JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2006 MC convention: New Orleans  (Read 4346 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
2006 MC convention: New Orleans
« on: December 29, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »

In the next newsletter, expect to see:

Here is the news you all have been waiting on. We just signed the contract for the 2006 G.I. Joe International Convention. We are going to New Orleans June 29-July2! I have visited the city twice... and I assure you that all the areas that we will be visiting are fully functional. We will be at the Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street with a special rate of $119. This is a great opportunity for us and for our hobby to help New Orleans rebuild. What they need now is visitors to come back."

so....

a) who is going?

b) who was planning on going until they heard New Orleans?

I promised someone that I would go and will.  New Orleans wasn't on the top of my list, regardless of the hurrricane damage.  The convention from what I know will be in the french quarter, where it got minimal damage.  Something still doesn't feel right here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »

Might as well be to bring some tourist bucks into New Orleans. But I won't be going in 2006.

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »

I'm thinking  about it. ... it all depends on  the cash flow.  

The real question is.. do  i drive.. or do I fly?   If i drive  i can act as  a mule again for  anyone who wants a set.   Sure i could mail my packages back if i fly..... hrmmm i dunno.  

If i fly   costs more $$   unless someone knows of a cheapo  flight  

oooh and i have to get a passport  now... yippie  more  $$  

Not 100%  sure yet.. i need to  see the  exclusives  yet as well.
Zinthos.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:06:16 PM »

West coast and north of the Mason Dixon line and I'm there. Keep it on the south or the west coast, and I just can't see spending the time or cash. I'll take the all inclusive to Cuba for the same price kthnx.

You couldn't get me into New Orleans right now at gunpoint. Junkies and murderers aside, Pete should know better than most the most significant reason why - I have a mild allergy to massive environmental contamination.

Hey Pete, maybe you should bring your sample kit. :wink:

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 12:03:43 AM »

Quote from: ""Deadshot""
The real question is.. do  i drive.. or do I fly?   If i drive  i can act as  a mule again for  anyone who wants a set.   Sure i could mail my packages back if i fly..... hrmmm i dunno.  

If i fly   costs more $$   unless someone knows of a cheapo  flight

According to Air Canada, the cheapest flight will be around 600 bucks.  Damn gas prices.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 12:14:41 AM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
West coast and north of the Mason Dixon line and I'm there. Keep it on the south or the west coast, and I just can't see spending the time or cash. I'll take the all inclusive to Cuba for the same price kthnx.

So Charles doesn't want to go to both American west coasts  :lol: [/quote]

And make a 4 day trip into 4 years.  They are so screwed in terms of environmental contam it's not even funny.  Plus I have enough environmental work in Canada`to keep me busy. :D  Anyways, try explaining those instruments to customs.  The idiots don't know what a beard trimmer is.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 01:59:31 AM »

I'm getting my easts and wests screwed up. Which side has California and Microsoft? I hate that side. :shifty: [/quote]

And make a 4 day trip into 4 years.  They are so screwed in terms of environmental contam it's not even funny.  [/quote]

Honestly, I do have environmental allergies, so I'm reasonably sure that even a few days there would destroy me. A little black mold due to the flooding in my basement made it bad enough that I couldn't spend more than a few hours down there. I can't imagine how bad it'll be in the summer. The smells alone...

But I know that one of the reasons that you are going is to back up CabanaJack. That's cool.

Just don't forget your mask...

-  :chicken:

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 03:08:24 AM »

Now it makes sence.  I was think more of hydrocarbon/solvent contamination.

So your in the 3% group....the percentage of people who are sensitive to mould contamination. Funny, all mould related inspections, testing, legislation (or lack there of) and general questions for abatement in the office get thrown at me.  And yet I have a mould problem at home and can't get rid of it.   I have 5 areas in the basement I am keeping an eye on for mould to re-surface on painted cinder block walls.   Spent day 1 of my vacation cleaning up this crap.  Since the basement has never flooded, I am having a hard time trying to figure out the moisture source.  I have to check on these areas once a day as mould growth can appear in 24-48 hrs.      

Worse comes to worse, I can stop by if I am in the area to assess your problem.  Mine is under control for now.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 01:46:44 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
Worse comes to worse, I can stop by if I am in the area to assess your problem.  Mine is under control for now.

Thanks for the offer, but my wife (the MOE officer) actually used to do that for a living. :lol:

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 12:40:32 AM »

Well I've been to the last two cons in Florida and Minnesota but am not so sure about New Orleans. The cons are great for meeting up with friends you've made and friends you'll make. All the people I've gotten a chance to meet have all been pretty awesome and quite friendly. So, it's always great to get a chance to meet up with them again if possible. If it were just about the figs and souvenirs, I'd just order the Homefront hero package.

If I'm going to attend a convention, I'd like for there to be other things to do while I'm there. The Orlando con was awesome because I finally got a chance to go the Disney and attend a con. There was a lot to do there to keep me entertained that I missed a lot of the con stuff. Though it was hard for the wallet. I did get to attend some of the seminars, meet quite a few people on the various boards and spend some time on the slaes floor.

At Minneapolis, it good and bad. The turnout seemed to be quite smaller though. There weren't any activites provided by MC. The texas hold'em charity thing didn't count. Also, there wasn't much to do there outside the convention. I went to the Mall of America which was pretty far from the hotel. It was big, but nothing to special. The whole area around the hotel/downtown area was really boring as there wasn't anything to do. I got to meet up with some of the guys I met at the previous con and got to hang out with them. I also met some more new faces. The dinner sucked though.

I'm really on the fence with this year's con. After all that's gone on in NO, I'm not so sure it's a great place to hold a con. Also, I'm not sure it's a place I want to be or visit right now. I know we are getting all kinds of stories from there. Some saying it's out of hand and others who defend NO saying it's as usual. The truth is nothing is really going to change from now until the convention. It'll take literally years to restore everything. The whole place is polluted and there's garbage everywhere. There's been so much loss and so much tragedy.

Some say the area of the con is ok shape, but I'd like to go around and see the city, but if there's nothing to see and I have to stay secluded in the hotel then I really don't want that. Had the hurricane not hit, I'd most likely head there for the con this year. It was a place I would have like to have visited. I am worried slightly about crime, but moreso of the state of NO.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 02:38:41 AM »

Is it me or is MC doing the convention in NO to get some cheap publicity in the news? It still doesn't make any sence to hold it in that area in 2006.

I guess the only measuring stick will be when Mardi Gras rolls around in the next few months.   If that is considered a failure.....

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »

The NO locale was chosen well in advance of the Katrina hurricane--the reason why it took so long to finalize the arrangements was because the hurricane put doubts into the hotels ability to host the event. Once that was clarified and confirmed the decision was made to continue with NO as the hosting city. Folks that live there say great progress has been made on the cleanup and by the time the convention rolls around any attendees will like not see ANY of the damage, unless they go looking for it.
There's lots to see and do there, and a lot of it has survived the hurricane intact.

There is a lot of knee-jerk reactions and misinformation floating around about the location and the convention event itself. if anyone is interested in going, talk to as many folks as possible who LIVE in that area, as well as travel agents etc to gauge whether or not to make the trip.
My sources say it'll all be just fine.