Repeater in Mark Bellamo's guide.  Now I don't know if he was stressed with the amount of folks at his table, but the poor fella couldn't find him in the 1988 category and there was no point in asking his helper because he didn't have a clue about G.I. Joe.  I know what the gun looks like but I didn't want to stick around.

I know it can be a stressful environment, but I expect Dealers to know their goods, or at least higher help that are familiar with their goods.  Is that too much to ask?

So let me get this straight you didn't buy from one guy because he was busy with customers and another customer was hording the 1980's box. So you blame the dealer and the person who was nice to help him or her? How much do you think we make at our tables we can't afford to pay people who are knowledgeable to come with us other then a couple of dealers with big stores like silver snail. Sorry but it's reality check time. My helpers where all voultary and one even had to pay to get in just so he could help load the boxes back up after the show. I seen lots of dealers there who where losing money on items they where selling. One guy paid $16.00 American for target exclusives and was selling them for $5.00 each to get ride of them. I agree if a dealer says it's complete then it should be but you guys expect to much from the dealers you also should be knowledgeable about what your buying. Also if the guy was to busy come back later just like if you don't like a line up in a store come back when it's less busy.

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »

Quote from: "master_stanley"
So let me get this straight you didn't buy from one guy because he was busy with customers and another customer was hording the 1980's box. So you blame the dealer and the person who was nice to help him or her? How much do you think we make at our tables we can't afford to pay people who are knowledgeable to come with us other then a couple of dealers with big stores like silver snail. Sorry but it's reality check time. My helpers where all voultary and one even had to pay to get in just so he could help load the boxes back up after the show. I seen lots of dealers there who where losing money on items they where selling. One guy paid $16.00 American for target exclusives and was selling them for $5.00 each to get ride of them. I agree if a dealer says it's complete then it should be but you guys expect to much from the dealers you also should be knowledgeable about what your buying. Also if the guy was to busy come back later just like if you don't like a line up in a store come back when it's less busy.

Okay I'm not sure why you're taking this personally, were you the dealer I was talking about?  Anyways let me dispell a few of your assumptions:

1. I know exactly what I'm looking for, 1988 Repeater has a steady-cam black machine gun.
2. The dealer that had him with a backpack said he was complete - not the case, but what got me was that he didn't know what the gun looked like and had to try to find it in the guide which he was unsuccessful at even though i told him the year '88.
3. The inconsiderate customer hogging the 1980s box had nothing to do with the other dealer or his helper  but added to my frustration.
4. Mike and a few other guys knew I was there for the morning only, and minus the 2 hours lining up, i circled the floor 5-6 times.  My stupid luck was the dealer was always busy with someone else.
5. Three times I inquiried about something to someone who looked available at three different tables and three times I was told - "sorry man I'm just watching the stuff" - it gets a little frustrating after the second time.

That was my experience.  And it's my honest opinion that if you're going to hire someone, hire someone that has some kinda inclination of the product they are "watching" that's all geez.

On the flipside there were other dealers there than knew their stuff.  I actually bought figures from one dealer because he knew what he had out and what he had in stock, he wasn't fumbling around for accessories or prices - go figure.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:05:22 PM by Bandalero »

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »

I tell ya, it seems half the stuff listed on ebay as complete is not.  At the con, I pulled out the book and checked it out.  Loved it by the way.  Never been in a room with so many cool joes for sale.

master_stanley

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
Quote from: "master_stanley"

Okay I'm not sure why you're taking this personally, were you the dealer I was talking about?  Anyways let me dispell a few of your assumptions:

1. I know exactly what I'm looking for, 1988 Repeater has a steady-cam black machine gun.
2. The dealer that had him with a backpack said he was complete - not the case, but what got me was that he didn't know what the gun looked like and had to try to find it in the guide which he was unsuccessful at even though i told him the year '88.
3. The inconsiderate customer hogging the 1980s box had nothing to do with the other dealer or his helper  but added to my frustration.
4. Mike and a few other guys knew I was there for the morning only, and minus the 2 hours lining up, i circled the floor 5-6 times.  My stupid luck was the dealer was always busy with someone else.
5. Three times I inquiried about something to someone who looked available at three different tables and three times I was told - "sorry man I'm just watching the stuff" - it gets a little frustrating after the second time.

That was my experience.  And it's my honest opinion that if you're going to hire someone, hire someone that has some kinda inclination of the product they are "watching" that's all geez.

On the flipside there were other dealers there than knew their stuff.  I actually bought figures from one dealer because he knew what he had out and what he had in stock, he wasn't fumbling around for accessories or prices - go figure.

No I was not the dealer you are referring to I don't need a book to identify my stuff when's it's joe related.

gsmiley007

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »

"I know it can be a stressful environment, but I expect Dealers to know their goods, or at least higher help that are familiar with their goods.  Is that too much to ask?"

You must remember, some of the  "dealers" are collectors like you and me...   If they have a helper - then they are extremely lucky.

I wasn't going to have a helper at all, but I found out that my cousin was able to help me.  I don't have the extra money to "hire" help.  So I wouldn't go blaming the dealers if their "family, spouse, girlfriend" are helping out for the simple stuff of collecting money and watching out for 5 finger discounts.

Dealers should know if a figure is complete or not - I agree, up to a certain year - as how many collectors know all the weapons that go on figures from 1992 and up?

As for dealers having to know what they have.   Would you know what you had exactly if you had this stuff?  I have literally thousands of accessories, and hundreds of figures - my $2 bin had at least 200+ figures in it.

I'm lucky enough just to keep the stuff as organized as I can, since this is not my full time job, like most other dealers in room.

This was some of the stuff I brought.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/gsmiley007/con%20stuff/?action=view¤t=IMG_7374Large.jpg

I would like to see if anybody could know the entire contents of all that is pictured there.  I would be extremely amazed.

Also, you never know, it could have been complete, but when a dealer wasn't looking - there could have been a 5 finger discount on the accessory or sometime it's just human error.  I fix up Radio Guy this year, he bought a complete tunnel rat off of me, but he said one flashlight was missing.  It was complete when I put it in the box, but maybe something happened to it or I thought it was complete, but I got distracted when putting him in the bag.  Lucky thing I had an extra and gave it to him this year.
Looking for
NF Charbroil Accessories
Starduster Figure
Hard Top with Mic
Heavy Metal Mic

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:59 AM »

and you're right, by no means am I trying to start a "us vs. dealers war".  I absolutely agree that at least from 1982-1992 dealers should have a handle on accessory identification. I'll say that I'm about 95% confident in my figure accessory identification for that era and I'm just a collector.  Now vehicle accessories on the other hand is harder for me because growing up I didn't have many vehicles to begin with - but I'd probably be able to ID about 80-85% of those on the spot.

But I'm giving you guys the benefit of the doubt - it's a stressful situation when you have 10 customers crowding your table, thousands of little pieces of plastic to identify, not your full-time job, and keeping an eye out for 5-finger discounts.

And in retrospect, I should have clued-in as to why there was someone available, not dealing with customers, because they probably told everyone they were "just watching the stuff" too.  

Still I do aprpeciate the effort you guys put into setting up for shows like this.

P.S. from that pic you linked to, you're the dealer I like to visit each year!