JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 12 and 3 3/4 figure lines going into retirement  (Read 12068 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
12 and 3 3/4 figure lines going into retirement
« on: February 19, 2005, 05:38:20 PM »

I had a hunch this Sigma line was going to be bad new for 12" and  3 3/4" collectors.

According the mastercollector newsletter (somebody copied the info on Joesightings thread),
As many of you may or may not know by now, after this Spring, the 12” and 3 3/4” versions of G.I. Joe have been put into retirement for a while. Hasbro is creating a new version of G.I. Joe in an 8” size called G.I. JOE SIGMA SIX

This means only one thing for me....................my wallet and my completist disease goes in retirement as well Hasbro.  Unless, Hasbro sprinkles us with a TRU exclusive pack once in a while with the Sigma line, I am done collecting.  The question is if the 3 3/4 joes" break is a long one (say like the NHL lockout), I may never come back to collecting. You your going to have to win me over.  Close out the lights, the party is over me. It was fun while it lasted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »

They might as well...With the new Marvel 4" figures entering the 1:18 world, as well as other licences like the Evil Dead, Batman/Microman, and Aliens and the USMC, some collectors' wallets need a break from GIJoe repaints.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »

I agree. I'm done when they end it in the fall. I'll watch the cartoon if we get it here and maybe even pick up one of the figures if for some reason Canada gets them but there is no way I'm getting this on line.
There is only  so many times I can be pulled back in. Sheryl and I are talking about having kids, so this will end it for me. If they bring back Joe 4 or 5 years from now, will it be a watered down version of what we had in the 80's or a watered down version of what we have know, which is an already watered down version from the 80's?
Besides, these not being in Canada has gotten to the point where I'm starting to get offended.
Come the fall I'm gonna have a lot more spare money I think.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:04:21 PM »

I don't care if I get in shit for this, if Hasbro cance;'s the 3 3/4inch line I only got one thing to say

FUCK YOU HASBRO
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »

I didn't know swearing filters were on lol. But F U Hasbro is correct in my books.  I need that bar of soap has Hasbro just used me and other collectors for the past few years.

I think Star Wars and the upcoming movie has something tio do with this.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 10:18:27 PM »

Ah for fuck sakes.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 12:01:01 AM »

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...I am no longer hungry!!! :|

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
hmm
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm kinda glad the 3 3/4" stuff will be finished for an undetermined period of time.  I bought a second shelving unit for my collection and it's still not enough!  I have too many toys...and I haven't even bought like 10% of what's been available 3 3/4"-wise since Joes have become available at retail again in 1997.  I guess there's some collectors here who collect for completion (or near completion)...me, I'm finding that the more figures I get, the less I care about them.  When I was a kid I had 4 Joes.  That's it!  And I played with them like crazy.  Loved 'em to death!  Now I have over 150 and they collect dust.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a big 3 3/4" Joefan.  I don't think I'll ever get really sick of collecting/displaying/reading comics/watching 'toon episodes.  But being forced by Hasbro to stop buying their plastic army figures for a few years isn't all bad :thumbsup:
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: hmm
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 12:27:22 PM »

Quote from: ""Colonel Abernathy""
I guess there's some collectors here who collect for completion (or near completion)...me, I'm finding that the more figures I get, the less I care about them.

Well then your a "completist" like me (and Stealth Viper was in that boat until Hasbro drowned him last year lol).  I am looking forward to a break as well. I was burned out a couple times in the past years to keep up.  Honestly, it wasn't fun and didn't enjoy the figures I got.   I am free.  

I mentioned this on joesightings and I pounced on by saying wave 7 was released way to early (wave 6 came out in December).  There was way too much product being released in short periods of time.  What does Hasbro expect the collector to do...buy them all at once?  It's their fault as they took out the vasoline and took it from Walmart and Target to get more product in to beef up their quarterly reports for the stocks.            

But what will this mean for future convention items from Mastercollector?  If Savage is committed on making those items, that would be more than enough to satisfy my GI JOE collecting bug.

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »

At least with the main line ending, I'll be able to DEFINITELY afford the convention figure set (it was looking iffy there).  

No way I'm pulling out of this hobby.  NEVER.  I'll just not have to get online so many times a day since the boards wn't be as active...  or a few less reasons to hit the stores around here, but I'm staying right where I am: in a hobby and online community that I love.  

Hasbro, I'm not gonna go tell you to fuck yourselves, I don't think this is THAT big a deal (bullshit, yeah, but not lifethreatening)...  You jokers are just saving me a lot of money now.   And if I never find that damnable wave 6 here, I guess that'll be a little more saved.   :thumbsup:

you guys could make me an 8" S6 Zartan thougj, ya know.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 07:29:34 PM »

Everybody is pissed at Hasbro :) So am I! They just put my favorite toy of all time in the closet to bring these new 8 inch posers to the shelves and the tv screen!!!

Hey! More money in my pockets...I might focus on microman instead of gi joe ...dang! I hate this.

I thought that they'd only stop the rah 12 inch line but with all the posts I read, it seems like old original 12 inch joe is getting the closet as well. WHY?! He's the first action figure...beaten by some animated posers...what is the world coming to?
Say no to AFA.

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 07:34:31 PM »

Well after digesting this news for a bit, I feel better.  

Like many people have pointed out hasbro has been releasing way too much product too fast, I didn't even get any wave 6, just skipped it for wave 7.

So this will do some good for my wallet. If they bring the line back in a year or two great.

Hopefully most people will stick around the forums though, the online community is a lot of what made this hobby great.

Lastly there's one thing I'm surprised no one mentioned yet; if Hasbro pulls the 3/3/4 line, the the major retailers are going to discount their stock hardcore to free up the space, which means CHEAP VEHICLES!
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers