JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: "CHROME" Hiss Tank.  (Read 5252 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
"CHROME" Hiss Tank.
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

As seen here:

http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid=350999

and here:

http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid=351547

Current discussions have it pegged as most likely a custom (lunch time special), or possibly a con exclusive.

I'm hoping for a Sky Patrol vehicle!!!! (not very likely).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: "CHROME" Hiss Tank.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »

Lunch Time Special?? I've never heard that phrase before?....

Oh, and I think it looks awesome.

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

That does look really awesome! I guess it could be used as Sky Patrol. I had forgotten all about SP and how they were chromed vehicles and at first I was thinking "why would a Hiss Tank be used for a Sky Patrol? It doesn't fly". Then I guess my morning coffee kicked in and I understood.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Looks better than I thought it would.  "Chromed" toys usually look god-awful and I was preparing myself for the worst...  But that's not half-bad. 

Still don't get why a HISS tank would be Sky Patrol, though...  Apart from the HAVOC (which had a hovercar) the Sky Patrol vehicles with aircraft...

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

It's a Cylon Hiss Tank  1980's Cylons anyway.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
Lunch Time Special?? I've never heard that phrase before?....

Oh, and I think it looks awesome.

There are multiple phrases for this kind of possibility.  I just used "lunchtime special."

It references the custom toys, or replicas that come out of China.  Usually someone will take the opportunity to use equipment in a factory to make a small amount of toys, either behind the backs, or with a bribe of the factory.  "Lunchtime special" is just one of many, probably referring to making a run while everyone is on their lunch. 

It happens a lot with Transformers toys, but it could very well be happening now with GI JOE.

There are a ton of possibilities.  It could even very well be a SDCC exclusive!?!?

GOLD5

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »

Ya, lunchtimes are usually also either clear or some strange color. They show up occasionally on ebay, and sell for a lot. Just search ebay for -clear Optimus Prime-, or some such term, and expand the search to show completed listings. Takara said once that they know how the lunchtimes are produced, but can't do anything about it, so I would think they just bribe the factory floor managers. The interesting thing is that to make a complete Convoy, for example, they would need lots of different parts from different stages of the line, like the rubber tires and springs in the missiles. So just one guy working at the factory probably wouldn't have access to enough of the parts to make a whole figure without permission of somebody. Maybe they are test shots or promotional for executives or something.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:52 AM »

A person could reverse-mold a figure, couldn't he?  Take apart a figure, piece by piece - make a mold of each piece - then re-cast the new figure with whatever colour he wanted...

Like Gold5 said, there are a lot of steps to making a toy, let alone a line of toys...  If they're using factory equipment, they can't just do it when everyone's back is turned.  There would have to be a LOT of people in on it

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
A person could reverse-mold a figure, couldn't he?  Take apart a figure, piece by piece - make a mold of each piece - then re-cast the new figure with whatever colour he wanted...

Like Gold5 said, there are a lot of steps to making a toy, let alone a line of toys...  If they're using factory equipment, they can't just do it when everyone's back is turned.  There would have to be a LOT of people in on it

Just remember this is mainland China.  The land of no action against copyright infringement.  The land of lead paint toys, tainted milk, etc, etc.  It is more than likely the people doing this had help from on high somehow.

Supposedly reverse engineering a mold is expensive.  However I can't see how a HISS would be that difficult to do, it has what 8-10 pieces?

I guess we'll know soon what this HISS is supposed to be.

GOLD5

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »

I was thinking.. Maybe they are just saying, lets test this chroming process, what are we running right now? OK make chrome HISS tanks and Storm Shadows. Then they look at them and when they get the mix right they will make Visionaries 2010 or something. Then they would just privately sell the chrome HISS tanks on eBay and send their kids to college with the profits. Otherwise why line them up for a photo group shot photo like that? Unless to show how they look to the executives? Or maybe there will be a chase variant HISS tank like the blue mercenary Wraith. Lord knows we could use some variety if they are only ever going to give us the first wave vehicles. If what they are saying is true about equal amounts of things being made and how we should just wait until they come in to stock (i.e., DVD set vol 5) then imagine how many Firebats there will be 4 years from now.. I just don't believe it. There won't be time until the movie comes out for us to get these waves. We will be getting resolute 5 pack and 2 packs though. They are listed for end of April (same time as show air) shipping in the Diamond Previews catalog so any comic shop can get them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:19:59 PM by GOLD5 »

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

Quote from: "GOLD5"
Ya, lunchtimes are usually also either clear or some strange color. They show up occasionally on ebay, and sell for a lot. Just search ebay for -clear Optimus Prime-, or some such term, and expand the search to show completed listings. Takara said once that they know how the lunchtimes are produced, but can't do anything about it, so I would think they just bribe the factory floor managers. The interesting thing is that to make a complete Convoy, for example, they would need lots of different parts from different stages of the line, like the rubber tires and springs in the missiles. So just one guy working at the factory probably wouldn't have access to enough of the parts to make a whole figure without permission of somebody. Maybe they are test shots or promotional for executives or something.

Well the level of corruption in Chinese factories is legendary. Its not been unheard of that parts of orders or even entire molds have gone "missing" to be sold out the back door by unscrupulous factory owners. Toy companies regularly have to send supervisors overseas to check up on factories to prevent this sort of thing, but they are not over there all the time
( and while the cat's away, the mice all tend to play....).
 If someone came along and offered enough pocket money to one of these owners, I'm sure it would be very easy for them to "request" the assembly line to work on something "special" for part of a shift--or look the other way while some completed product was put on a forklift into a truck.

Supposedly reverse engineering a mold is expensive.  However I can't see how a HISS would be that difficult to do, it has what 8-10 pieces?

I don't think there'd be any re-engineering of molds......they'd steal them outright, or just used old and discarded one ( and they would modify them molds to produce fewer parts.  Fewer parts equal less cost, and more profit. 3 point articulated knock-off toys anyone?)
The molds only last for a certain number of pressings before they are tossed--because the molten plastic is chemically corrosive over time to the metal molds. If they can get a several thousand more pressings out of a discarded mold, who cares if the parts that are cast are less then perfect, right? They don't, and its simply a way to make more money to them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:48:24 PM by ARROW »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:01:41 AM »