JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Stop the HST in Ontario  (Read 4645 times)

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the HST in Ontario
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

It was signed into Law several months ago, about the only thing that could be done about it is an election were a new government was put into power with a majority, and they decided to change the law.
The likelihood of any new government changing the tax laws at this point would be political suicide.
The PST division is already well under way of being totally dismantled - all of the employees have been issued their severance cheques (even though they have been moved to the HST devision).  New contracts would have to be drawn up, and severance payments would again have to be paid out to move those same employees from the HST back to a newly established PST.  Also no government is going to give up tax money so easily.
Think back to Mike Harris, when he won the election by basically promising to get rid of the perceived tax grab that was Photo Radar.
We no longer have photo radar, but in order to pay for things and balance a budget we also non longer own the 407, among other things.

I vote every election, but I am a firm believer that we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Politicians don't run the government, bureaucrats do... and they are not elected and don't change because of an election.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

Well I hope this will teach all those who voted that idiot in for a second term.  Even Trudeau would be rolling over in his grave if he witnessed this bastardization of government.
 I thought the municipal pesticide ban was bad enough.  For those who argue in favour of that ban: case and point a five year old girl not two weeks ago in a local park was running, tripped, fell and landed face first into a thistle weed.  Her face was covered in thistles, one close to her right eye.  My neighbor witnessed the whole incident.  Alternative pluck every weed out of the parks and playgrounds manually causing divots and countless man hours charged to the tax payer.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
HST?
Provincial Sales Tax (PST) + Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) = Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)

I hope this helps you Sundance
Lurking

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

I don't think the words "Harmonized" and "Tax" should ever be included in the same sentence, much less the same phrase!  You guys have my sympathy.  I take it this was yet another BS law that was passed sneakily, and that no one heard about until it was too late?
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

The HST was never an election issue.  Dalton and his band of assclowns brought the HST out of now where. 

I can't wait for the day where a real democratic process is introduced, one where we the people vote online to make these decisions instead of these assclowns who go into business for themselves. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:36:38 AM »

thanks bandonov
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »

Well  on the BC front, the noHST campaign might work.  While only needing 10% the organizers are trying to get 15% signed on.
Five weeks in with 8 to go, out of 85 ridings, 56 have 10% of which 34 have hit the 15% mark.

BC might win this fight, I hope Ontario can find a loophole or have a politician with the balls to stand for the people and fight the continued type of taxation that hurts those more affect than the people who's pockets it will fill.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia