JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 12" figures help needed  (Read 3501 times)

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
12" figures help needed
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

Hey Guys,

I need some help with figuring out what 12" figures i have and what weapons go with them. Yo Joe's archive is not helping me since they do not have a lot of pictures.

does anyone know of a good archive to look for these figures and any other 12" figures?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: 12" figures help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

Which figures do you have?

Knowing or seeing what you have will go a long way toward helping ID what accessories go with what figure.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:29 AM »

i have a book that i can let you use, it might help, its called The Complete Encyclopedia to GiJoe 2nd edition, by Vincent Santelmo, and covers every gi joe and accessory from 1964-1997.

i can drop it off sometime this week, if you want.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »

Quote from: "condor knight"
Hey Guys,

I need some help with figuring out what 12" figures i have and what weapons go with them. Yo Joe's archive is not helping me since they do not have a lot of pictures.

does anyone know of a good archive to look for these figures and any other 12" figures?

Thanks

Are you talking ARAH 12' figure or Adventure Team stuff?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »

Quote from: "dodge822"
i have a book that i can let you use, it might help, its called The Complete Encyclopedia to GiJoe 2nd edition, by Vincent Santelmo, and covers every gi joe and accessory from 1964-1997.

In the 12: collector circles, Santelmo's name is somewhat poorly regarded. His books are known to be full of inaccuracies, and several downright fabrications and false claims. Not a terribly good source to use to identify stuff with.
There ARE some fan sites that have catalogued various GIJOE sets and parts, and some better books out there, but it depends on which era of the 12" Joes one is talking about.

There are consider to be 6-9  eras:

-Original military services & Soldiers of the World-- early 64 to about 1970
-Adventures Of, Adventure Team, and Defenders-- 1970 to about 1978
-Hall of Fame, 30th Anniversary, 50th Anniversary( of WW2)--1992 to about 1995
-Classic Collection-- about 1997 to 2002
-Masterpiece Edition, Timeless Collection, 40th Anniversary-- about 1998 to 2005
-Post-40th: Walmart Joes & Club exclusives --about 2004 to present.
- And throughout all these: the Action Man items with have 3 distinct eras themselves.

None of these include the Super Joes, 3 3/4" Joes, Extreme, Sigma Six or Sgt. Savage.

If one is talking about the classic era, namely the original military figures, there is the confusion of the original Action Man figures which were essentially repros of the Joes from that era--and can have different markings-- and then subsequent releases such as the 30th, 40th, 50th WW2 anniversary, Timeless, Masterpiece edition etc.  All have differences but enough similarities that one needs to know how to tell them apart.

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
Quote from: "dodge822"

In the 12: collector circles, Santelmo's name is somewhat poorly regarded. His books are known to be full of inaccuracies, and several downright fabrications and false claims. Not a terribly good source to use to identify stuff with.
There ARE some fan sites that have catalogued various GIJOE sets and parts, and some better books out there, but it depends on which era of the 12" Joes one is talking about.

There are consider to be 6-9  eras:

-Original military services & Soldiers of the World-- early 64 to about 1970
-Adventures Of, Adventure Team, and Defenders-- 1970 to about 1978
-Masterpiece Edition, Timeless Collection, 40th Anniversary-- about 1998 to 2005
-Post-40th: Walmart Joes & Club exclusives --about 2004 to present.
- And throughout all these: the Action Man items with have 3 distinct eras themselves.

None of these include the Super Joes, 3 3/4" Joes, Extreme, Sigma Six or Sgt. Savage.

If one is talking about the classic era, namely the original military figures, there is the confusion of the original Action Man figures which were essentially repros of the Joes from that era--and can have different markings-- and then subsequent releases such as the 30th, 40th, 50th WW2 anniversary, Timeless, Masterpiece edition etc.  All have differences but enough similarities that one needs to know how to tell them apart.

Most of them i think are from:

Action Man there is about 15 figures

so the book that dodge has is not any good?
Come visit my store at

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »

Most of them i think are from:

Action Man there is about 15 figures

so the book that dodge has is not any good?

To be fair, its iffy.   Not completely so, but enough that some buyers might call you on things if you go strictly by Santelmo's stuff.
If you are set on being accurate for selling the stuff, then you'd probably have to cross-reference it with other books or web-site info.
The best reference sources on this tend to show the items in package, or beside the package--and a lot of those are online in the form of reviews or sites about those sets.
I know there is , or used to be, a site that listed all the 40th Anniversary sets, for example, with pics.

Now for the headache: There's differences between the Timeless, Masterpiece, and 40th Anniversary stuff--even though they are essentially all SUPPOSED to be much the same stuff ( namely repros of the original military stuff). And if you have any of the 40th Anniversary Action Man stuff mixed in there.......again, the "experts" out there can spot it.

That is where the work comes in to it. I'm not Joe-savvy enough to ID that material, but I can ID certain stuff like some of the Classic Collection, Hall of Fame etc. Like I said, posting pics would go a long way toward starting the process for you.

If you just want a "quick and dirty" sale, yeah, go ahead and use the Santelmo book as is, and let the buyers beware.

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

these will be going on my site once i have them figured out. but i might just take some pictures and post the link here and see what you guys can figure out for me.

I am totally a rookie with 12"
Come visit my store at

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

I'm not that great with 12' stuff either but I love to buy it if it's a good price and AT stuff.

I don't really care for ARAH 12' stuff.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »

If anyone has not already guessed, I've been a big 12" collector for a while.
I've got about 450-500 12" figures, so I could probably help out with the identification, or at least point to sources that can.

I've collected all throughout the period that Condor Knight has items on, and while I don't have everything from over the past 20 years--I did buy a helluva lot of it.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
I've got about 450-500 12" figures

WOW, that is some collection!
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »

Hal, when you do get it listed on your web site, make sure to post it over here. I'd like to see what you have.