JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Nightforce figures  (Read 3019 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Nightforce figures
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »

Just wondering if anyone knows why the '89 Nightforce figs are so pricey.  I assume that it has to do with a small production run, but they're so much more than other figs from that time or the other subsets (tiger force, etc)...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Wherever you go, there you are.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Nightforce figures
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »

Some of the other subsets were available at Wal-marts and other retailers but I am pretty sure Night Force was strictly TRU. Finding nice copies of the figures may be harder because the quality was terrible, but that's just a guess. I mean, they are ok but definitely all downgraded in quality from the figures they are repaints of. I was pretty frustrated when all those repaint lines came around because being a ten year old kid I had no car to drive to TRU nor any money to spend above my $5/week allowance.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »

good poiint...i didn't think about limited availability.  admittedly, i had stopped buying Joes by 1988 ( I was 17) and wasn't even aware of nightforce or other re-paints until years later.  The last Joe items I bought were the Awe Striker, Snow Serpent and the Cobra Rifle Range, so 1985 was pretty much when I stopped...If I had known what they'd cost me 24 years down the road, I'd have kept buying them!...lol

Canuklehead

• View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:38 PM »

Speaking as someone who likes cool sounding toys, "Night Force" sounds cooler than the other sub-forces.  I'd choose a Night Force dude over others just for the name alone.  Could be that there are more people out there thinking the same thing... 

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »

Also, compare the '89 Night Force figures to their 88 counterparts. They are almost all an improvement over the original paint scheme. Tiger Force and Python Patrol are novelty repaints at best, but Night Force is dynamic and useful.
Updated!

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:19 PM »

it also could have been that this was the wind-down of the Joe's heyday...soon neon colours, weird villains (Headman, I'm looking at you) and Star Brigade would be on the scene and alienate many early fans.

Just wish they were easier to find, and a little less costly...

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
Speaking as someone who likes cool sounding toys, "Night Force" sounds cooler than the other sub-forces.  I'd choose a Night Force dude over others just for the name alone.  Could be that there are more people out there thinking the same thing... 
They not just sounds cooler, they really are! I have Outback, Shockwave, Falcon and Crazy legs (all complete) from the NF and I love them. I paid a lot (too much) for them, Falcon and Outback now have broken elbow, but I can't see my team without them.

It's strange how Shockwave color scheme doesn't fit with the rest of the NF group. In my Joe universe, Shockwave is making a team with Snake Eyes and Low Light. The 2008 con exclusive Low Light and Shockwave are the 2 latest NF members.

Martin

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:51:11 PM »

Quote from: "Kronz"
Some of the other subsets were available at Wal-marts and other retailers but I am pretty sure Night Force was strictly TRU. Finding nice copies of the figures may be harder because the quality was terrible, but that's just a guess. I mean, they are ok but definitely all downgraded in quality from the figures they are repaints of. I was pretty frustrated when all those repaint lines came around because being a ten year old kid I had no car to drive to TRU nor any money to spend above my $5/week allowance.

TRu exclusives.  I think the cost is strictly due to low production run...
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »

This line is pretty frustrating in ways other than inflated cost on the after market. For one thing the vehicles they put out were cheap quality and have terrible orange accents and glow in the dark stickers. The figures are better quality than Slaughters Marauders but for some reason most of the best characters were used in SM and TF instead of NF. If I recall some of these repaint lines were done on the cheap in the Brazilian factory. And it's weird Night Force was nearly all pegwarmers from the previous years painted bette paired with decent figures that didn't really need repainting. I probably didn't buy them at the time on account of avoiding extra Sneak Peaks, Psyche Outs and Lightfoots. Falcon, Outback, Tunnel Rat and Shockwave are all amazing and I can see why people fork out for them but the rest of the line is pretty baffling.

Also it may be worth noting that a fair amount of NF Repeaters and Shockwaves were sold with no original accessories by Hasbro Direct. That says, to me, that finding either or those guys with all their gear will be very difficult. Repeater may actually use the same weapon set as his tan edition but I am having trouble confirming it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:06:35 AM by Kronz »

Canuklehead

• View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »

Quote from: "Kronz"
Repeater may actually use the same weapon set as his tan edition but I am having trouble confirming it.

According to YoJoe.com, yes he does.  The only difference is that the NF backpack is dark green.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/89/repeater2.shtml